Are you guys getting ready for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Blacky, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Got me a new reel, Shimano Calcutta 400BSV. 40 3 and 4 oz no-roll sinkers. A box of 50 Eagle Claw kahle hooks.

I'm ready for 2007 flatheads!!! Are you?

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm ready but we still got a few months to go!:sad2: I did recently pick up a vintage 10' Shakespeare Wonderod in real nice shape that I plan on putting to use this year. Everything else is waiting on standby for the season to arrive!:big_smile:

3. KGK20

KGK20 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    should be about the end of april and may cant wait good luck

4. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Im finally placeing my order to catfish connection $450.I got an aqua view for christmas to play with.I want a dvr for it so I can record.I finally got my kerosene heater fixed so I can start the list of renovations I have for my boat.Mostly trialer work I put way to much weight in my boat when i customized it.I dont trust my little trailer to get me to places like the allegheney or the patomic.I have a lowrance lms 332c that hasnt worked right since i bought it that needs to be serviced.Motor also needs service.Ill be placein an order for 300 glow sticks for my rod tips this weekend.I have 2 giant spools of berkley big game on the way from ebay.Im curiouse to see if its as good as everyone on here says it is.I quit useing berkley XL many years ago and switched to silverthread excallibur I havent used another line since that impressed me I need to purchase a permit to use a cast net.I wanted to start a guide service this spring but that may half to wait till next year(Pass boater safety coarse,CPR certification,Liability insurance,pay fish commision for guideing licence) I will definately be ready by the prespawn bite.Look out great pappy cat here i come :cool2:

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Yep Shure Am.Been Buying a Bunch of New Gear Off eBay.The Little Lady Says I'm to ready,BANNED Me from eBay altogather.What a BUMMER cause I saw some STUFF that I don't Own Yet.Probably a Good thing though,because I would have Us Broke in short Order!! (Hi I'm JOHN and I'm a FISHAHOLIC) Better practice that one because I think Shes about ready to make me start attending them meetings.LOL.Probably will see some of the Brothers there. J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JD I'm not sure that you are just right. Maybe a little to the left. Bro. when she closes you down on E-Bay and you need a sholder to cry on, call on me I'll listen. But no sympathy.:haha: :look_down:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I got me a new rig to, so I am ready for them cats :cool2:

8. socex

socex New Member

State:
    Industry, Pennsylvania
    I've been ready for weeks now. I picked up two Penn 220 GTO's, assorted size kahle hooks, and bought a no-roll mold for making sinkers. I got about 100 sinkers made up. We start having tourney in my neck of the woods in April, so it won't be long.

9. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hopefuly the ice will break up in the next two to three week on the North Branch of the Suskie, then the game's begin. Some of are best Cat fishin starts right after iceout here. I hope the river comes up a lot because it as low it gets in the summer right now. I dident get anything new for this year, but I did get a new reel at the end of last year. I might look into some new glass rods as well. I'm ready!!!!!!!!!
    (Blacky) I'm going to look you up this year for some of them Flattys

10. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Went to walmart yesterday and got me some new line and some new kahle hooks and cleaning up my reals. I'll be ready to go.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I can't wait. I've been cleaning stuff and rerigging lines and feeding the suckers I still have in my bait tank in my garage and in general just going stirr crazy. The new addition this year is the new rod holder I designed for bank fishing on rocky shores. I'm kinda proud of how it turned out so I attached a picture of it. Can't wait to give it a try.:crazy:

Attached Files:

12. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    I went all out for Christmas, 4 new rods, 2 new reels, Rod holders and some odds and ends. I'm definitely ready to fish for something. Cabin fever driving me crazy. :tounge_out:

13. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I been buying up gear at wally worlds closeouts, and ebay. Mr Straka has offered me a reel at a more than fair price. I just gotta get my lazy butt across the river. I have a goal, 25 pounds of flathead this year. It will be the first year I target a specific fish, and my first flattie ever.
    After reading all kinds of good info here at the BOC, not to mention the awesome library of details, I feel confident that Im going to get my goals acheived.

14. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    confidence is the key Kenny!

If you have confidence, the flattie will come!

15. lklutts

lklutts New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I caught a nice 7 lb flathead on my trotline today. I had beefheart on the line and had to cut the staging off it was so deep. When I opened him up, he had an 8 inch cat inside his stomach. It had the hook in its mouth. So I guess the beef heart was responsible in a roundabout way. Do not care, will grill up nicely tomorrow. Len

16. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Hey tim thats a fine lookin rod holder.I purchased something kinda similar from cabelas called a surf rod pod.Its a tri pod with adjustable legs.I havent used it much b/c Im not doin much bank fishing these days.Just thought Id let you know it was out there.I spent all Last weekend workin on my boat.I installed a gang box of ciggarette lighter outlets.So i could power LED black lights and my spot light.I rigged 1 black light to each gunwale so it will light up all 4 rods.I have berkley glowstick rods and electric green big game line.Itll be the next best thing next to a pink floyd concert.Im stoked about the upcomming season is it sprigtime yet?:cool2:

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Saw my first flathead of 07 landed on a lure.

Will try next week.

Any tips fishing early spring for them?

I'm sure the eastern flatties behave the same as the weatern flatties.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Here's some new gear i got for the 2008 Schuykill Flathead Campaign.

Reels: ABU 6500 BalckCat and ABU 6500 C3

Rods: 7'6 St. Croix Classic and and another 8'0 Shakespeare UglyCat

Things I will do different this year!

1. Last year, my first flathunt was on May 1st. I caught them in numbers. This year, I will target deep river channels and ledges starting in mid-April.

2. This year, I will minimize sound and light while on my flathunts. I now believe uneccessary noise and light will have drastic affects on your trip.

3. I am gonna use MONSTROUS BAITS. I mean legal sized bass, 12 inch suckers, and even 5 lb carp. Catching a 5, 10, 15 lb flathead is fgetting real old! Big-Bait-Big-Fish Theory will be experminted everynight.

4. I will do OVERNIGHT trips. I just purchased a cot and tent and am willing to sleep on the river bank.

5. Instead of fishing 4 to 5 nights a week in 07, I plan on fishing 6 nights per week. I want to use my entire summer off in search of the mythical Schuykill 40.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FLATHEADS?

19. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Good Luck on your quest for the 40lber.:cool2:
    Nice new gear aswell.

20. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Didnt get no new gear have to much already but did order hooks. One thing to do this year is build a good bait tank had alot of problems last year I actually electricuted about 2 dozen suckers last year when the aerator fell in the water and didnt trip the GFI and not thinking I grabbed the plug and I got wacked LOL. It was a smell I wont forget.Hope to get more time to fish this year seems when the good fishing gets here then we get swamped at work with alot of overtime.Also hope to get my daughter out a few times with me she got one little one last year this year see if she can handle something above 20 pounds. And as Blacky said BIG BAIT when it hits the water I want people to say what was that. I also agree with Blacky about light and noise.Good luck all in your quest for big ole flattys in 08.