Arkansas River at Pine Bluff, Arkansas

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by vetrock, Mar 23, 2009.

1. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    20 years ago (wow), we'd fish for channels where they unloaded corn from barges at the Tyson feed mill.

Do they still unload corn there, and does anyone still fish there?

2. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Not sure but I will ask DH he will know. He is always hanging out around Pine Bluff fishing somewhere.

3. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Rocky , are you talking about regional park area, if you are they are loading feed there now. My main spot is shephard island and down by rison star. if you go to rison star you can go right up from the ramp and fish at bungie (maybe 1/4 of a mile) and they load corn on the barges there. You can fill a cooler with channels there at times. and there are some good blues and flatheads in there also. If you want to go some time let me know.

4. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Yep, thats the spot. I'd love to go. As a teenager, you could catch a ton of small channels on a worm. I think my oldest son would have a blast with that. The problem is finding the time. I've got the next few weeks booked.

Do they just load at certain times? I should take an afternoon off, and take him up there.

5. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I am gonna try to go Wednesday afternoon. I'll have to be back in Warren by dark. I hope to take my oldest son (he's 5).

What would you use for bait? We used worms way back when.

6. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Rocky , i have never tried any worms , but they should be good ,(i usually use shad- but others do great on stink bait -i got some in my boat and i will see what kind it is and post back later) When you take your boat up river to bungie-the spot , go along the inside area where they load the barges and tie onto the wooden post and cast out in front of the post down river ,dont cast to far ,just 25-50 ft and hold on and have fun . there is a spot there where they congragate. If they are loading barges -wich they usually are its all the better but i have caught some when they wasnt loading also. If that dont work go up river about 1/2 mile and there is a rock dike that comes way out and has a tall metal post at the end. Go all the way to the start of the dike (near shore ) and get almost to the banc, there is a 40 ft hole there. Another good spot.(stay to the side down river) There is alot of breaks in the rock dike with flowing water - produceing some good eaters and some big fish. That is also been known to produce some good flatheads there , and with the weather going to be nice it should do good for yall. At the end of the same dike -towreds the river end it has a 70 ' hole if you want to catch some bigger ones. There is allways rough water there fish along the side of it(banc side) down along the poles in the calm water , i got a 12 lbr out of there a couple of weeks ago. good luck and and have fun. PS : i have fished alot of the river and this is my favorite spot of all--------Robert

7. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Great info. thank you!

8. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Darnit. A small craft advisory is on the river and i have a 5 yr old who is not great in a boat. Better wait til the water goes down a little.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never fished it, but there's a big, good-looking backwater right across the river from Tar Camp. The main launching ramp there is in a little cove right off the river, but there's also a launching ramp into Tar Camp Creek; it's about a mile from there to the river, then just shoot straight across into the backwater.

10. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    According to the internet the flow is down the 68000 at the AR River at PB, and 86000 at Lock and Dam #4.

Not sure which one i should pay more attention to, but the flow has dropped significantly in the last 2 days.

I may the kiddo out wednesday afternoon to try to catch a channel cat at bungie.

11. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    this is puppypal's DH never been to where you guys are talking about but would love to join who would like to go and you know I can't get out fishing with out pretty little puppypal DH,S WIFE. But my best advice is no matter were or if the fish is biting take as much time off as you can and take those kids fishing !!!!!!

12. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Glad to see you DH . I work shift work and i love fishing the area rocky is talking about. I got room in my boat for 3 people ,she can be slow at times but a good river boat. Rocky i allways call lock # 4 because i allways fish below it , it runs 13 miles befor the next dam .(870-534-2127)
    Ive also been told they have opened trulock park - 3 miles down from shephard island # 4 . i will check it out tomorrow and post what i see . Dh if yall want to hook up and go just pm me and we can plan a day to go.

13. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Its cranking back up over 90000 now. It'll be a game time decision for me and my crew tomorrow around noon. Maybe it will go back down.

