Arkansas river fishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by janton311, Jun 12, 2006.

1. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    anyone know of some good spots in the arkansas around the wichita area, ive found a few good holes but am always looking for more

2. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Hey Jenton: The only places I have fished in Wichita is below the dam where the little arkansas dumps into the big Arkansas & off the end of 31st street south & Washington I used to live on 31st street in 54 & 55. A friend & I floted down the river once from Wichita to Ark City back in 55 caught a lot of fish & sure had a great time it taken us a week we were both on vacation.

3. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks for responding earl, actually I have fished that spot many times I used to live on mosley a couple blocks south of pawnee. right around the corner.:smile2:

4. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd think if a guy were to put in somewhere in the south part of town and wade along the sandbars with a bucket of Danny King's he would catch a truckload of channels. I've always thought I'd do that some summer night just to see what I could catch.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was at Garvey Park, (south Wichita) where we (the City) just completed a canoe launch on the river there. This old timer was cleaning channel cat there at the ramp. He had a stringer full of fish between 2 and 6 lbs he had caught that morning somewhere down stream. His pants were wet up to his waist, so he must have been wading quite a bit. He told me he catches his limit every morning fishing in this manner.

He also eats all he catches, and he only had two arms, two eyes, and was not glowing that I could tell! Of course it was daylight! :big_smile:

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can't help but think that could be a gold mine for someone willing to put in a little effort. I think a guy could wade almost everywhere along that stretch of river. A light action rig and a bucket of Danny King's should produce a whole bunch of fun. I'm not too sure I'd eat anything out of there though.

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm kinda like Earl. Fished it back in the 50's a lot. I realize it has changed a lot since then. It sure looked a lot different 2 years ago when I was there visiting a buddy that still lives there. Anyhow, we always fished the stretch from Mt. Vernon on south to the Broadway bridge.

They have built the bridge where Greenway Blvd made the curve and turned into Pawnee since I left. But we would sit on 5 gallon buckets below the bridge and always manage to catch some channels.

Also used goldfish below the dam where Earl fished. Did good there too but didn't fish it much since we had to walk everywhere we went back then and it was a pretty good trek from the south end to the dam.