Arguing with a two year old

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Rastus, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Relax, the one I'm arguing with is a 7 month old pup, but is going through her terrible two's, I'd swear. At times I feel like I'm arguing with a terrible two's comflicted soul. This even'n I took her outside to play ball, off lesh. She fetichs quite niclely, if I do say so myself, and I normally get her attention in the house by just a snap of the fingers, this be wether she is in trouble or just to get her attention.
    So, like I was saying, took her outside to play ball, off lesh and the first couple throws she brings ball back without out a hitch, just as a baseball player comes running to home plate. As in quickest way back, no lolling gaging, sniffing the bushes, looking at the tree rats etc. Which I would expect a 7 month old pup would rather do than bring a ball back to the guy who just keeps throwing the thing off somewhere. Anyway, on the third of forth throw, no I don't remember which, not that it would matter anyhow, she goes and picks the ball up, just as quick and intent as any decent short stop would that has played for the Royals or even the white soxs if that suits your fancy any better.
    Well, she runs out around, and past me as if saying gota go, gota go, gota go, which she ends up doing 50 yrds. past me. Fine, fine, I say to myself, she must not want to dirty up her yard, she'd rather it be yours. So I snap my fingers, which of course she can't hear, then clap my hands together once, twice, then three times, and by now the neighbor kids probably think I'm applauding her, but in reality I'm just wanting her to come back and not cross the very busy street, which she is ingnorant about. I use "ingnorant" not as a put-down, belittleing, or otherwise bad assessment of her, but as "not educated" about what a street is. Truth is, I'm the ingnorant one when it comes to dogs, as this is my first endevor with such.
    Finally she hears my applauding, comes back on a mad dash, with out the ball and I tell her, "get your ball", which she happly goes back to where she droped it, right beside the fresh pile and begins to sniff, then lick, then crunch that pile away, like she hasn't been feed for three days. This of course not being the case, as I have the feed bill to prove such, and a complaining banker stating that if I want to get a loan to pay for that high dollar truck complete with leather heated seats, I need more endevors that make money, not eat it up. So, I'm standing there like a fool only can, not wanting to yell at her and look like a babbling idiot, that I may possible be but don't quite have the patience to go into and is of no never mind anyways right now.
    I clap once, twice, then three times, by now she even percieves this as applause and ducks aroung the corner of another building and starts playing with those neighbors kids toys. Now she is not a very polite play partner, as she only enjoys destroying toys, not having the capicity of an imagnition to actually play with them. I, being afraid of the street for her, take the leash and go resue her from the torrements of abuse, kids sometimes display towards animals smaller than them, possibly causing her to run across the street.
    When I get to where she is within finger snap hearing distance, I snap my fingers and she sees its o.k. to go a little father, an sniff, an lick, an investagate anything percived as new and exciting, similar to a kid in wal-mart barefooted and wound up on the latest greatest treat in the colorerfull comic riden box or what ever parents give kids before the weekly trip to purchase the family staples. I can only cermise this is done to ward off any, "I'm tired, my legs hurt, are we doooone yeeeet, I wanna go home, I want that (accumpaniend with the diffinative finger point, that to them takes the guess work out of the bribery object or hence they become like mad scientist subjects escaped from the local nursey, and you all the worse for the wear).
    So, my question to you, if this babbling has not become lost on you is more of a poll: Will she ever subcome to this dog ingnorat idoit? Allthough a simple yes or no might no suciffice. For as you can see this is quite the overwhelming topic, destroying any real progress towards a solution between me ears, if I do say so myself.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Brent,

Patience and teaching the dog, the word NO, go a long way. The first 2 years are spent with a lot of chewing, from cutting teeth. During that 2 years is a training and learning experience on both your parts.

Don't give up, on him or her, just read up on the topic on the internet. Use what works for you and your dog. When I got my Pomeranians many years ago, I bought a book about them. It suggested to use a word that isn't used every day to train them to go to the bathroom with..............and it worked............surprisingly.

From what I've read, dogs that eat their own waste either lack something in their bodies or were kennel kept to the point that they thought it was food. There are remedies for that at the pet store, too.

Look up the breed of your dog on the net, read, learn and use what works for you and the dog. Postbeetle is a retired vet, hopefully he will give you much better advice than me.

Just remember it will be worth it in the end, as animals are the only true mammal that can give you unconditional love. A human just can't do it. You won't regret it.

Take care and best of luck!
    Post a picture of the dog, so we can see it.

Cheryl

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    as far as a young ,or older dog for that matter running free ( as in "without" a leash ). i would recommend a training collar.
    it may sound cruel , but its better than her/him getting hit by a car , or dining on their or others dogs droppings .
    lab owners use them in training and they aren't abused by it .
    their is a chemical you can put in the pups food to discourage the behavior it displayed when it revisited its waste.
    as far as it tearing up toys GOOD LUCK :confused2: our two dogs can devour a large rawhide in a matter of hours and any toy left in their vicinity is fair game they pop kick balls and can ruin a pair of plier handles or a screw driver
    without batting an eye:roll_eyes:
    good luck ,
    post a pic or two of her.

4. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    thought u might want to see a pic. of pup

Attached Files:

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Awwwwwwww, what a cutie! Thanks for sharing the pic, now what is him/her name?

Hope things are going better for y'all.

Take care.
    Cheryl

6. Rastus

Rastus Active Member

State:
    North Central, Missouri
    Her name is Sadie, and she is kennell kept about 9hrs. a day while I'm at work, during lunch I'll come home and let her outside. The kennell is big enough for a lab so I don't feel bad about leaving her in it. I haven't looked up dog training on the net yet but am interested in it being as I have the time for it and it would prob. be good for both of us. I'm going to try and make it to dollar general this weekend and see if I can find some rugs on sale to temp. replace the ones in the house she hasn't chewed holes in yet lol it probably doesn't help matters when I first put an old rug in her kennell for her to lay on. She can tear the stuffing out of a toy is under a week, so we just keep getting a new one every week at wal-mart, although this last one is made out of some type of canvas material and is seeming to hold up to those little razor teeth quite well.