Is there a spot to bank fish at bungie? Or anywhere around the dam for that matter?

14. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I was told that you can drive down to the lower part of the dam at rison star, i met a man the other day that just got back from banc fishing there and he had a cooler full of 2-8 lb blues caught off the banc there at the dam. when i get off of graveyard form work in the morning i will drive down there and check it out, i have never been there myself and i will post when i get home in the morning to let you know what i found , i called the dam there and they said they will be around 75,000 by friday . im off tue and wed and will probably go to rison star wed morning after work .

15. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I,M OFF THIS FRIDAY AND @ THIS TIME I PLAIN TO GO SOME WHERE . I NORMALLY FISH LOCK AND DAM FIVE OR MURRY HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO GO TO SHEPARD AND DUMAS AS YOU KNOW THE RIVER IS UP AND I CANT SEEM TO LOCATE ANY SHADE OR SCIPJACK I DONT KNOW WHAT HOURS YOU WORK TO CALL WITHOUT WAKING YOU MY HOURS ARE 3 TO 12 (#917-8778)AND NORMALLY UP BY 8 AM. PUPPYPAL HAS TO WORK "SUCK BEING HER" BUT SHE WILL NOT SET FOOT IN A BOAT.SHE WILL FISH THAT BANK FROM DAY LITE TILL DARK BUT NOT IN A BOAT.WITH THAT NOTE SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FISHING WITH HER ON THE BANK WHICH IS JUST FINE WITH ME.NOT MANY GUYS GET THAT MUCH OUT OF THERE WIVES. PM ME AND WE WILL GO FROM THERE.

16. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    I took the wife and boys (3 and 5 yrs old) today. We put in at St. Marie. The Tyson feed mill is about 100 yds from the ramp. We motored out onto the river and looked at the Bungie that is about 1/2 mile up river. No activity there. So, we went back to Tyson. There is an empty barge parked there right now.

I think you could catch enough 8" channels to stock a pond around the barge. We only caught one keeper there though. We pulled out abour 20 yards from the barge into deeper water and caught 3 more we could fillet.

So we caught 4 in all between 1-2 lbs. The boys and the wife had fun, and nobody fell out of the boat. So, it was a good day.

I think when the water dets a little warmer and there is actually activity going on at either place, then more and better channel can be caught.

We caught all of them on worms except for one cat that actually ate skipjack then went and ate the worm. I pulled him in with 2 hooks in his mouth. Never had that happen before.

17. vetrock

vetrock New Member

State:
    ar
    Also, the river itself is very muddy. And we caught probably 20 little bitty cats, and coulda caught a hundred had we not got bored with it.

18. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Sound like you had a wonderful day with the family.the water will hopefully clear up and bait fish will start running again which will make those big cats come backout play.hope we dont get to much rain tomorrow but never the less i,m off work for a three day weekend and will be fishing somewhere all three days.cant catch anything if you dont have a hook in the water. have a good one!!

19. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    well at least yall are able to do some fishing , i havent even seen the river in 3 weeks ,and its killing me not to go . Ive been on 12 hours this week and im off tue and wed ,,and will probably load the boat up and take it to work with me mon night and fish tuesday morning when i get off. ill probably go to rison star park -Dam # 3 This is probably my favorite spot to fish ,alot of good spots not far up river. If yall need shad i can put you on a shad whole that usually has shad year around, and if anyone wants to join me tuesday morning let me know .

20. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    To bad your not off work friday, I would have joined you.But it is a good thing to have a job where you are working O.T and not worrying if you will have a job tomorrow,a lot of that going on these days.thanks for the offer on shad. I am going to lock dam #5 friday A.M and just maybe the bait fish will be back and the cat are bitting if not just may be calling you next week to take you up on that shad offer.What is a good time of the day to give you a ring so i want wake you? (cell #870-917-8778 ) call me anytime between 8 am and 2am if i dont catch you please leave a message.