arkansas river at pine bluff

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Jul 27, 2008.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i would like to go to pine bluff in october for a few days of fishing on the ark river. i drift for big blues and would like to know about the shad base in the river there. where do you obtain your bait? here at home the red river has a good shad population and we catch them with cast nets around the sand bars. also, what is normal pool at pine bluff? the nooa graph is showing 31 ft now and flat. what level is best to fish?

2. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Billy , i also fish the river at pine bluff. All the time ,if you go to lock #4 at the park they call shephard island you can get all the shad and skipjack you want. Im not real sure what flow is the best but i just fish it all the time . Right now it is produceing some real good blues and flatheads- and alot of stripers. when you set on a date to go look me up

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    tallmanrus i think i read that you were a bank fisherman, do you use a cast net to catch your bait? i'll surely give you a holler before i come up there to get the lodown.

4. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I boat fish and bank fish but bank fishing is the easiest work for me now :smile2: I use a cast net right up by the dam and can fill a bucket

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    do u drift for blues or tie up

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    robert does sheppard park have any cabins to rent

7. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    sorry but no- come over to chat were in there now

8. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    i do both , but its just whatever i feel like at the time , but drifting produces some good fish

9. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    no cabins but some good camp sights

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    sorry about the chat room----i had to download java to get on and ya'll were gone by then

11. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    thats ok java takes awhile for dialup mostly

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Robert, I looked at the Sheppard Public Use webpage, and I can't find anything about camping there. In fact, it says that there is camping available 23 miles away, at the next dam down the river. Is the webpage out of date? If I were to drive my motorhome down for a weekend, is there a place to put it? I'd really hate to drive that gas guzzler down and then not have a place to park it.
    When do you normally go fishing there at the park? Maybe we could meet up there sometime, even if I don't bring the motorhome.

13. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Jerry im not sure if you could set up at shephard island or not , but i will find out . I do know there is a place not real far from the area called reganal park. it sits on lake long hoffer that is a horseshoe lake that empties into the arkansas river . Johnnie (poisonpitts) has been here with me . Its a real nice area with campgrounds and golfcoarse etc . It does sit above the dam inbetween # 4 and 5 . It is only about a 15 -20 minute drive from shephard island . The river is down now so im going to start fishing the river here . we could drive to shephard island also . i work shift work so you would have to just let me know . im off aug .18 - thru the 25 so that might be a good time to meet up .Johnnie was also wanting to do something then , and a new member (billy-fishstick) was also wanting to meet up to do some drift fishing for some blues so maybe we can have a small get together here for a day or two or three . i got a boat we can use and he probably also has a boat - let me know guyes

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I could probably bring down my boat, but I need to take it out and make sure it's running OK first. I haven't had it out yet this year. But if I'm going to have to camp 20 minutes away from the ramp, I'll have to give camping some thought; it only takes me about twice that long to drive down from my house, since I live in SWLR. Of course, if there's going to be several others camping there, that could definitely be some quality time.

15. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Jerry , the boat ramp is at the camp grounds , you can park your boat in the water at the camp . the lower part of the dam is 15-20 min. away . but we can fish on the upper part that you can get to from the camp . Its all good fishing .But the lower part of the dam has a ramp also- so we have two options to put in.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'm trying to figure my schedule so i can drive down thursday nite and get there early, early friday morning the 22nd. robert, i'll call you this weekend and figure out the particulars. just let me know when is a good time to call.

17. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Shoot yall i dont live but about 20 miles from the park and i might pitch a tent. I didnt think about it but we can fish friday and just go through the lock and be at the dam. its only about 2 or 3 miles up river and some great fishing along the way . but we'll play it by ear. Two others might want to join us DH and glenda(puppypal ) from sheridan. some new members we need to welcome , and johnnie will be here . so call me if you need to

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hmmm. Weekend of the 22nd, huh? I'll try to make that, but with the way things have been going, I can't make any promises. Are you talking about launching the boats where we camp, or will we have to tow them to the ramp?

19. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    I see I have not been on the board near enough! Tall - you best count me in on this little adventure! I will be there! Welcome to the BOC Billy!

Since we are talking fishing, and getting together, then let me go ahead and throw this on the table. I was thinking of haveing a gathering at Tar Camp park. Tar Camp is located just up river from Lock and Dam #5 at Redfield. I drove out there the other day and it has some very nice camp areas. With plenty of Bank Fishing and a nice boat launch. Camping fees are $19.00 a night and you have to pay $3.00 to launch.

This would just be a camp and fish gathering with a lot of BS on the side. No big meals, giveaways, contest or anything. JUST CAMP AND FISH!!!

If there is enough interest from Arkansas Members and maybe a few non-Arkansas members, then I will start a thread in the Gathering section and we will see what we can get rolling. I have no more vacation time, and due to being close to me, then we would just have this starting on friday night and ending by Sunday morning AND will be planned after in cools down some(hate the heat)!!!

20. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sounds like a pretty good idea Newt but don't know if I'll be able to attend my self. Would love to but it would depend on a lot of things. If it is late Sept or into Oct. I might be able to make it.

I don't have much vacation time left either so if it gets planned on a weekend that I am off anyways that would help but don't go planning this thing around me do it for when most Arkansas members can be there. If it happens to fall on a weekend I'm off then maybe I can make it. But if not all of ya'll can just brag to me about the good time you all had. I'll enjoy hearing the tales almost as much as being there.