Arizona record flathead catfish set in 2003

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by AZflats, Jul 21, 2006.

1. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I pulled this record off the AZGF website today...
    The largest flathead cat pulled from AZ waters.

71 lb. 10.24 oz., 53 in., San Carlos Lake
    Adrian Manzanedo, Florence 01/05/03

* I don't see too many posts for San Carlos..
    * Who fishes it and are they catching anything?:001:
    Thanks!

2. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Haven't fished San Carlos this year. Fished it early last year for crappie and saw lots of dead flatheads, some really big, floating near banks. Used to catch some really nice channels there, but have never fished for flatheads. I think the previous record was 65 lbs, also out of San Carlos a number of years ago. Gotta go up and try it some time now that I'm really into flathead fishing. Lots a luck to all.

3. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Last I heard was the lake was drying up. Such a shame as this used to be the hot spot for big flatties. There have been a few post about San Carlos, but not many.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    got a dumb ?. how come the CA record, think its 74 lb, taken on the colorado river would also not be the AZ record

5. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    On azgfd they seperate the records for the colorado and AZ , but they are both listed

6. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That's true. AZG&F shows inland waters and Colorado River
    records. Colorado River record is 74 lbs.

7. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    So the question that I have about the Colorado River is this. Say I go fishing on the Colorado and I catch...say a 76lber. I go through the steps to get everything certified. I wonder whether the AZ Game and Fish would knock the San Carlos flathead off the list, just because I was an Arizona resident or if they would leave it there and list the 76lber under the Colorado River section.

What do you guys think? I know the likelihood of me getting a fish that big would be slim to none at best, but I think that the AZ Game and Fish should list it under the main section and not separate it by the body of water.

Just my thought

8. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    If you caught it in the colorado , they will list it in colorado record section

9. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Shoerpatrol is correct. There are two seperate records, the state inland waters and the Colorado River.

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    I guess I just wonder whether they would really stick to that rule if someone from Arizona caught it.

11. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I dont see why they wouldnt?

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    In California the state record stands at 74 eventhough it was caught from the colorado river. They do not make that distinction. There are some inland waters here that feeds off of the river and even some waters around the salton sea areas that holds flatheads, but Ca does not make a distinction about that. I guess Az wanted to make a distinction since the Colorado covers both Az and Ca.

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    The record is for the water and the state that it was caught from, not where the fisherman is from. Where does everyone think the new record will be caught from? Personally, if I were a betting man, I would say on the lower Colorado River, between Imperial Dam and Nogales Dam near Yuma. I moved here in the early 80's, and there was a report in the local paper about the AZGFD doing a population check in the river just below Interstate 8 crossover. The paper said they netted 2 fish, one was 98 and the other was 102 I believe. Both fish were tagged and released. I have never heard of anyone even claiming to have landed or seen those fish since. I swear this is not a fisherman's fish story either. Kinda makes ya think.

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I would not be surprised if the lower Colorado produced another record flat. There is definitely bigger flats in it than the 74 pounder. I talked to guys at a local bait shop in blythe that claimed they have hooked up on a 80 pound class flat that broke them off. I am sure that there are many more in that range in the river as well as bigger. But then again, Az would put that in a different category since its the colorado river if it was even caught on the Arizona side of the river.