Arkansas River catfish, Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by caatstalker, Jun 23, 2006.

1. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    just back off a 3 day stay on the river . the blues are just starting to wake up . as long as they are running water the fish were killing shad. any kind of shad, from about 3.oclock until thry shut the water down. was at webber #16 lock. largest was 14. i saw a 30. but not me . but 4-10 were just wearing me out, was awful hot. but much fun . cought my eaters for a while c/r the rest. i was caching 20/30 a day . cought a few on pearch, had one break off after a good run. sorry no pix, was by myself . had my hands full going to rest up, going again, oh yeah was bank fishing . this time im going to take my boat. folks drifting the scour hole, were tearing them up . some were caching them on minners. next couple weeks should be good .

2. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Where in Oklahoma is that??? I fish the arkansas is wichita

3. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Some friends set out some lines this weekend and I am attaching a pic of the fish. The biggest was 50 lbs average was 37lbs. Beautiful fish.

4. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm going to try and upload the pic again-----

Attached Files:

5. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Misty,
    Good to see you posting. Missed you at Keystone.

6. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mike,

Thank you - I missed Keystone but have read the posts. Sounds like everyone had a great time. Seems like there is always something going on and I do check to see where the fish are biting and who is catching them, so keep up the posts!
    I am attaching a pic of the fish caught last weekend. Fried some today with Uncle Buck's and it was wonderful!

Attached Files:

7. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    This was the last fish of the day and my favorite! He sure was a pretty catfish.

Attached Files:

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Looks like some good eatin to me.:smile2:

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I've never caught any fish like that in CACHE, OK but then agian I only fished the reervation land a few times when I was younger and visiting my G-ma. Nice fish looks like yall had a good trip.

10. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    finally got out monday morning and yes, it is definatly back on. i managed one blue that weighed 32 pounds and lost the biggest flathead ive seen personally. i had him in shallow water and he just flipped out on me. 3/4s of his body was out of the water multiple times. needless to say that thing threw the hook and left me standing in aw. if you all could have seen the back half of him and felt his weight. im telling you it was big. oh well, maybe next time it wont be so lucky.. also that flat bit on a real fresh big sucker head. i know it was a flat because i saw him so well, but as to big dead bait? ive seen it before but in weird parts of the year such as early spring.

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Hey captain I saw some the other day too in the shallows dorsel fin and back of the fish plum out of the water:crazy: He probably go 35lbs..He was rasing some cain...I fish the Ar. river at scranton and the blues are waking up here too.

12. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    after seeing my post again i want to clarify. sounds like a monster but ive only caught flats up to 33 pounds so thats the biggest ive seen. this thing had to be at least 50 pounds. it was definatly heavier than the 55 pound blue in my pic. just cant wait until next weekend now for another chance that i probably wont get...

13. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    got a call from my fishing buddy tonight. he said he was fishing a mile or so from where i fished monday. was using cut herring and caught 3 flatheads. smallest 16 and biggest 22. said he was only fishing for an hour during the 3 pm heat and nailed them on cut bait. what the heck are these arkansas river flatheads doing to typical flathead behavior? biting cut baits during the heat of the day? i would even think they are still spawning but hey, take it when you can get it. the only bad news i have is the access to the river i have is coming to an end. i know a property owner who lets me access the river through his land but hes putting big fences up so i cant come and go as i please anymore... ugh...

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I want to come down there and catch some of those monsters.

Aaron

TA2D

15. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great looking fish looks like you all had a good time.:big_smile:

16. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

We have gotten some good rain the last few days and there's good current on the channel. I'm sure the flatheads are taking advantage of any food offering right now. I've been lake fishing and been catching 3 to 6 flatheads a night lately biggest being 21 pounds so...who knows maybe the spawn is over for a majority of them right now. The females will be biting at least. Oh by the way none of the flatheads I've caught recently have touched my live bait all fresh cut shad.

17. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i suppose their all beat up and worn out and thats why their taking cut baits huh? were all your flats female? i just saw the one i missed so i dont know if it was male or not. also zach didnt say wether his were male or female. the blue i caught was a male and it was complety busted up and real skinny. his head looked ridiculous compared to his body. i took some good photos of it with my hand next to its head to show its size. well hopefully this weekend will bring on some good flatties for us. ah, and i completly forgot.. that blue swallowed a big circle hook and it gut hooked him so far down i couldnt see the hook at all even when i looked through the gills. i hope it doesnt screw him up. i just cut the string cause i didnt know what to do. doh! :embarassed:

18. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    The 21 pounder I caught was a female. The only way I know that is it was still full of eggs. Some fish never get around to spawning each year is guess. The rest of the flatheads I've caught in the last week or two, I have no idea what sex they were since they were all released.

19. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like they are about to light it up again. Good news and Misty thanks for sharing the pictures.

20. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Last weekends catch-pic attached. Beautiful day on the river.