Area lakes

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by uapipefitter, Feb 20, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    have any you guys fished sessions or morrison there in ionia county.see that the dnr have planted alot of channels in these two lakes.i've bass fished morrison ,did really well but never catted it.thanks guys trent

2. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I have never fished either one but I have a friend who swears that Sessions is THE catfish lake. However, I take his offerings with a grain of salt. It still may be a good lake though.

3. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    sessions had a channel cat registered in the master angler awards for i believe last year or year before and i've heard the same thing about good cattin.thanks steve,trent

4. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Trent,

Have you fished Thornapple at all? I figured being over in P'ville, you might zip over there once in awhile. I've got a friend in Vermonville and he says he's sure it'd be good for catfish. He catches the occasional one while bass fishing over there. Anyway, just lookin' for another good fishery. Keep us posted if you end up trying Sessions. Seems like an interesting lake. Good stockings of catfish and walleye.

5. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Hey Gabe, Did you mean Verminville or Vermontville? The first sounds like your home town, but I think you were referring to VermonTville.

6. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I've fished the Thornapple in nashville for bass and did pretty well. I posted the same question on here about three weeks ago and the family told me access is pretty hard to gain. Tony says that just down stream of the thornapple on the grand is good cat'n. I'll keep ya posted on the Sessions trip. Mom and Dad always camp there and say they have a really nice campground. I'll try to incorperate (or sell) the trip to the wife with going camping and drag the boat along and maybe if there is time,or we don't have anything to do we could going fishing and play it off as if I had no idea. LOL

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey guys,
    It's time to find out what Sessions Lake has to offer. It is a pretty darn big lake, so I'm worried that unless we do some research first, we could waste a lot of time finding where the fish are.
    Please, everybody ask around the friends & bait shops in your area (if you're anywhere near Ionia/Lansing/Lowell/Grand Rapids) and see what you can come up with. I'll do the same.
    This could be a nice place to catch some fish while we're waiting for the flathead action to heat up.
    Thanks,
    Tony

8. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Tony, are you sure a self-respecting flatheader like yourself wants to stoop to channel cat levels? Keep talking like that and you may fall off the pedestal that I have you on.:big_smile:

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey,
    I just made a contact with a guy who has spent a lot of time on Sessions Lake. I can't type it all here, but be there on the 28th at 2:00 and we'll try to put it to use.
    Bring gear for channels up to 30", and good fishing for bluegills & crappies.
    Don't plan on drifting rigs along the bottom, he says the bottom is covered with brush all over the lake.
    Important point: If it rains much within the last three days before we fish, he says don't bother because the lake silts up bad, and the fish don't bite until it clears. We may need to set an alternate location, like the Grand at Ionia, in case that happens.

10. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    That explanes why after two days rain and fishing while it was pouring at Sessions all I caught was trees.LOL hold on, my lil'catfisher wants to leave her mark.:0a30: :0a20: :0010: :cat: :0a33: :0a22: :0a35: :0a14: :beauty:

11. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    There is another lake in Ionia County that boasts a few master angler awards for channels. It is Long Lake, near Belding. I actually grew up on this lake, during the summers. My folks had a cottage there for 30 years. I personally fished the lake for 28 of them. I believe the DNR began stocking cats in there in the early 90's. My folks sold their place in '91 so i never new about the planting until just last year. The lake also holds good numbers of Largemouth (up to 6lbs) specks, pearch, BIG gills, and northerns. And just for Vic's pleasure, it contains some of the biggest Dogfish i have ever seen. LOL Just another option if sessions doesn't work out.

12. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    I see in the sportsman map book that Morrison Lk.Has quit a lot of catfish plantings in it and a 35 foot hole in front of the dam.Lots and lots of panfish. I have fished this lake alot over the years and is a great lake for eveything.Big specks and lots of eater bluegills. Savannah wants to say hi....:0a23: :0a34: :002: :worship: :0a32: :001: :0a1: :009: :0a18: :008:

13. cduguid

cduguid New Member

State:
    ionia, michigan
    im new to this forum, so hey guys! sessions is a good lake, alot of snags but worth it. woodard lake just outside of ionia isnt bad either but theres alot of weeds

14. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Welcome, neighbor. I live in GR but I spend a lot of time in Clarksville, and about a 2 or 3 times a week tripper to Sessions in the summer, in May and June especially when the weather is nice, the panfish are spawning, and the catfishing for the eater sized channels is fantastic. Try Secret 7 on a dip worm in that lake, you'll have a blast. I don't have a boat, just a shore fisherman, and Sessions has a lot to offer me in that regard.

Stick around, the Michigan section will perk up next spring and summer. Most Michigan catfisher-people are not thinking about the catfish right now; I just read about them and dream of next summer.

Morrison Lk. is in the back yard of Clarksville and I've fished it some as I was growing up here, mostly in the winters though through the ice. It's a good lake, but not much opportunity for the shore angler because it's so populated with houses around much of it.

15. cduguid

cduguid New Member

State:
    ionia, michigan
    thanks, wasnt sure i would hear from anyone or not. i just bought secret 7 but have only used it once, caught a turtle out of the river. i usually bank fish on the grand, where we go is way back in the woods and its very relaxing. i just bought a boat this year but it was junk had to fix everything so i didnt get to use it. i just started catfishing this year and i love it so im hoping i can learn alot from you guys on here

16. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    It pays to be prepared at Sessions. My largest catch on dip bait is 25", which is a lot of fun on the medium tackle I use (medium or medium/heavy rods with 12 lb or 20 lb mono). Mostly my catches are between 13" - 22", perfect for a fish fry. I don't need to worry about pollution there. My largest catfish ever from the lake was 31", caught by accident on a bass worm before I knew anything about catching catfish, fishing with light line on a cheap spincast reel. That was a dozen or so years ago. I found the BOC and have learned all I know from this site and experience, none of my relatives fished for them or passed the knowledge of catfishing on to me. What a great place Sessions is--stocked heavily by the DNR, hiking trails to premo shore spots all around the lake, almost never anyone there fishing from shore, and outhouses. I can't wait for next year.

17. cduguid

cduguid New Member

State:
    ionia, michigan
    its been a few years since ive been there but im for sure going to have to go now! everyone tells me its great fishing so come spring i'll have to get out there. when i went there a a awhile back (maybe 15 yrs old) there were always people on the pier so id fish the cove behind it and catch ziltch! from what i hear its almost a empty out there except a couple campers, hikers/horse, and fisherman. we'll have to meet up out there sometime this summer, you can show me the hot spots!