Arkansas River above L&D16

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by tkishkape, Apr 20, 2008.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Saturday was a great day to be fishing. Matt Dodge and I launched from Highway 10 Landing and found Steve Nolan and his son fishing on the river. We politely hollered at each other, and proceeded to catch fish... lots of fish.

Matt and I caught and released several fish over 10 pounds, some over 15 while filling an ice chest with eaters. When the ice chest was full, we started releasing all the fish back to the water.

After we decided that we had been sunburned red enough to qualify as crab boil, we went back to the ramp.

11 fish were cleaned, 5 bluse and 4 channels from 4 pounds to 10 each. I'm not so sure about Matt, but I was one tired puppy when it was all over.:tounge_out:

2. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    hey albert are you finding these fish on your locator or fishing structure or.....i wouldn't mind a few tips from an old salt like yourself. we have the bait tank,color locator,rods,patience,everything we need but i still don't think were catching as many fish as we should. btw when i use the term old salt that is all compliment. lol.

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Randy... I hate to admit it, but last winter I hit a submerged stump and broke the mount to my Garmin Transducer. It has been glued back on so many times that the glue refuses to stick anymore. Next step is trying to buy a new bracket for an obsolete transducer.

I have to hunt for the fish using my memories and experiences graphed against the prevailing weather conditions. Basically, I read my log from previous years and find similar weather conditions, then look for the structural element. For the most part, I have to hunt several locations to find the fish, but it almost always works... and well.

The electronics are fun to play with, but there's nothing quite as accurate as a logbook and good notes. Maybe I'll publish my logbook someday when I can't get out and fish any more.

Thank you for the compliment. "Old Salt" is a very high compliment to any seaman. I did serve for 4 years in the Navy aboard a "Tin Can" (USS Ozbourn DD-846 1969-73) and attained the high rank of Shellback. Anyone that don't know what rank that is will just have to experience it for themselves!

I can show you easier than I can tell you, so Let's Go Fishin!

4. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    i may try and book a winter trip with you. i might be going to south dakota pheasant hunting. i need to see how that plays out first. $$$. thanks for the reply.

5. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I found some good stickum..can be used inside and out ..on all typs of things it is in a caulking tube
    PL polyurethane premium construction adhesive..at lowes and home depot and maybe your local hardware store..

when it hardens it is like them old beige tupperware cups...

i stuck some on the bottom of my boat

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I'll have to go look for some at the Tru-Value down the street. Thanks for the tip! I'll let you know how it works out.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Albert....Did ya ever REPLCE those glasses ya lost year when we went fishing???:eek:oooh::smile2::tounge_out:

8. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Randy, you should definately book a trip with ole Albert, he'll put you on some heavy hard hitting action, I highly recomend him for anybody, you won't be disappointed

9. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    I'll take two copies of your log book:wink:While aboard USS NASHVILLE with the USMC,the Captain put the the ship to a vote -Shellback or Virgin Islands,I'm glad to say the islands were great!'Course that means I,m still a Wog,but I'm too old to draft now:roll_eyes:

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Sam... you would remember those glasses...:embarassed:

I replaced them... and then lost the new pair in much the same way... when I fell in the river again.

Just replaced them again about a month ago. When I got them home, I immediately installed a set of Gogglebobbers on them. Still got them! So far...

I just wish that my cell phone carrier offered a phone that was waterproof and floated! I've lost three of them in the river in two years!

My log book is not yet for sale... I'm still writing it! :smile2:

11. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    albert, we use gorilla glue on ours it works real good. like you we too fish the stumps and we count on sooner or later tearing something up thats life fishing the stump fields but i guess if it was easy they wouldn`t call it fishing:wink: we fished last weekend on kerr caught some 15lb. blues and one 25 lb. blue all in 2 or 3 ft. deep, all were laying in the mud. can`t beat that reel music!:smile2:

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Steve... I just applied a generous coating of Gorilla Glue to my transducer this afternoon. Man... that stuff lives up to it's name... It's Ugly!

It wouldn't stay put, kept dripping off into a growing pile on the garage floor. I went back an hour later and the stuff had turned to foam. The pile on the floor was 6" tall and 6" across. The mess on the boat looks like... well,... nasty!

But y'know what? It's TOUGH like a hard plastic covering the foam. That stuff foamed all over the transducer and the hull, making a uniform encapsulation that just might last until I hit another stump up at Keystone this weekend.

Thanks! I'll keep a bottle around!

Are y'all coming to Keystone for the benefit tournament at New Prue on Saturday?

It should be interesting... with the water being 16 feet high and all.

13. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    albert the only problem with gorllia glue it expans and sometimes it will push apart, a good wrap of duct tape will hold in in place until the glue sets up. i guess we`ll fish kerr, to far with gas 3.45 a gal.