Are you ready for the Opening Day?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Oct 5, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well, picked up or ordered the remaining items I needed yesterday at an OSTA meet in South East Ohio. Now all I need to do is finish rigging out my canine and some of my coon traps with their tethers. I also still need to dye and wax my traps and paint a couple more live traps.

Was just wondering if everyone is ready or dragging butt like I am?

When does everyone's seasons start? Ohio ... everything comes in November 10, except Beaver and Otter and they come in Demember 26.

2. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Our season opens on November 20th. I've got all my supplies in that I'm going to need. Still got to get some buffalo and carp cut up, but will not have a problem getting that. I've got a buddy that is a commercial fisherman, and he'll give me all I need.

Most of my traps are ready. I'll be using a bunch of the lil grizz traps this year. I've added 1 1/2 inch welded rings to the chains and an extra swivel to help speed the setting up a little. Still got to make another 100 or so 3' t-bar stakes for them and my #2 drowner setups.

All my coni's are tuned up and packed in their boxes, along with all their stabilizers. Was not going to beaver and otter trap to start the season, but I ended up getting a big order for some from a taxidermist, so I will hit them hard the first week on my river line.

Still have not finished my electric skinning machine. I've got all the parts, but just ran out of time before I headed back to Mexico last friday.

I'll be home on November the 1st. Gona put in about a week in the deer stand, and then hit the river scouting and pre-staking. Only gona have a week to trap on the opener, but I'm gona roll pretty hard.

Will hopefully have 200 sets working by the second day. Gona be some late nights in the skinning shed!!!!

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yeah i am ready but not looking forward to the market which appears to be falling apart before our very eyes

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are right about the market Tom .... I was to a Regional OSTA Meet Saturday .... and heard some buyers there talking .... their opinion was to sell early and often. So guess that is what I will try to do .... at least in the beginning of the season to see what happens.

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

from what i have read the market is very unstable just like all markets right now i am not very looking forward to it i hope it gets more stable as time moves on

6. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Never worried about market fluctuations. Have trapped since mid 70's. Have made good money some years....and have barely paid expenses other years.

One good thing I've got going is the coon meat market. I average $7 a piece on the meat. This will cover all operating expenses for the season. Whatever I get for the hides, is usually profit. (did spend a pile on new traps this year......so the profit won't start near as soon.....:sad2:)

Another big plus I've got going is the taxidermy trade. I've got an order for 50 beaver and all the otter and bobcats that I can catch. The taxidermist will pick them up at my house, so this cuts down on my skinning shed time and cuts out on delivery and shipping costs.

Also have some orders for oddball catches and quite a few skulls allready.

Even on the really down years, money can be made in the fur industry, if one will learn to diversify a little!

And even if I lose a buck or two........couldn't think of a better way of spending my money!!!!!!!!:wink:

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i think this is a little more than a market flux markets are falling all over the place things keep up people wont have money to buy what they let alone fur. i dont know it all worries me a great deal i have this fear that this could turn into a very real new age depression but this time with twice the world pop. of the last one