Are you Fishing this weekend in Arkansas?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Arkie55, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    OK guys and gals, lets hear who is fishing this weekend and where. I know someone is going and I'm sure someone will catch some fish. We really need to get this Arkansas section pumped up. There are several Arkies here but for some reason (me included) we don't post a lot of information. I know we fish places other than the Arkansas and Mississippi rivers so lets hear about some of them.:)

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    You nailed it on the head, Arkansas members will not even give a roll call any more. I cant under stand it. Arkies used to be very active here. Oh well, to each his own!!:confused: :confused:

3. CharlieD

CharlieD New Member

State:
    Lincoln,Ar
    I can't fish for a couple more weeks so I would love to hear some fish stories and find out if and where they're biting.

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    Well folks I have been fishin but they ain't been bitin. I ahve fished the St. Francis and Mississippi last weekend. I hve fished Horseshoe, Island 40 and Mound City Chute. All I have done is relaxed and burnt up gas and killed bait.

But

Plan on tryin again this weekend, maybe Sunday

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Charlie,Buster, thanks for the replies. I have not been out in about 3 weeks, I do not have a truck to pull my boat and must rely on some one to pull the boat.

6. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i went below l&d 13 both fri and sat no cat only drum they weren't running any water. i saw they were catching skipjack so went today and caught 9 large skips in about 30 minutes caught them on pink and chartruese crappie jigs. thsy weighed up to 2lb 2 oz. i have never used skipies for bait how do you cut them and whar portions do you use. thanks

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Most of us just cut the skips cross wise. Use all the skip even the head. I have seen some good blues caught from the head. I have seen some people cut them in fillets but I do not like to use mine in that way. The gut pocket has always produced good bites/catches for me.

8. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    thanks i tried one today no luck but below the dam was very crowded i tried the head but it was very large i then filleted one in thin strips i got some nibbles but it was probably drum couldn't fish but a couple of hrs. did catch 15 skippies in about 30 minutes.

9. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Like Tops says, cut the skippie across the body. I cut mine about 3/4 of an inch wide like catfish stakes. Then I split the stake at the back bone to make two baits from one stake. Then just hook the bait in one corner leaving the hook exposed. The only part of a skippie I don't use is the tail. To be honest, I can't tell one portion is any better than the next. I just know they catch more fish for me than any other bait.

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :) Went out to the Ar. river this weekend. The water temp dropped to 59 on the surface of the channel, the shallows were 60 starting off the day. Had to earn the fish this weekend....caught my limit...the cold front pushed em' back out in the channel...we need a BIG Warm rain:)

11. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    I went turkey hunting up around Hardy this weekend, my family has a place over on the spring river . I ordered some Danny Kings punch bait and it made it last thursday so I figured I'd try it on the river while we were up there anyway. Well the turkey weren't cooperating and neither were the catfish! Oh well, there is always next weekend :)

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Hey Big Duck, next time you decide to come to Hardy, send me a pm a day or so before you come and we can get together and drown something. I have access to that big strip of water in the Spring River bout a mile or so before you get into Hardy. Can't put in the bass boat there but could fish off the bank. Also know some good trout spots up river.

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, I didn't fish for cats but me and the wife went over to Lake Conway this afternoon and caught some nice bluegills and 3 redears, we brought home 20 all together. It was a lot of fun and will make a good supper tomorrow night.

Do you guys think I could catch some skips below the dam at Toadsuck? I think I'm plumb out.

ST

:0a18: ​

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went saturday to craighead forest lake and caught my first cat of the season, 5lb. albino cat. It's going to be a good year.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    SeedTick, if you and your wife like fishing for hand sized bream, there's a spot down at Wilbur Mills you ought to try. As you are going into the second campground, where we always have our gatherings, there's an old oxbow off to the right. Lots of trees and such in the water. I saw 2 people come out with enough bream in one day's fishing to make about 8#-10# of fillets. They caught them on crickets.

16. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    i'm sure you can catch skippies below toad suck, i told my boy about catching them up here and he went to toadsuck sunday ans there were so many people fishing below the dam he couldn't get in and went to lake conway crappie fishing he said most were rigged for skips but only saw them catching a few small cat on their rigs. lol

17. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Thanks for the invite Chuck! I'll be sure and look you up next time to see if our schedules will match up. :thumbsup:

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I went by Murray L&D this afternoon to see if anybody was catching anything. Three guys were leaving without having done any good; they said some other guys that left earlier hadn't had any luck either. The cut that's so productive for skippies when the water is right is only accessable by boat now, because of the construction going on. Also, the water isn't right to attract the skippies there.

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Don't look like I'll be doing any fishing this weekend. I just dropped of the boat seats for a re-upholster job. Hail storm wrecked em good. Should be ready by the following weekend tho.

The upholsterer lives in Walnut Ridge and he said some friends of his (there was 16 of em) went to Millwood and brought back over 90 crappies that would go a pound to a pound and a half.

20. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I am so full of them fresh bluegills I can't hardly breathe. Man they were good. And to think they are just bait for some folks.

ST