Arkabutla Fishing Advisory

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by bcheney, May 18, 2009.

1. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    They are in the spillway, they are big and they are biting!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Thanks for the report Bruce. I fish the banks of the MS River near Memphis but I do fish Arkabutla every now and then. In fact a couple of weekends ago I was fishing at the sardis Lower Lake and caught one about the size of the one your holding. So Sardis is worth a look as well. Thanks again for the report.

Attached Files:

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Bruce what technique (rig, bait etc.) were you using at the spillway? were you in the real swift water?

4. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I have been lurking since last year and I have read all about your bank fishing adventures. I just wanted share my luck. Keep posting and keep me motivated!

I used a double hook rig on a 4 ounce bank sinker. I fished the top of the spillway with about a 500 CFS discharge. There is a hole right before the rifles that they seem to be holding in. Each of the fish i caught that day was caught less than a minute after I threw the bait in. I was using fresh shad filets for bait. There were a ton more little fish in that hole that were constantly nibbling but I had a go big or go home mentality that day.

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I am plagued by nibblers just about everywhere I fish on the bank unless I use Big live bait. But even big live bait produces gar at arkabutla.

6. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i always like the spillways

7. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I had started fishing with a live bluegill (Bream) when I first got there. I had been seeing people taking flatheads floating minnows on bobbers when the water was low. My bait had twisted itself onto the main line and it looked like a bimini twist 6 inches long. I was getting a couple of nibbles but I changed to cut bait and for an hour or so the bite exploded on me.

Here is a link to the actual rig that I use

http://hatterasoutfitters.com/pupdrumrig.htm

I use this with a lighter line tied to the sinker for less snags. I always seem to get a hit on the top bait though. If you have any suggestions on why that is and how to repeat it with just one bait, I'm all ears.

8. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'm not familar with that exact rig but I typically have good results with a 2 hook rig too.
    The rig I prefer in heavy current to prevent twisting is a variation of Phil King's Big River finesse rig.

Like this:
    Rigging:
    1. Tie a three-way swivel to the main line using a polymar knot. Use 65- to 100-pound braided line on your reel for increased sensitivity.
    2. Tie an 8-inch dropper line of 20-pound mono between a bank sinker and one of the free eyes on the three-way. (sometimes I'll add a square knot right in the center for an easy "break off" when hung.
    3. Tie a 12-inch leader of 60-pound mono (preferably flurocarbon) between the remaining three-way swivel eye and the bead chain swivel.
    4. Snell knot the two hooks (I like Gamakatsu Octopus, Matzuo Sickles and sometimes Circles depending on the bite), tie them one above the other and very close together on a 2-foot leader of 60lb mono, then tie the other end of this leader to the free eye of the bead chain swivel.

The bead chain swivels are great. they let your bait spin round and round naturally in the current without twisting. I've also heard a theory that these swivels produce bubble as the bait spins which is thought to be an added temptation to fish.

9. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I am definitely gonna have to try those bead swivels out. That sounds like just the ticket for live baiting in the spillway. I will be going out again this weekend and trying it again.

BTW... I just got a Penn 209 reel that I have been trying to learn how to cast. It was driving me crazy and I left it home and took my ugly stick spinning combo instead. When I was reeling that pig in I could hear the gears grinding and was instantly wishing I had brought the winch (Penn). I got a quick lesson on why we spend money on study gear catfishing!

Bruce

10. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Thanks for the report.ALOT

I'm goin there tomorrow! In the mornin'!

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Wow I'm surprised you were able to get that fish in with that strong current on a Ugly/shakespeare combo. I had one of those combos and used it all last year for catching bait. Had to eventually put the reel on the shelf because it wore out. Seems like the handle got stripped out if I recall correctly. Anyway I got my monies worth out of it and still use the rod for casting jigs and catching bait.

12. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I've been using that rig here below Pickwick dam for 25+ years. It's hard to beat. I tie a barrel swivel in the middle of the leader between the 2 hook rig and the 3 way swivel. The barrel swivel allows the bait to twist around and not twist the leader up. My rig from the top 3 way to the sinker at times may be 6ft long.
    Top is a 3 way swivel then drop down 20" then tie on the next 3 way. Then off the bottom one a 12" drop for a bank sinker. Then pair of snelled 2 hook rigs off the 3 way swivels.
    I catch more fish off this rig then any other way. But I'm using this rig for controlled drift fishing. It may be 40 yards or more behind the boat with good current. But the fish kill your bait when they hit.
    Pete

13. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I tried using that cheap reel the other day and the handle stripped out on me too. I love the rod, its just the reel that is so terrible. I got another penn reel in the mail and I'll let you know how that goes.

Do either of you have a picture of the rigs you are talking about? I've been trying to visualize but am failing to. BTW I've been giving Pickwick a long hard thought and i think i will be heading there shortly too.

14. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Sure thing Bruce I needed to tie some up anyway after last weeks hang-up fest :smile2:

Attached Files:

• Rig.jpg
      Rig.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  15. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    I think that will do nicely on the spillway. Do you have a suggestion for hooks? I've heard negative things about using circle hooks up on top and I've had mixed results. Lately Ive been using regular J-hooks in the fast current and been doing fine.

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've heard the same thing about circles on top of the spillway.

I recommend Matzuo Octopus Sickles...They are one deadly hook.

Attached Files:

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Can't go wrong with the Matzuo Octopus Sickles theres a great hooks. Sharp and works great. All our fish this week have been hooked just like a circle hook. In the corner of the mouth. Hookup rate is out of this world.
    We have them from 1/0 up to 11/0.
    .http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/hooks.htm
    Pete

18. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Me and a buddy Catfished the old river channel at the back of the lower lake this past weekend and would be hard pressed to of done any worse. We pulled an "all nighter", used every bait imagineable almost, and managed to come up with 1 Flathead that went all of 6 inches long. :embarassed:

19. bcheney

bcheney New Member

State:
    mississippi
    They have got to getting close to spawning. I've noticed that the bit has really dropped off lately. I've had no luck lately either.