Arkansas Blue Catfish now has a size limit at Santee Cooper in SC.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catzilla2, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was just reading the Charlotte Observer online and I read an article stating that at Santee-Cooper lakes there is now a 36" size limit on Arkansas Blue Catfish. Under this new regulation anglers are allowed to keep one blue catfish over 36", and as many as they like under 36".

My question is this, can NC be far behind?

Catzilla2

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Lets hope that they aren't. That would be a great regulation to have in place. I think that they should also be a little more strict on the bush hook and limb line guys as well. There are literally thousands of bush hooks in the NE Cape Fear, Cape Fear, and Black River here in eastern NC. I'm sure it's the case elsewhere in the eastern part of the state. That kind of stuff is OK, I just don't think that it should be OK for a guy to take 100's of pounds of catfish every single week to simply get put in a freezer and thrown away.

3. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thank you Fatflattie for your reply. I had a earlier post on the river section asking for info. about the catfishing on the Black River. Have you ever fished it? Also, what types of catfish are in the Black River? I am mostly interested in the stretch between Atkinson and the hwy 210 bridge. Thanks in advance for any info. that you may be able to give me on this subject.

Catzilla2

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I personally have not fished the river, but I know that there are blues and flatheads in the river and I suspect that there is also some channels to be had as well I've just never heard of any being caught in the Black River. The fishing is very good for bass, but other than that I don't know exactly how the catfishing is in the river. I'm sure it would be difficult to fish. I will tell ya a good spot though is off of Hwy. 53 in Burgaw on the NE Cape Fear. It has quite a few blues, and there absolutely has to be some flatties in there b/c of all the wood cover.

5. Catzilla2

Catzilla2 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info. Flattie. Is there anywhere that a person could bank fish near the hwy 53 bridge, because I do not have a boat. Any ifo would be appreciated.

Catzilla2

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...My question is this, can NC be far behind?..."

Personally, I find it amazing and shocking that SC did it before NC. SC is usually the last state in the nation to introduce any type of restrictive legislation on wildlife.

Members of the Carolina Catfish Club introduced a proposal to the NCWRC to limit the harvest of blue cats on two NC lakes. The lakes, Badin and Norman, have both produced state records, have sustainable blue cat populations, are are currently being studied by the NCWRC.

The proposal is working its way through the system as we speak, so we will let you folks know when it makes it to the public hearing level of the process.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Yes actually there are some good spots to bank fish. When you get to the ramp if you're facing the water there are some trails off to the right that give you some good access to a nice log jam across the river and it's right in a 180 bend in the river. Looks like a very nice place to fish. Also if you're up for a decent walk there are some other spots if you just keep walking. Hope this helps some.

8. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    lets hope NC isn't far behind!!!!