Are your rivets leaking on your Alum Jon Boat?? Try this quick repair!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Catfishrob, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    [​IMG]

Its CABELA's Aluminum Boat patch. Works with the regular torch not like those pesky expensive aluminum rods they sell at boat shows that you need a special high heat torch.

Just clean the area with a metal brush and alcohol. Heat and touch the rod to the heated spot. You can fix em at the lake!!!! Ready to fish as soon as it cools. Beats JB Weld, sealants .. When you can't get it welded......:wink:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's Rob. That will sure beat that Big Ol wad of Bugga Gum I Been Using.:wink: J.D.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Almost Forgot Rob. Welcome Aboard the BOC,Glad to have You on board,and Looking foreword to reading Your Posts. J.D.:0a25::0a25::0a25::0a23::0a22::0a20::0a18::0a17:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks fer the tip!

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rob thanks for an excellent tip. We never know when we will need it.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    how does it stay on ?

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thanks!! for the idea

8. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    It grips the bare clean oil free metal when it cools down. Must be a polymer epoxy. I dripped some on my hand and it burned like *%$*&^!!!!

It sure stayed on my skin!!!

Whats great is if you have a torch a piece of sandpaper or wire brush and some alcohol in your "handy repair Kit Box in your truck" you can pull your boat out and fix the leaky rivets or small crack and be fishing 10 minutes later!!!!:roll_eyes:

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I've seen that stuff in cabelas and have been meaning to order some to try but didn't know how well it would work. Just thot it would be like jb weld or epoxy or similar. I know I will definately order some now cause I got an older boat:sad2::eek:oooh: and we all know what those older boats do. They leak.

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That's a good tip, Ive had problems with that in the past.

11. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the tip. My nephew's jon boat leaks like a sieve because of a few cracks and a lot of leaking rivets (if not all of em). Gonna pass it on to him.

12. BRIANL

BRIANL New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    ive got a leaky boat and ive been debating wether to weld all my rivets or just use that aluminum boat repair stuff, what do you guys think?

13. Catfishrob

Catfishrob New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Depends how old the boat is. How big is it?? How many rivits??? Whats the both worth??? Welding is expensive and based on the time needed to weld.

If its an older boat. This stuff from Cabelas works in a few minutes and you are ready to fish.

Just flip boat over clean the rivit with alcohol, heat with regular propane torch and touch stick to rivit. It melts and flows around it. Hardens in a few seconds. Do it at the lake as you find and test for leaks. Or fill boat with ft of water and go under and circle leaks with a waterproof marker.

If you do it at the lake you may get some lookers wanting to fix a few rivits on their boats. Fix em right there and make some gas money.....

By the time you flip boat over you're ready to fish!!!

14. speedracer

speedracer New Member

State:
    Houston,TX
    I never had a alum boat but a friend said if you had seaping leaks,older boats get hair size holes on the bottom that you really can't see.Paint the boat with airplane paint.Later

15. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I'd just keep an empty 44 oz plastic drink cup handy. Lol.

16. jerry5710

jerry5710 New Member

State:
    alabama
    paint it with cool seal like you paint house trailer tops with

17. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    1 quick question will it work upside down or will it drip off until it cools

18. ouachita

ouachita New Member

State:
    Texas
    The rivet should really be tightened before putting on a patch. It may stop the leaking for the time being but will not make the rivet do what it is supposed to do which is hold the boat together. Just covering up loose rivets could still lead to cracked ribs or making the patch fail.

19. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I bought some of that epoxy patch and only used 1 stick and repaired over 100 rivets. I AM GONNA BUY SOME EPOXY PAINT FROM FASCOEPOXIES.COM to paint my jon and my bass boat, just to be even better off. for a quik and inexpensive way to repair leaks in a jon boat u cant beat those sticks, I promise.

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like a good deal to me