Are your fish getting bigger or smaller?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SGTREDNECK, Aug 24, 2009.

1. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    So are our fisheries getting worse, getting better or staying the same? If big cats are still being caught all over the country something has to be right? Do you think if commercial fishing was stopped our fisheries would get better or do you think they would actually over populate and get worse. Could it be like too many fish in a farm pond, the fish won't reach maximum size?

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    good point there redneck, something to think about,bet your get answers from both sides on this

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i for one have seen a big decline in my fishing for flatheads.4 or 5 years ago arkansas game and fish,dumbest commishion in united states,decided that noodlin ought to be legal so they passed it into law.not only can you catch them by hand but you can use a stick with a big hook tied on the end of it so you can reach as far back as the fish can go.ive seen my fishing go from 6 to 10 fish a day with some in the teens to 2 or 3 in the 1 to 2 lb.range so yes noodlin is killing my river.but on the bright side bull head fishing is getting better all the time so for thos of us that love catching them its great.not

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Noone else wants to comment on this topic?

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Andrew I think where your posting is kinda hidden..I miss em all the time cause I never really scroll all the way down..You may want to post your threads where there more visible..

6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Sarge Good Question.Well with me and my fishing trips it gos like this .If I'm fishing alone and no one around the cats are on the Large size some times real Brutes,and when I'm fishing with a partner the fish are Considerably smaller.LOL All kidding aside the big fish have been hard to find.Maybe I need to change my tactics because what i have been doing is not working real well.I need to teach this Old Dog some New tricks, You dont happen to have any extra Gernades I might get from you would you ?? :wink: J.D.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The fish in the Schuylkill River in eastern PA are getting bigger and bigger as the years go on! There is plenty of sunfish and bass for it to eat and in the spring, they get to dine on andromonus species that come from the ocean like shad and striped bass.

There is no commercial fishing on this river. The flathead fisherman practice 100% CPR and the only ones dying are the ones killed by bass fisherman.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Fishing seems to be getting better around here.The waters cleaner than it ever was,which equals more baitfish for the cats.I like to see them stocking more gamefish,it fattens the flatties up!:wink:.We don,t have any commercial fishing(Thank God),I,m sure that helps too.:eek:oooh:

9. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If my fish get any smaller I will be fishing for roe. :smile2:

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :confused2: the fish may not be getting any bigger my my waiste line sure is :wink::smile2::embarassed:

couple weeks ago caught a 14 lb flathead and a blue around 25 lbs

been doing a few driftin trips and so far nothin over 8 lbs or so ..

11. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I haven't been fishing in iowa for long but from what I hear from the old timers and friends that's fished here for years is the overall size of fish is declining not the numbers. i've heard of 30 pound flatties and 8-15 pound channels that used to be caught regularly, I've seen 2 channels over 10 pounds this year and have caught one that went about 5 or 6, at home in oklahoma in my limb and trot line days I saw the decline of both in section of river that I fished, but you have a good point of the overstocking problem but imo I'd have to say that would solely depend on the size of the river system.

12. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I think that the commercial fishing is harming the population of a lot of lakes. Just my opinion. :wink: