Are You Ready for Flathead catfishing 2009

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The groundhog saw his shadow yesterday so it meant 6 more weeks of ice fishing:sad2:. With that said it will be a another couple months before any of us will ever attempt to catch one. But it's not too early to get ready for the 2009 adventures. I started by adding another Shakespeare 7'6 MH UglyCat rod as a Christmas gift from my parents. Now each of my ABU 6500 C3s will be accompanied by these UglyCats. My nice girlfriend got me a Shimano Calcutta 400B. It will mount nicely on my 7'6 MH St. Croix Classic Cat.This will be my second Calcutta 400 which goes on my 7'6 St. Croix Musky rod. All in all i will have 6 bona-fide flathead set ups so I will make sure I take advantage of our 2 rod rule:wink::cool2:.

In the next month, I'm gonna spend a weekend day scouting out some new spots. The best time to find new spots is scouting out in the wintertime before the vegetation grows in the spring. You'll be surprised how different how the river and its surroundings look different when there is no leaves and bushes to cover things.

Other things I need is a new aerator, really learn how to throw a castnet, and wait for April to roll around.

PS Wintertime SUCKS:eek:oooh:.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I forgot, my new reel and his older brother.

Attached Files:

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm prepared already for the spring Flatheads. All my rods have new line and I have plenty of sinkers, swivels, hooks, and accessories. I hooked into a good catfish ....2 weeks ago before all this ice hit the area. The fish actually fought like a Big Flathead. I was using a big wad of skipjack guts with a piece of meat stuck on behind them to help hold them on. I was fishing an area long known to produce big cats. At the foot of a bluff in 30-40 feet of water. I casted out and the current drifted my bait into the big rocks at the foot of the bluff. ABout 5 minutes later....I noticed the rod going down slowly and steadily. I leaned out with the rod and set the hook. The fish stripped line off of my spinning reel and I fought it for a minute or two. All of a sudden, the fish must have went under a rock or a ledge and I couldn't budge him. I laid the rod back into the bank rod holder and gave some slack. The fish never moved again! For over an hour! I fooled with it some more and ....nothing. I ended up having to break off. I couldn't do anything else.
    I have to cut up a big tree that fell across my fishing Van, but it doesn't appear to have done any damage....thank goodness! I think this weekend the weather is supposed to warm back up and I think I will go back to this spot and try it again. I have caught some good Blues here in the spring, but only small flatheads, never a big one. I think this fish was a big flathead and I must have put the bait right in his face or it was a Big blue, but it didnt fight like a blue or channel. It fought like a Big flathead. So yes I am pumped up and ready for springtime Flatheads, but there just might be one out there right now ready to eat an easy meal....Maybe I can find this one again soon. The earliest I have ever caught a Flathead was towards the end of March. April and May being my favorite months. It would be awesome to catch a good one during Jan or Feb......but I am soooooo ready for April and May. Fishing for Flatheads in Western Kentucky....I just Love it!!!!:wink:

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`m ready , I have a vacation the end of March and will be on the Mon. We`ll probably get mostly channels but it never hurts to try for those flatheads.

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I havn't turned my thoughts towards Flatheads yet since it will about 3 months till they come out of hibernation! :wink: Still have about 6 weeks of ice fishing left, then March & April Trout fishing. Mid April I will start trying for some Channel Cats. Usually early May before I start targeting Flatheads. Now that being said I spend time between now and then preparing the Cattracker1, making sinkers, spooling new line, etc.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Im ready this is goin to be my best year yet. Im goin to get the big boy this year thats been teasin me hopefully hes still there. Havent rigged any poles up yet but I will soon.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jason,

I'll be coming home to Evansville in August. I have so long yearned for a Indiana flathead!

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Because the Steelers couldn't beat the Cardinals by 6.5 points, I have some extra money to go shopping in preparation for the upcoming flathead season.

I first purchased a fish basket. I plan of keeping my bait in one of these things during bait catching and bait using. It will save batteries from running your aerator all the time, it couldn't hurt the fish to keep them in their natural water temp and it acclimates your bait to the present river temp instead of cold bait bucket water temp:cool2:.

