Arkansas harbors giant catfish!

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Apr 4, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    today i went down to the arkansas river below 21st street in wichita with no luck so i went down to lincoln street bridge also in wichita, had a few bites the first few minutes i was there after that nuthin for about an hr:confused2: just as we started to pick up and leave my 10 footer slams down with line screaming off since i had the clicker engaged. i set the hook and couldnt do anything but hold it as she ran up and down the river 3 times then she made another run right for the dam braking 50lb spiderwire :crazy::crazy: bout 30min after that this time my 14footer slams down and the fish is pulling drag i set the hook on this one and i fight it for mayb 30min everytime i gained 20yrd she'd pull off 30yrds and after 40min i got er close to where i could see er to me it looked like mayb a 55-60lb buffalo:eek:oooh: and i guess it didnt like the look of me cuz it took off:smile2: burned off a good bit of line and broke the 65lb spiderwire :crazy:. i didnt kno there where buffalo in there that big or could break 65lb spiderwire:smile2::confused2: wish i had got a look at the first fish:sad2: first one was on catfish dynamite and the second fish hit on a gob of worms. i caint wait to get back down there :smile2::smile2:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    It was probably the wind.:crazy::smile2:
    There are some big buffalo in there.
    Too many rocks for braid though, you might consider some mono.:wink:

3. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    thats the strongest wind ive ever felt :wink: ya mayb some mono might be wat i need who. knows:smile2:

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    that will get your heart pumping, i dont blame ya for wanting to go back. Keep us posted:wink:

5. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    not lying :smile2::crazy::eek:oooh:

6. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, educate me here.......what on Earth is a buffalo?

I keep getting an image of a large, hairy, herbivore in my head. :confused2:

7. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    That had to be a fight Joe.

Hear's one that i caught a couple yrs ago during the winter at perry off the docks while crappie fishing.

5' loumis light action rod 6lb test with a 1/4oz jig.Never would of got him in but it was cold and he really didn't fight that hard.

Attached Files:

• dad.jpg
      dad.jpg
      File size:
      15.5 KB
      Views:
  8. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    I bet that was good eating huh tom?:roll_eyes:

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    With just the right dipping sause he tasted just like chicken:smile2::smile2:

No really he is still swiming somewhere at Perry just so you can catch him on your next trip to Perry Nate:smile2:

I named him Charlie the tuna, so if you catch him tell him I say hey!!:roll_eyes::tounge_out::smile2:

10. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
  11. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Naw, Bennett, honest there is a fish named buffalo. It's a carp-like
    relative of the quillback that generally is a plant eater, but has been
    known to hit on a gob of worms occasionally. It is a big strong fish
    and a real workout to land one. Most people won't eat them, but
    those who do give directions to cook them that are identical to
    carp. There is a thread on the site about them if you are curious.
    We're not sending you on a snipe hunt this time.

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ive had small and big mouth buffalo hit my crappie jigs at Perry Outlet numerous times. :cool2:

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

bufflo fish are not related to the common carp even though most make this mistake the bufflo fish is native to the u.s and was never inported here like the carp. bufflo are more closely related to minnows than anything else(its true look it up) and are a fine eating fish i must say. quill backs was mentioned in this thread so i will say that buffalo fish and quillbacks are not realted either quill backs are a memeber of the sucker famliy though

14. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ok, it's big, it's strong, and it's ugly...........sounds like my kinda fish!:smile2:

15. kansas_catman_16

State:
    Kansas
    :smile2: :smile2::smile2::roll_eyes:

16. NRA_Guns_Winner

NRA_Guns_Winner New Member

State:
    kansas/Oklahoma
    I've been looking for a few spots around Wichita to cat fish. Do you know any areas on the East side, or shall I head to Lincoln St. Bridge, wherever it's at. Jarrod

17. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    That kind of excitement is what Im talkin about! Gotta love those big runs!:wink:

18. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Jarrod, PM Kyle(arkrivercatman) and he will probably give you a list of
    sites to give a look at. Might take you there himself!

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Im not givin anyone a list of places to go fishin but I will go fishin with ya.:wink:
    Theres nothing on the East side other than small city ponds. Good bait holes.:smile2:
    Lincoln produces monster but it will be shoulder to shoulder when the fish are biting. It does requires some heavy gear and tackle.
    Other than that it is a park on the river and a long walk.:crazy::smile2::sad2:
    El Dorado and Cheney have some pretty good fishin.