Arkansas Lakes / Reservoirs Talk

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Cataholic, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Come On Folks!
    Who is fishing where and who is catching what?
    Ponds and Lakes ought to be good in the shallows this time of year with the heat like it's been or maybe deep holes in the rivers, chime in here and let everyone know how your doing! Here on the Arkansas around Dardanelle kitty's are scarce I've been skunked the last three times trying. :mad:

2. catfishkay_

catfishkay_ New Member

We hadn't had much luck here until this past week and a half. Fishin on the North Little Rock side of the river at Cooks Landing and the Hydro plant area has picked up.

Trick is to put your weight on the bottom, hook full of liver in the middle and a good bobber on there and get it out into the current. You may have to wait a good 10 minutes but hey we been pullin in some good 3 to 5 pounders. Channel cat that is........

As for any other spots, well, it is a bit on the slow side......
    Have a good one,
    catfishkay_

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfishkay, does the fact that you fish below Murray L&D mean you're from the Little Rock area?

4. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    :cursing: Cataholic, we been waiting on some good reports to head back to Dardenelle. 90 mile drive for us. And we aint had much luck so far this year.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Smellycat, if you'll put in at the launching ramp at Bigelow, about halfway between Murray L&D and Toadsuck, you'll find some good fishing around the dikes and bluffs. We've drifted down that far from Toadsuck both times I've put in at Toadsuck, and the further down that way we got, the better the fishing was.

6. johnathon281

johnathon281 New Member

State:
    Russellville AR
    well this is going to take some getting use to......lol....soon as i get use the the other one they go and change it on me.......
    :rolleyes:

7. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey John!
    Better get on the bandwagon and git yerself some gear, My son in law tore em up this last weekend. Course he runs jugs round the London area of the river, but 175 pounds of fillets filled his freezer! Says he cant go anymore till he has room, PITY! I told him he could go again and fill mine... :rolleyes: Gimme a holler when yer ready!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Cataholic, was he jugging at the nookie plant outlet, or out in the lake above there?

9. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey Jerry!
    He was fishing about two miles from the outlet upstream around the big island at London using big shiners...

10. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    hey Joe, what you doin monday? Think about fishinnnnnnn. :)

11. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hey Jim!
    You know me! I live and breathe Cattin'

12. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Thanks Jerry. Will try to get down there and try our luck. Need to try some different spots anyway.

13. catfishkay_

catfishkay_ New Member

to reply hon, yep, N. Little Rock to be exact. and you?

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Catfishkay, I live in SW Little Rock, and so does my daughter, Gardenhawk.

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Energy started lowering Lake Hamilton and Lake Catherine levels this afternoon and said both lakes would be lowered a foot by midnight tonight to get ready for Rita. They have never lowered the lake levels that fast since we lived here. Glad to see they are making preparations before the rain gets here. Energy has been posting messages on TV telling folks to check their docks and boats for this sudden draw down.

The folks in Texas are getting hit right now... may God watch over them all.

16. cat_assassin

cat_assassin New Member

State:
    Hot Springs, AR
    Hey I'm new to the area and tryin to find a good place for cats from the bank or a pier or something, please somebody give me some ideas. Miss my texas fishing ! :sad:

17. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    You should try Lake Ouchita. Its supposed to have some decent fishing.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've only catfished Ouachita one weekend. I started out using cut shad, because the lake has a large shad population. Didn't catch a cat. Switched to fresh chicken livers, and did well enough for a fish fry. That was back in stumpy coves that had some kind of channel in them running out to the main lake.
    I heard stories of huge cats just above the dam, and graphed the area with a paper graph recorder; marked a number of fish in the 4'-6' length range, but don't know if they were cats, stripers, or gar.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Cat assassin E-mail or private message old fin, he is from hot springs and should know that area. :D

20. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Hello Fello Arkansans!

Update January 24, 2006...

Everyone knows one of the places I fish where the Illinois Bayou dumps into Lake Dardanelle. I've been noticing the Gulls are hanging around the cove I fish so I decided to go, took a package of 4 Frozen Skipjack about 14" and headed out at eleven A.M. By Noon I was putting Blues (about 3-4 pounds) on my stringer with constant bites making it difficult to fish the three poles I had in the water. The water is approximately 30 feet deep and clear, though I cain't tell you what the water temperature was the air temperature was 60 degrees and sunny with a barometer of 30.16 and steady to rising. By the time the sun started to ease behind the railroad bridge just to the south I had my limit with the biggest going about seven pounds! My Daughters 31st birthday is Friday so I guess it's time for a fry! She's nuts about Dad's fish!

So, Guys find the Gulls and sling some Skipjack!
    Makes your mouths water don't it?