Ark River Downtown Wichita ?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Feb 8, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Wondering if anyone fishes here? Can you get bank access downt there late at night, or will the cops run you off? Thinking about checking it out down there this spring. Ive attached a pic of the place Im talking about.

Attached Files:

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Yes you can fish down there at night. The only thing is it is the homeless campsite. I have caught some real good fish on te east and west ends of danm where the little ark and the big ark meet. It is pretty rocky right there. But after all the construction they have right there that may have changed. Never tried cut bait thier but nightcrawlers,liver,shrimpand dead minnows have worked for me. But I tried to just fish in the daytime that way Ididn't have any unwanted company come down and bother me.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    by the pics ive seen it looks like a real nice area, its surprising that the cops will let the homeless camp out there.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hey Chris , just out of curiousity, are you related to Tom Phillips from KCK?

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah I think that fishing is not allowed there anymore since they finished the "keeper".When I was a kid my dad and I fished there all the time. There was a big hole in the middle of the first dam that I fell into and never hit bottom, I was little but Ill never forget it. I wish they hadnt redone that area. It does look nice in all but there are way too many lights,noises,cameras,and commotion for me to wet a line. Plus its north of lincoln st and doesnt have the population of bigger fish.They are in there,but not near as many.

Attached Files:

6. IAB1965

IAB1965 New Member

State:
    Columbia, SC
    I hope you are fishing for fun and not for your dinner. Check out DNR on the fish that comes out of this river. I was raised there in Wichita and the fish has not always been eatable. Please take the time to research this information.
    YOUR Health comes FIRST!!!!:angry:

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THAT WOULD BE INTERESTING !!!:eek:oooh:

8. IAB1965

IAB1965 New Member

State:
    Columbia, SC
  9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    No keith. Most of my family is in Derby and Winfield.

10. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I agree with Arkrivercatman. Your better off fishing south of Lincoln. The ? is. Why do you want to fish the Arkansewer when the Kaw is in your back yard?????????????????????????

Cody

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    The homeless funnel in after dark and live up under the bridges.

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Youre right about the homeless.Especially Harry St just S of Lincoln.I usually try to fish as far south of the city as possible.The only people I run into are kids out there drinking which is almost as bad because they are so loud.I try to go far away, which sometimes means somen walkin. Well worth it not to be bothered by weirdos.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Cody , Ive never been down to fish the Ark or the Walnut , Ive been fishing the Kaw for a few years now, and Ill continue to fish it as much as possible, but I like to try new places to fish as well. That , and the Tunnel Mill Dam has a lot of old history about it, and I would like to see it. Road Trip. I havent been to Wichita in over 15 yrs. and Ive never been to Winfield. :big_smile:

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    No , Shawn , Im not fishing for food, Im fishing for fun. If I want to fish for food Ill take some channels out of Olathe or Gardner Lake. I just want to fish two rivers down there , that Ive never fished before. :smile2:

15. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Come late April the danm in Winfield gets pretty congested with people. But your best bet is to wait till after the first spring flood, that brings the big flats up to spawn. Same thing every year. When it floods it makes a big hole about 60yds down stream from the face of the danm, just get a handfull of hooks and weights, a couple dozen night crawlers and perch. Then wade out and get just to top of the hole and be sure footed when you set the hook cause it can catch you off gaurd and take you for a ride down river.

(had a gar get hold of my shoe lace that came undone)

Good luck down there I just might see you there.My father lives their:big_smile:.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Yeah Chris , Ive been talking with Kyle about setting something up. Hopefully we can time it just right and maybe we can all meet up down there. Id love to pull a big flathead out of there. It would make the trip worth while. Probably bring a buddy with me to. (Shelbygt1979)

17. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    let me know when your going i'll meet you there too i'm in derby,i pulled a little 25#er out year befor last.i was talking to a guy that said somthing about going in threw the grave yard, have you been on that side?

18. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    In my opinion parking in the cemetery is pointless,maybe even illegal. You have to walk down steep banks and it doent really put you anywhere that you cant fish from the other bank. When the river is low enough people just wade across it to get to the otherside.Most are not catfisherman.Not really worth climbing the hill with all you stuff.

19. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I agree with you arkrivercatman that hill is a pain. I'v walked up and down it a bunch. Now they fine you for trespassing on privite property. The best thing to do is park over by the danm take what you need and lock your doors.