Arkansas River Colder Weather Fishing

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by sgpettit, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sgpettit

sgpettit New Member

State:
    AR
    I have usually been too busy this time of year getting ready for hunting and have not usually worried about fishing, but I hear that people do really well on the Arkansas river with approaching cold weather. What is your experience with cold weather catfishing?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I have do ok on the Arkansas River during the cold weather but do not use this as a gage because I was fishing the river where the hot water outlet empties into the river. I fish the Nuclear plant at London during the winter.

3. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    I think the best blue catfishing is from october to march. The arkansas river has always been good to me in the winter.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with BigB, we switch from fishing mode to catching mode during those months. Just dress warm and remember safety first, that cold water can kill you. Not trying to scare you, just need to really be paying attention more in the winter.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The cats seemed to be hitting pretty well this past weekend; not just blues, but channels and flatheads, too.

6. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    You guys can't listen to Jerry he always catches fish. And I totallly believe that! he spends time on the river. I'll get there some day when I retire. But what he didn't say was that He's got a secret way he hooks up shad that will increase the ratio between bites and fish landed. Hats off to you my friend!and i'm not sayin anything you haven't said on the net., but if I remember correctly, he hooks them in the eyes then brings it back thru the tail, or visa vera. My personal preference is gizzard shad heads with the gut pocket in tact on a trible hook #1, or #2. let'um run for a minute and then snatch their butts out. The problem #1 my clinch knot has been slipping and I've been losing big fish so I'm switching to a palimar knot for the hook. Also the availability of fresh bait in the winter. I want fresh skipjack in the winter but it's hard to find.

7. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Also I ain't new I just haven't been here for awhile

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Steve, what type and test line are you having trouble with on the clinch knot. And are you using the clinch knot, or the improved clinch knot? The clinch type knots won't hold on the braided superlines; you have to use the palomar. If you're using the improved clinch knot on mono, remember that the smaller the diameter, the more turns you make around the mainline. And always wet the knot on mono before you pull it tight. To connect braided & mono, use the albright knot.

And while you're right about threading the hook & line through the eyes and hooking the shad in the tail, that's just for small shad, which I don't like to use unless they're really fresh. They just start to rot too quickly to use on jugs. Nor do I catch fish all the time. There are certain times, certain places, certain river conditions where I can guarantee fish, but put me on a lake, and the results are likely to be pretty bleak.

9. Steve W

Steve W New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I think I've been forgeting to wet the knot. I generally fish with 20 lb mono.
    I've been wondering if I was bringing the leading edge of the line backward
    through the loop. ie go throught the eye of the hook, and back again, create your loop,then twist six to seven times around the main line, then back throught the loop and pull both ends. snug the loop down and clip excess line.
    everything 20lbs or less comes home. But I may not be wetting the knot before I snug it down. Thanks

10. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
  11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    By the way, on the above link, the 'clinch knot' shown is actually an 'improved clinch knot'. I think the improved actually is an improvement over the old standard clinch knot, and have used the improved version for decades.

http://www.killroys.com/knots/clinch.htm

12. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    Is Jugging any good on Ark. river in cold weather or do you need to fish deep holes mainly?

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I really don't know. When I lived up in Atkins, by this time of year, I had moved my fishing to the nuclear plant warm water outlet. I'd fish that till spring. Now, it's 100 miles one way to get there, and half of it is blocked off. I've been saying that I was going to give winter jugging on the Arkansas a try, but just haven't gotten around to it. It doesn't help that I just can't seem to stand the cold weather like I used to.

14. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    havent been fishing the arkansas around here latley. its been down for quite a while but theres a few good holes i need to go try.