Also gotta a backup headlamp. Ever had one of those days when your head lamp runs out of batteries? I won't happen to me anymore this year!

And a new scale to weigh the monsters I plan to pull outta the Skuke:eek:oooh:.

Attached Files:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Also got a new aerator. I go through about 4 to 5 aerators a year. Let's see how long this one's gonna last:embarassed:.

I lastly gotta a couple lures hoping a dumb flathead will take my fish shaped hunk of plastic:wink:. Do you think they will work? A flathead on lure is an incredible accomplishment. If not, I'll just use them to catch big bass so i can use them for BAIT:crazy::wink::smile2::cool2:.

Attached Files:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    those berkley scales are nice, i got one end of last yr. after my rapala scale took a crap
    how big are those lures?

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    have you ever seen the wild eye crappie or wild eye bluegill? they might be effective maybe?

12. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tan as for your fish basket you still have to watch how many you put in there. my buddy has one and if you put too many gills,rock bass,creek chubs. etc., in there they will start to die on ya. not sure as to why but they do. puts a crimp on the fishing when you think you have x amount of lively baits and you pull the basket up and you find dead baits in there. good luck in '09.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Never thought about that! I thought it would be good to have one around to also keep the :crazy:big big:crazy: baits into. 12 inch suckers, 4lb carp, and 16 inch bass get cramped waiting inside a 5 gallon bucket.

14. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    tan i own one of those fish baskets.My advise, Send it back. Its hard and spooked fish will ram the sides and injure and stress themselves.I once had a small snake get 1/2 way in ate 1 of my fall fish and couldnt get its head back out . 1/2 of my bait was dead probably stressed to death:crazy:. A good alternative is the frabill baitquarters or something similar I have some links at home Ill post later. The big bubbles airater sucks I have 2-3 of them crapped out. I like the quit bubbles much better. Frabill makes a new airater worth lookin into also

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    My gear is always ready to go. But right now I am thinking about Grouper and Snapper. That trip to the keys is getting closer:cool2:. If I get to bored the Amberjack should be getting ready to spawn and can be thick. I am ready for flats though. I ahve some blue charts on the tidal section of the Skuke and there are some sweet spots to check out. I just don't have a boat to get there.:smile2: Here are some pic's of some 60+cobia and some nice grouper a couple of my friends shot recently. I am going out with them 1 or 2 times in the first week of March. I hope the weather holds up for me.

Attached Files:

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You could really fill the freezer up quick down there.:smile2:

17. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive often thought about buying a couple of the huge trout shaped swim baits that are all the rage with the California bass fishermen these days to use as backup baits for when I run out of live bait. Im not sure how big they come in but ive seen them in the 7-8" range. I agree it would be a great accomplishment to catch a flat on a lure.

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    those baits can go upwards to 15 inches or bigger if you want to order custom ones. they are pretty expensive especially the wooden ones, the plastic swim baits aren't as bad but still pricey. have taken a swim whiz musky lure with me on occasion and thrown it a little for flats. i have had hits but no hookups. don't know if they were flats or musky or what. i read an article in a magazine last year where there is a guy who fishes with the big swim baits exclusively for flats i think down south somewhere and he does really well with them and catches alot of big ones. he doesn't use live bait at all. might have to try it out a little more this year.

19. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Joseph you are right on about the snakes getting into the baskets and them banging themselves up. not so bad when you only put a few in there. as for the snakes i've seen some pretty good size water snakes worm their way in and can't get back out again. that always adds a little excitement to the evening. the worst is when a snapping turtle comes snooping around for a free meal, they can and will mangle that basket fairly quickly depending on their size. and they don't have to be too big either. leatherback turtles can weasel their heads in the basket fairly easily and will take some chunks out of your bait.

20. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    on the boat i use a 5 gal bucket with the bubbler from my fish tank plugged into an inverter on the boat, before i would just use a couple 7 qt minnow buckets and cram 20 sunnies in each one and keep them in the river, this year i'll be testin out the 11 qt. bucket the wife got me for x-mas