Arkansas River at Ozark, water levels

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by ccat, Aug 10, 2008.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I will fish back down at Ozark this coming Friday and wonder about the rain we are getting. I know this isn't the rain we had in March, but can anyone tell me if all this rain will affect the river by Friday? I have just started fishing down there this summer, and don't know the river well yet. I have wondered if the water color gets stained like lakes do with lots of rain. I guess a lot of it depends on the rain they get in Oklahoma too.
    I will take any help I can get on this.
    Someone said the blues might be spawning now, or flatheads might be too. Can anyone elaborate on this about river fish.
    One more question: I might be fishing down there in a boat. Do I need to hug up to the dam or just start there and drift? I have noticed the past 2 trips off the bank/gravel bar, that the current flow slows down after about 9:00pm and the shad disappear. Can I still net shad up there by the dam and the look jetty?
    Thanks and good luck,
    ccat

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Above in my post, I meant to spell it LOCK Jetty, not look jetty.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ccat at least 99% of the spawn if not all is over here.yes if its rained enough to get the small creeks and rivers running it will muddy up the river but that seems to just help fishing on the river.

4. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Johnnie,
    Will I have to fish differently if the river muddies up? I still don't know if I will be in a boat or the bank. Probably the gravel bar below the lock.
    thanks
    ccat

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i never have i just use a 3 way in the rocks and a caralina rig on the sand bars.live bait hooked threw the lips for flatheads and shad or cut perch for channels and blues.

6. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    ccat if you want to know the flow you can check it here-http://www.swt-wc.usace.army.mil/ click on lower arkansas then click on ozark. this gives hourly flows and river level.

7. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
  8. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Just looked at the corps prediction of the river flow at Ozark. I am really wanting to head down there tomorrow night (8/15). They said it should be around 58,000cfs. I will bank fish. Will that be a problem and will the fish still bite with that current?
    good luck.
    ccat

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I would watch the weather 1st:eek:oooh: rain & storms coming friday-friday night 70%...they should bite in the current...just around the rock-point that washed away gererator side by the higline tower to the right a little they been tearing up on bottom..

10. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    sam,
    I will probably head down there tomorrow/Saturday. This weather up here in Fayetteville is still on and off. I was going to bank fish, but that report you gave means I need to take a boat, right?
    ccat

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    No Chris there getting them off the bank...kind of a long walk though:wink: ya park on the generator side in the camp area..follow trail to the right just past the point...youll be looking straight acroos at the end of the barge wall....right in there ...let her rip!!!!:smile2:

12. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    sam,
    I went last night and fished my usual lock side. I know the area you must be talking about as we fished until about 1:30am and could see 4 lights/camp fires across the river. I could see people walking down from that camp area and heading down river. I only saw 2 fish caught on the north side, and it wasn't from my area. I didn't catch any shad there either.
    Oh well, I need to leave that spot next time and explore the other side. It would indeed be a little of a walk, but that never hurt anyone. I might like the prospect of dragging some nice eating sized fish out of there anyway.
    thanks,
    ccat