Arkansas River 9-1

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by boliver, Sep 1, 2007.

1. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    Brother and i went to river about noon today by 3:30 we caught 16 kept 14 largest was 5lb 12 oz down to about 1 1/2 lb.We really had a great time all were blues and all caught on skipjack.
    boliver

Attached Files:

2. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    sounds like alot of fun...i really enjoyed the cool morning on my way to work this morning...(at 4 am) yeah i had to go in to work with some navy contract workers but i am going to try to wet a line sun. or mon.....thinkin' of bank fishin' the river...dont know if i should get my little boat out with as many people that will be out on the holiday weekend...(my boat is a 12' jon):wink:
    have a great weekend......

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a great trip Kenneth. Those blues love them skips. I went to Kerr dam this morning and skip fished from daylight til 8:30. No skips today. Hopefully they will be at 13 before long. They were tearing the blues up there also from 2 to 5 lbs. Looks like the makings for a good fish fry:big_smile:.

4. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    some body please tell me what skipjacks are...i think i know but i guess i always thought these were shad:confused2: ...call me ''stoopid'' if ya want:smile2:
    we fished @ alma lake for a few hours thursday to get out of the house for awhile and we saw hourds of small fish right at the surface jumpin' and schoolin' around... am i hot or cold on sayin' those are skipjack?????

5. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Tim, there are no stupid questions. You might look in the bait section of the board. I think i have seen where someone posted pictures of them. The best way for me to describe them is they look like mini tarpon. The ones you seen schooling in Alma Lake were shad.

6. 4/0 kahle

4/0 kahle New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thanx for the info....:wink:
    schooling shad..wonder what grade their in....sorry...my funny may not be your funny:smile2:

7. r_corter12

r_corter12 New Member

State:
    Carlisle,AR
    DONT WORRY EVERYONE HAS TO LEARN WHAT SKIPS ARE AT SOME POINT I DIDNT LEARN UNTILL I STARTED FISHING THE RIVER 7 YRS AGO.NOW I LOOK FOWARD TO THE BIG SKIP RUN EVERY YEAR IN THE SPRING I FILL THE FREEZER WITH THEM I ACTUALLLY LIKE TO CATCH THEM I HAVE A BLAST WITH IT.FYI NO MATTER HOW YOU CUT UP A SKIP SCALE IT FIRST IVE SEEN SOME PPL LEAVE THE SCALES ON THIS MAKES IT EXTREMELY HARD TO RUN THE HOOK THROUGH.

8. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    This was my first experience jug fishing and it was really fun. We had two and three jugs bobbing up and down a few times.

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Lewis, how deep were you fishing your jugs? Jug fishing is a blast when they are biting like that.

10. bolivar 0637

bolivar 0637 New Member

State:
    Alma, Arkansas
    My jugs lines were too short, (6' - 8')) so we ended up just using my brothers jugs, I think his hooks were at about 8' & 12'. We ended up just baiting the 12 foot hook.

11. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    so..umm...fish fry at bolivars monday? :big_smile:

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    lewis if you wil check out the cat noodles by wild wolf products you can adjust the line from 3 to 50 foot.i have 24 of them and there great.

13. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    went today on the river didn't have near as much luck, caught 7 keepers, had one that was big don't know what it was but never got it to come up didn't put too much pressure on it and he finally got hung up. it was really exciting just feeling him. What ever it was,it was been the biggest fish i have ever had a hold of. skipjack was the bait of choice.all in all it was a wounderful day to be on the water. good company and fellowshipand what a beautiful day.a litle too much current at start of the day but they dropped it later. lol:wink: