Ark River @ Kaw

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Midwest Drifter, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Any good reports below the dam. Sure would like to get down their to try it out.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I have been wonderin the same thing.Been fishin there since i was six years old.Havent had a chance to make it down since summer.I might try and go this weekend and get a OK fishing liscense.The earlier the better.

3. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Do you guys remember the good ol' days before they installed the generators at Kaw? No doubt in my mind that was the best fishery in OKlahoma. My sons and I would wade out waist deep below the rock shelf, before it was sliced in two, and just catch sandies, catfish, crappie and a few walleye until we were just flat worn out. We quit because we were tired....not because the fish quit.

At that time, the natural river flow was released through the chutes at the base of the dam. Since the generators were installed, it's never been even close to a good a fishery as it was.

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Do you remember what year it was when they did that? I may be too young but I remember my Dad talking about it. He fished there more than anything and was very well known down there. He passed away in 06 and we spread his ashes at the boat ramp.Kaw is way more than a place to fish to me, its where I grew up, spent the most time with my Dad and where I go to be with him since hes gone.My first time up to the cable I was seven years old and they were runnin water out of the top gates. This was when the channel was on the east side.The motor wasnt runnin so my dad walked the boat all the way up the channel and across the cable by hand.Just a glimpse in how hardcore he was. Some of yall might have known him. His name was Clayton, drove a red and gray F150 and was always on the cable.lol.By the way does anyone know if they have put the cable back up yet?

5. mississippi man

mississippi man New Member

State:
    Godfrey, Illino
    I did not know there was a time when generators weren't there, or a time when the rock ledge wasn't split. I do have a lot of very great memories from there. My grandpa John Kelly, died last year. He is probably who is primarily the reason I have such great love for the water and every thing in it. He loved to take me down there. I wish he was here to ask about it. He would probably agree that the fishing used to be better down there. He fished down there and he liked to fish lake ponca a lot. It seems like everyone whether or not the fishing is really good leaves with a lifetime of memories from there.

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    wow that place must be magical. i have a similar story. but not near as heartfelt as those.. great stories of great people... i dont know what kind of fish were there before the generators, but i have caught some real good fish there after. as a matter of fact my third biggest flathead now/biggest fish for years was caught there on the day of my grandmas funeral in wichita. we fished it on the way back in her memory cause she loved fishing and the outdoors as much as us.. you cant just sit still on a day like that..
    i talked to a guy below the dam that was saying hed been fishing it since before it was dammed period.. said there were alot of pollution problems comin from wichita upstream. wasnt until after wichita started respecting their river did it clean up.. i wish alot more cities would follow suite. not sure what that did for the fishing, but id like to think it was legendary in the days.
    and again, great stories of great people..

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Here is a picture of my Dad tied up to the cable, taken from an airplane.
    You can see the generator on the left.
    The second is a warning sign at the boat ramp.
    The third is a picture of the dam runnin water.

Thought someone might like to see some pictures if they have never been.

Attached Files:

8. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I am not sure of the exact year the generators were finished, but I do remember a phenomenal trip in '88. My youngest son was leaving to go to the Air Force, and wanted one last trip to Kaw. We caught so many fish that it must have lowered the water level when we took the stringers out. Mainly sandies, but quite a few cats, crappie, and a few walleye. They were working on the turbine installation at that time.

The trip stands out in my mind because of a funny incident with my son. He hooked and landed a blue of about 8 lbs on a Little George, and tried to stuff it into a fishing basket. All this taking place in waist-deep water. Just as he shoved the head into the basket, the old blue decided he had enough of that crap and straightened out his fins and backed out. My son dropped the fish, then went diving for him while the fish was tuckered out. Needless to say, the fish recovered and swam away. My son sez "Whoa! Where's my rod?" So he went diving again and finally came up with it. It loses a lot in the retelling, but the guys on the bank and myself were just rolling with laughter. As they say, you just had to be there......

But, I digress. Shortly after that, I transferred to New Mexico, and didn't fish there again until about '97. It is my understanding that the turbines came on line in the early 90's, and they cut the rock shelf to facilitate the water flow. It's never been the same since.......I've caught a lot of fish below the dam, but never like it once was. My theory is that prior to the turbines, there was a constant release of water. They released what came into the lake, so the water was always oxygenated, and the fish were always there and active. Generation schedules screw with the fishies heads.