Are you new to Flathead Catfishing??

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 23, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was once new to the sport of flathead catfishing, which is much different than channel catfishing. I remember when I bought my first 8 foot medium heavy ugly stik rod, my dad laughed at me. So did everybody we went fishing with. My dad had always told me that flatheads like dead smelly bait (they will on occasion eat cut bat or worms) and that these fish move up and down the river and will come all the way up to shore to eat (there is some truth to that). Before I started buying flathead videos and joining the old BOC site, we would get all excited when either of us caught a 6 pound catfish. My dads poles were 6 and a half foot medium action poles with 15 pound test. One day I went out on the boat to a spot I picked out with my super heavy gear, enormous 10/0 hook, and monster bait. I had went out without my dad but with my fiance. She had a blast catching 2-3 pound channel cats while my massive pole just sat there. This was only about the third time I had gone out set up to catch a monster. While I was unhooking one of her catfish she said "grab your pole", as I turned my rod was completely bent over on the verge of going overboard. I grabbed the rod and couldn't believe what I felt on the other end. It was like a swimming snag. The fish pulled both anchors loose and pulled us downstream a few feet until I finally got it next to the boat. It wasn't even pitch black yet and we had only been on the water for about an hour. We hauled the fish into the boat, packed everything up, and drove the 30 minutes back to my house. It was about 11 when we got home and I went inside and woke my dad up (he had to work the next morning so he was a little grumpy). He came outside and weighed the fish. "32 pounds" is what he said, but I said "wait, the tail is still on the ground". The fish weighed 40 pounds even on a digital scale (buy one they are cheap) and since that day my dad has bought two massive poles for himself, and I bought one for my fiance. My dad has since caught a 44 pounder. There are many things to learn from this story. First, do your own research into how these fish should be caught, don't listen to what Grandpa Joe did 30 years ago to catch a 10 pounder. Second, have faith in the big poles and hooks that you use (that 10/0 hook looked tiny in that 40 pounders mouth).
    Third, once you start fishing for them right its only a matter of time. Fourth, unfortunetly my fish died that night, it was my own fault for not having a tank or large container to transport him in (I crammed him in the livewill). Always carry a camera and scale with you while you are on the water, that way you can release the fish to be caught again. These fish might be older than you in some cases. If you have to transport them home go to walmart and buy a large storage container (they are super long and about $15) and throw it in the back of your truck. We kept my dads catfish alive in our garage for 2 days (don't forget an aerator) while everybody we new came over to look at it, and then we released it so maybe somebody else could catch it again. In conclusion your dad and grandpa know alot about fishing I bet, but they don't know everything and alot of it is just folklore that gets passed on from generation to generation. Do your own research, listen to the guys on this site (I have, I don't pay attention to everything though, you're not gonna agree with everybodys opinion) and take care of the fish after you have caught it.

2. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    Good post. Ain't it funny how people quit laughing at your big poles when they get a look at the results. I don't know how many times I have caught decent sized flatheads and other fishermen said they didn't know that there were fish that big in there. Not many peolple fish for them where I do and it usually shocks them to see one.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Great post! I needed that!:big_smile:

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Excellent post! I fished for 35 years with zebco 33's and chicken liver, etc... and was thrilled with anything over 3 lbs. Then I found this place. Then I bought 7 foot rods like those strange creatures that only come out at dusk that I used to scoff at. I put on size 5 circle hooks, though they were just huge! Someone here called them small, so I bought size 8.... I just upgraded and bought 2 12 foot ugly sticks.... Maybe I'll catch one yet this year! It is a definite disease!

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Grate articale. I too am one that in the past have only couthr small chanels and never fished for the big ones. That has changed in my old age. I am going to be living about 100 miles north of here and on the Red River so will be fishing for big ones. Already started upgradeing my gear becouse there are some fairly nice ones down here in the marsh. Never to late to teach an old dog new things.

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    great thread, you would be surprised how many people laugh at even my 7.5 ft. rods. and my huge bait. until they see what eats bait like that:big_smile:

7. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    It is funny how people really shut there mouth when you show them a picture of your catch compared to there what they thought was as huge 4 pound fish. I like there expression when you tell them how that cat weighs 40#s. Also it is a good idea to get a camera and scale like you said when you get into flathead fishing. Catch and release is the way to go so you can fight that fish another day.

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    awsome post
    thank you for sharing that story
    makes me think of how anyone that fishes near us always go nuts when we get huge bits and dont yank the pole
    we have tried to explain we are using circle hooks but the general people dont understand haha

9. smith06

smith06 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have always used poles bigger than I have needed to cuz you never know when your gonna catch a big'un. (I still haven't) But I love it when they ask me which ocean Im goin' to.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I agree not all giant fish come from the ocean and not all monsters of the deep are caught at night so just like the Boy Scouts "Be Prepared" because sooner are later that big pole can catch a BIG fish:cool2:

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am not new to it, but I fish like a rookie.

12. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    On hellava post. Stories like tha tis why I joined the BOC. Soulnds like my life story, except I'm am just starting the hunt. Guys I work with see pictures of my 40-50 lb blues, but laugh when I tell them I am hunting the 100lb flathead. It may never come, but this is funner than sneaking into old man Wither's catfish pond at night. Thanks for the post.

13. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm glad everybody liked the post

14. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Nice post.

I will consider myself new untill the Flats quit showing me something new that I've not seen before. Still learning and always looking for the better ways that work !!!!!!

:still_dreaming:

10 ft Surf Rods with HEAVY, STURDY Rod Holders from the bank, does from time to time get a few chuckles from others......till they bend down that is!!

:big_smile_2:

15. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great story, cant wait to catch my first monster!!!

16. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The picture in my avatar is of my faince's biggest fish caught a couple of days ago, 13.4 lbs