Arkansas Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by ~CATFISH~, May 15, 2006.

1. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    i usually fish in a creek that runs by my house for small mouth bass, well i recently asked a feller if i could fish in his pond. He told me i could try but there wasnt any fish. Well i went anyway and caught about 20, they were about 9-10 inches long i think they were black bull heads, well any way after we began skinning them there were little yellow worms around thier fins... is this normal? can you still eat the fish. also i just wanted to say hello and about what lb test line do you use when fishing fo big cats at bullshoals?

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Catfish, I have no idea about the worms, just wanted to welcome you to the best fishin site on the web, where from in AR.

3. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Talon, sorry I can't help you with your question about the worms. I have never seen them. But' I would like to welcome you to the BOC.

4. 8898dan

8898dan New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    catfish-
    Ive never seen worms in a fish before, but if I did, I would not eat the meat. Anways welcome to the brotherhood - ill bet someone on this website has some experience.

5. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    ya thanks for the help, north west arkansas im not going to tell a city or any thing because my parents think everyone on the internet are petafiles... lol

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Talon, You do what your folks tell you, they are trying to keep you safe.

I don't know about the worms but I wouldn't eat the fish, correction I couldn't eat them.

And, Welcome to the Brotherhood. Try to get your parents on here with you I think they will enjoy it too.

ST

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :big_smile: welcome to the Hood!! Don't eat wormy fish.....

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Welcome to the BOC. If you thoroughly cook the wormy area, it's safe to eat. I never could handle that, though. When we lived down in Florida, we'd sometimes catch big black drum that had worms in the tail, but we always just cut that part away.

9. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    ya i dont think that i am going to eat the wormy fish but a little creek runs close and i was wondering do you think those fish are clean enough to eat because i caught a nin inch gogle eye and put him back because had black specks on him andi thought that they might be worms.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Catfish, do not eat those fish. Just dont sound right to me. By-the-way where is your home town? I am from London,Arkansas

11. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    First welcome to the B.O.C!! Second, I wouldn't eat those wormy fish, but like Jerry said proper cooking temps would take care of any worries.Third I use 20lb Cajun red and 20 lb berkley big game on my poles , i also have one that i use 24lb spiderwire on but its the braided line and in medium to strong current it knots up so i rarely use that pole, only if i'm at a pond. Anyway again welcome!!!!!:big_smile:

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Catfish,
    Welocme to the BOC. You follow your parents advise and be very proud they are watching out for you. That's just a sign of how much they love you and want to protect you.

Now for the fish. Like the other guys have said, I couldn't eat them. It may be safe but the thought of eating worms would not allow me to even think about trying them. Have your parents read the BOC and let them draw their own conclusions. They can even email or PM some of us if they want to. Most if not all of us are parents too. Good folks here.

13. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    well i am 15... so i am not going to be able to go fishing with any body on the internet so... ill wait until i graduate then ill tell ya where i am from... but my uncle has recently died ( actually gone missing ) but he has a pond filled up with channel cats, since he is gone i cant ask how many he originaly put in it but i think about two-hundred, well how should i maintain them because i kept three 10 pounders the other day and they were good eaten, also he has shad for them to eat but they also come up for dog food, should i just let them go as they are or feed them to because the pond is a county away?

what kind of cat is this? http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/3082-177___168_lbResized.jpg

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Can't tell for sure, but they look like they are probably wels catfish; from over in Europe.

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Talon, Do you know how much he usually fed them? or how often? I fed mine everyday until the water started to get pretty warm and then only ever 2 or 3 days. If you don't know how much he used just watch them when you feed them. They should finish it up fairly quick and if you have a lot of it left when they slow down you need to feed them a lesser amount. It is better to feed them to little than to much. I used fish food I got at a local feed store.

ST

16. ~CATFISH~

~CATFISH~ New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    in thinkin about one cofee can but i dont know is that about right... but he has a lot of minnows in the pond so i dont know if they even need to be fed