Arkansas River 5-29-06

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by samh, May 29, 2006.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Went to the river this afternoon below the dam at Morrilton, sat in the truck for an hour and a half wait'n on the rain to slack up enough to put the boat in, then fished for about 3 hours with no luck, not any current, they were not even running the generators any, threw my cast net til I gave up with only 4 shad and 2 perch, fished pretty close as it never stopped rain'n and I didn't want to get too far from the truck. A barge locked through and gave us a little water for a few minutes and my son in law tied on a rattle trap and caught a 2 and a 4 lb bass, that was it, still beat sit'n at the house, gotta get better, guess its get'n about time to start hit'n it at night, water temp was 84.

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Very good info sam, I like to hear Arkansas fishing reports good or bad!

3. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Might need to check regs . Only bait allowed caught below a dam with a cast net is shad . I could be wrong ,but I don't think so .

4. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    Went bank fishing at toad suck L&D sunday (28th) till 3am and caught nothing. Got up early Monday morning and walked about half a mile down river to a little cove, tried shad and dip bait all morning but had no luck so we used crickets just to catch some panfish for fun, caught 3 channel cats eatin size and only one bluegill. :confused2:

5. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Might need to check regs . Only bait allowed caught below a dam with a cast net is shad . I could be wrong ,but I don't think so .

According to the AGFC web site, you can use bream under 4 inches caught in a cast net and over 4 inches if caught on ahand held hook and line.

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :confused2: Enough about legal issues....Went to the AR. River with my ol' pal Allen on monday...Fished a couple spots that are my favorites.. He cast his punch bait out ..set his clicker to run and picked up the next pole and wham line was stripping in less than 45seconds!! we caught over 50 cats ranging from 2lbs to 10lbs...It was a slaughter:crazy: :crazy: The bait of choice was Danny King.......Shad did produce about 5 fish of the total...:roll_eyes: But it didn't get the big one......

7. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    We fished below L&D#5 Sunday night.
    Caught 25+. Most channel, some blues, and 1 flatcat caught with a goldfish. Danny King's brought in the rest.
    Jimmy

Attached Files:

8. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Exeception : 100 YDS BELOW ANY DAM ONLY SHAD MAYBE TAKEN WITH A NET FOR BAIT.

9. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Good lookin mess. We are gonna drift fish tomorrow night at dardanelle.

10. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Barefoot -

Which boat ramp did you use?

11. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    I put in at Tar Camp and locked through for the first time. As you said in a previous post, it was no big deal at all. Planning on putting in Sat. night and going up river to fish for flatcat. Don't know if there spawning yet.

Jimmy

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Big Sam, I got up early Tuesday morning with plans to go the river over here at Mayflower. When I got up it was raining and when they gave the morning weather they said it would rain all day so I gave up on getting to go. I got on here to see what was going on then around 9 or so it quit raining. When I read this post I just couldn't stand it anymore and I loaded up and got gone at 11:30. It was a good choice. They wouldn't leave that Danny King alone. My first cast didn't even hit the bottom before one nailed it. I didn't catch any big fish but I kept 10 and it was more than we could eat for supper.

I went back Thursday and didn't do quite as good. They had the water shut down the whole time we were fishing and me and my sister only caught 10 that was big enough keep. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks for your inspirational post I would have sat around here all day without it.

ST

13. tim121

tim121 New Member

Am I missing something?

BTW, Caught one blue below the dam at morrilton Saturday - using bream.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Tim, Danny King Punch bait is the only 'stink' bait I've ever used that works and it works great. Here is a link. He is also a sponsor of The Brotherhood.

You also need to get some Looper Rigs, also a sponsor, they are hands down the best rig for holding a 'stink' type bait.

ST

http://dannykingbait.com/

http://www.loopersrigs.com/main.html

15. barefootarkie

barefootarkie New Member

State:
    central Ar
    For those in central Ar., Danny King can be had at Zimmermans bait shop on University Ave. for under $6.00 a quart. Jimmy

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :crazy: Glad to hear that seed tick..I took a colleague from work the next day after we got off work......We had our limit in less than 2 hrs:roll_eyes: DK was the bait of choice....shad did not produce a fisg and only one bite....By the way I observed the largest price I have ever seen for a gallon of punch bait the other day.......49.95 plus tax:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: at a small bait shop that i will not mention....