are you gonna let a little snow put a damper on your fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 5, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my question is simply this.. it's snowing and its cold..are you gonna let it keep you hiden away in your warm home? or are you a bad dude that won't let mother nature hold you down? fire up the truck, and head to the river!!?? me personally.....im staying home:smile2: rollo

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    It's snowing? I wouldn't know. I don't even look outside till about March. Are there actually folks who fish in this fringed environment?

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    Yea i guess you could call me crazy or dumb or maybe even tough but i fish all the way through the winter and still catch some fish. I generally stay close to deep holes on the river and fish close to any warm water source i can find (nuclear plants or city water discharges) and these places can be quite successful in the cold winter months.

4. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    We've gotten about 5 inches here so far this morning and they're callin' for another 2 - 3 by the time it's all done...

I'm one for stayin' at home today. Tomorrow, though, may be a different story.... :big_smile:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I went down to the Greenup dam yesterday for skips but the water was WAY too high. I came home and got a bag of frozen ones and hit the Ohio(bank fishing close to my house). Not one bite or run!:smile2: It wasn't snowing but about 38*.
    Today we have about 3" of snow. I'm ready to go!!! I talked to Crab last night and were gonna go somewhere this weekend. It'll be in the 50's this weekend though...Go figure!:smile2:

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im hoping to get back from taking the dogs for a hike in the local park with enough time to hit a favorite bank spot on the GMR for a while, if I go Ill post some results and pics hopefully.

Salmonid
    PS got about 4" here in Dayton today so far

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    outta make for a nice day on the water! might wanna salt the boat ramp before backing on that one!!! lol.. does sound fun, but i have had a cold.. excuses, excuses! :smile2: rollo

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry, i misread you are banking it...rollo:big_smile:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    One thing about snow is it dampens noise LOL. Or maybe we're too cold to make any LOL. I'm gonna sit this weekend at home. I don't feel like shoveling off the ramp.

10. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    spozed to warm up a little bit this weekend.... might make a trip Sat/Sun... :wink:

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was thinking about going to the dam on day this weekend to try and get some skips. and fishing whatever day i don't do that.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Well, I got out for a little over an hour from about 3:00 till 4:15 or so, it was cold and windy, did I mention the windchill was 12 degrees? :crazy: anyways, I hit the "Pickle" hole ( dont ask) and its a little sheltered and close to the car so thats why I went there. Did I mention it was freaking cold out there?? I just pretended I was steelhead fishing and dressed up real warm in multiple layers.
    The spot I was fishing has a deep undercut bank with tree roots, some exposed wood, a nice current seam and is anywhere from 4-7 ft deep. The river was really cranking ( up 2 feet) and had moved a tree into the best casting spot so I fished around it. Water temp was 39 according to the USGS gauge nearby. so for you warm weather mamby pambies out there....I took a 3lb channel right away and then fished for a while and had another mediocre hit but he never took it good enough to lift the rod (circles) but I knew there was another fish around so I worked all around the spot for another 40 minutes or so and decided to call it since I was getting cold as the wind was picking up and shifted into my face.

A little cold never hurt anyone eh?

Salmonid

Attached Files:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    pretty interesting day... i decided to get the warm clothes on and finally go outside, and clean the driveway with the jet boat!!! lol.. windchill wasn't too bad at my pad!!! :smile2: rollo

14. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    noFISHING FOR ME!!
    JUST SHOVLEED SNOW FOR 25 SENIORS.
    BUT IVE GOT THE FISHING FEVER.
    RIVER IS MOVING TO FAST FOR ME TO GO OUT ALONE.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's the best picture I've seen all month Rollo LOl

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I will be staying home LOL go figure on that I hate the snow but I hate the cold worse.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was gonna ramp ellis today, but made it out the driveway to the main road!!! dam salt!!! just lost all my power!!! i bet if the state would have acted like usual i would have made it down there!!! rollo

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Don't go kiddin about Ramping Ellis. I told you If you want me to, I'll drive your boat over the Falls while you film me from the shore. LOL I'd rather go with shawn cause his boat is a couple feet longer and is a tad faster lol. I also know for a fact that the Loanwizard is willing to jump it.

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shawns boat would be bigger...but he is broken down as far as i know... and i dunno if he can out run mine... i suppose he can, but.... that barge may nose dive.. with my light weight boat, and clothing i wear i must add.. im sure too fly like a bird!!! do you think i outta lose the Jimmie Buffet hat and shave my head and wear a racing swimmers hat?:roll_eyes:lol rollo

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I am absolutely NOT going to let snow put a damper on my fishing, or mess it up in any way! Like any sane human, I'm going to stay indoors where it's warm, watching the TV, with some kind of warming drink. My 'ice fishing' consists of trying to snag some cubes from the icemaker tray.