arkansas river above the three forks

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by capt theory, Nov 11, 2005.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    now we can have an arkansas river thread. now whats the word on the cats in the arkansas? theres times when you cant find them anywhere and theres times when you cant keep a baited hook in that river without risk of loosing your pole. i havent been out to much this summer but im planning on hitting it hard when things slow down here.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know about the Arkansas that far upstream, but here in Arkansas, if there's no current, the fish are really hard to find, and even harder to get to bite. I've done best in these conditions fishing on the back side of rocky dikes, especially where there are several dikes connecting with each other. If there's any kind of power plant discharging warm water, these are excellent areas when the water elsewhere is cold.

3. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I'm still fishing mostly on L @ D 18 but still get to 17 every once in a while. I was down at Afton Landing and was downstream of highway 51 a couple weeks ago during black powder. I didn't fish but there sure were tons of fish on the graph. Winter time I always seem to good on the channel. There hasn't been much current lately but watch for rain and check the release rates to schedule your time on the water. I don't care if it's the spring prespawn or the dead of winter the current really turns of those blues. The water has really been dead on the river right now. Did you ever get to Oolagah and fish the upper end of the lake?

4. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    no i didnt get out to oologah like i wanted to. the guy i fish with didnt feel like getting around to hauling the boat up there this summer. now i guarantee whoever puts their time in will reap the rewards. fished below 33 landing saturday with no luck so i went on the arkansas this morning and got 3 nice cats around 10 pds each. that at least tells me that some fish are heading to the wintering holes. now just a couple of nice cold fronts and we are in business!!!

5. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    Well Josh, we have cold fronts! I'm gonna have to follow you and Chris around one of these weekends to figure out what youre talking about. Justy unfamiliar. Keep the reports coming though.