Areas to target for channel cats in a 80 acre lake.

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BajaCoop, Nov 19, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    If the weather holds up I plan to make a trip to try and catch some channels tomorrow. I have never catfished in this lake before and was wondering what type of areas would have the best chance of holding fish.

The lake has an old stream bed that runs through the lake, a deep bank with submerged trees, and shallow weedy areas. What areas do you think would hold fish this time of year.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hey, I don't know the lake but I have relatives in Bunker, and thought I'd drop a line. What is the water temp there? My first shot would be right around the dropoff from flat to old river channel, especially if the channel doubles over on itself, or if there is good cover nearby. If the water is near the 50 degree mark I would also try deep water, which of course is relative.

3. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have no idea what the water temp is but since it has been in the 60-70's for the past week it can't be to cold.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Late in the year like this I'm not sure, but I always try the most shallow part at sunrise and sunset. I have caught more channels in 2 feet of water than deep. I think the myth is that catfish lay on the bottom in the mud. Hope this helps.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i have been finding the channels in around 10ft of water. I use soured maise or wheat to get the feeding in an area and then did good las weekend. look for standing timber in that dept of water, the water turkeys or other fowl will have it prechummed

6. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Id' go to the deep wood cover and dropin on them there...

good luck.