Are you a lefty or a righty?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gilmafam, Dec 1, 2006.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    What hand to you use? For what you might ask?... I just was wondering if some of you have thought about this, or care?
    60 years ago, when I learned to catch the gold fish out of our fish pond, we used a worm tied to a string attached to a stick. I used my right hand to hold the pole. This method worked for crawdads too.
    As I got older, and learned to fly cast ... the right hand again. When I went salt water fishing, the crank was on the right and you would cast over right shoulder and then tuck the pole under the left arm and crank with the right hand....Sound familiar?
    Now as spinning gear came into play and I was fishing streams etc. I would hold the pole in the right hand, and retrieve the line with the left hand... works quicker.

One of the best things in fishing is seeing a fish "take it", to feel it, and then you "slam it to him". Again, "you know what I mean". I see all of these professional LM Bass boys changing their hands from right to left after they cast.... loosing valuable time ...

So, I'm like some of you, I bet. My preference with bait casters is left hand crank. Spinning gear... left hand crank... salt water both hands on the pole for the "PUMP", and then right hand for the crank.
    I haven't caught a giant cat yet, so I'll have to wait and see how my left hand Garcia works.

Some out houses indicate "pointer and setters", I am a pointer, and like most of you.... we're probably right handed.

bayrunner ray

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't think it really matters to me as long as another pointer ain't aimed at me, lol

3. gilmafam

State:
    California
    did the wrong thing again..

bayrunner ray

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Benji,

I took the liberty to lighten up your photo some in photoshop.

bayrunner ray

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks. I need to get a new pic that boat is no longer with me--crying. The misses said she wanted a tritoon boat so I put a for sale sign on it and it sold the same day. Still don't have a tritoon. I had to tell her if she didn't find one soon I was going to get a new(to me boat); tired of waiting.

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    im right handed but use left handed bait casters, kinda sucks that the selection isnt equal to the right handers, i think that the pole belongs in your strong hand, never have figerd why u reel every thing else with your left hand except a bait caster, to me its more natrual to have the pole in your right hand

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am right handed, I use right hand baitcasters, I use my spinning reels on the left hand.

8. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I reel right handed on all poles. I changed the spinning reel handles to the right. Anyone that is right handed and uses my spinning reels finds it backwards. I always wondered why, because they reel right handed with all other poles.

9. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm sem-psuedo-abmidexrous(that means I don't well with either hand on somethings).

I use all left hand cranking reels - fly fishing, spinning and baitcasting. Although I do have some right hand baitcasters for other folks that fish in my boat. Yeah the selection is kind of bad of lefties.

Now here is the bad thing. I'm a hound kind of guy. I know that ought to get me RAZZED by some out there. But just so you know, I do point and shoot, but I do it with either hand and I do miss on occasion.

BTW Gilmafam nice job on the photo shop. Any
    chance you could give my avatar a go ? I'm kind of a techno dodo with some things.

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm what you call a SouthPaw. I am left handed in writing letters but as far as fishing is concerned I'm adapted to the right hand thing.But when I eat I use my left hand!:big_smile:

11. gilmafam

State:
    California
    BTW Gilmafam nice job on the photo shop. Any
    chance you could give my avatar a go ? I'm kind of a techno dodo with some things.[/quote]

Howard... is this "imporved enough"?

Gilmanfam... bayrunner ray

12. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Howard... is this "imporved enough"?

Gilmanfam... bayrunner ray[/quote]

Much better:big_smile:

Thanx !

13. gilmafam

State:
    California

You fit in my boat just fine!

bayrunner ray

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    For me it is Right handed on almost everything! I also am like CJ21 in that I use a Baitcaster with the handle on the right side and a Spinning reel with the handle on the left side. Although I can work with any fishing gear that I pick up.

HOPPY4

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    For most everything I am right handed but fish left handed, i.e. rod in left hand, reel with right hand. I shoot right handed but can play darts and pool either handed.
    I am always fascinated when I watch people eat and they hold the food down with the fork in left hand, cut with knife in right hand and then put the knife down, put the fork in their right hand to put the food in their mouths. I'm not saying it's wrong, just fascinating...W

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    im right handed but my left arm is stronger than my right , i guess its from pullin in all those nice cats :lol: im not into speed when catfishing so casting with my right hand and switching over to my left to set the hook doesnt bother me guess iv gotten used to it over the years .

17. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I am right handed. I grew up fishing as a boy with spinning reels that were left hand crank. I got used to this and now my Ambassadeurs and Penn reels are all left hand crank as well as my bass reels. I wouldn't have it any other way!

18. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    All my Baitcasters are right handed.My Spinning reels are left handed.tried using a spinning reel right handed didn't feel right. But I am naturally right handed. Now when I played ball I could bat right or left handed.

19. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I am right handed. I cast right handed and then swap and reel right handed with any kind of reel. I just cant use my left hand for anything.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I use left handed spinners and right handed baitcasters. I been questioned about that a few times but its what feels most comfortable to me. Just like CJ do.