Are We Really Conservationist?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by neocats, May 21, 2008.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have seen a trend that I want to address. I am disturbed by the way we sometimes treat new members.

Our Brotherhood of Catfishing is not a private club made up of people that all think the same. We have people from all walks of life and all age groups that have joined us to be part of our family, to learn more about Catfishing, and to be a part of something exciting. Many are like kids when they join us and some really are kids. Meaning they know very little about Catfishing, conservation, fishing methods, or any of the issues that concern us. We are being way too hard on our new members sometimes in regards to their views on things. We would not push our child off the toilet when we are trying to potty train them, so why push a brother off the forum if we want to educate them.

We should not be turning into a closed- minded clique where no one feels comfortable talking about or asking questions about topics that are sensitive to others. This is how they learn.

I have felt looked down on because I bank fish. I have felt shunned for jug fishing, pay lake fishing, and trot lining. And I have almost walked away from the group in the past as have a few others.

I have participated in all the” bad” activities at some point. I remember not knowing what the term CPR stood for in regards to fishing and thinking what a weird thing to do. I remember when I kept everything I caught without giving it a second thought.

But I learned a lot along the way and have changed a lot of things since I have become a serious catfish angler. Not everyone has made it to the point where I am at.

That is why I feel the need to teach others about conservation, not to downgrade them for something that I have done in the past. I try to explain the reasons I changed to get them to join me.

So, everyone, please consider this. We have to teach new members just like we teach a child new things. They are coming to us often times as a blank slate that we can educate or not.

If we consider ourselves as conservationists, then we have failed when one new member leaves us because of the way we treat them.

Understanding conservation and the issues facing our great sport begins with education.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jeff, I will agree with you on a couple points …. Many of the new Younger fisherman have very little, if any, real experience at cat fishing and infringe on a lot of people’s own personal fishing practices, by asking questions we all think everyone should know. I have on several occasions PM’d a couple of them and explained the situation to them. Also, many of them don’t understand that the same question has been asked and answered a 100 times before they were on here.

Now, I believe that many of the problems we have recently had with several of the Younger, newer members is that they are used to their Blackberries, cell phones and chat and they don’t know really how to phrase a question or spell like normal people do. Then there is the situation where some of these people have no idea in the world what the word RESPECT means and figure that everyone, because they are on line, are of their mental attitude. Which is not the case.

It is more than apparent, on here and everywhere that many Younger people today have never been taught respect or any other of the social graces. I personally don’t mind helping to answer a question, if it has been ask 100, if it is presented in a fashion as it should be.

Most all of us are on here to meet good people, learn, teach and share ideas and information. There are many younger people on here that do have respect and are civilized in there writing technique, but it only takes a couple to ruin it for everyone. I don’t care if a person is 19 or 80, if you show me disrespect, I want nothing to do with you and will probably tell you so.

My one suggestion to anyone that is actively recruiting younger members is to explain to them they must be courteous, respectful, know how to write and spell and don’t be an all around pain in the butt …. Let them know that people are NOT going to give them specific information as to where they fish, DON'T ask. ….. Garry- :eek:oooh:

That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Great posts!!! Lots of great valid points on both posts. Thanks for starting this thread Jeff, hopefully most of the members & guests will read and follow the advice from you and Garry!:wink::big_smile:

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Conservation? No, It's more a matter of survival of the fittest. lol If you cant stand the heat get out of the kitchen. Learn or be left behind. I don't go for the (they are a new member) excuse any more. If they did their home work and read just a sampling of subjects and thoughts pertaining to same, before they joined, I don't believe that their skin would be so thin and we wouldn't have to handle them with kit gloves. Life deals hard situations, this is natures way, if you inter such environs with your eyes and ears open you may survive. :wink:

5. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    the one thing i can add is alot of times new members and fishermen/women are timid about asking questions and starting threads, cause there not used to the people and the surroundings, even i am sometimes as a new member think to myself should i post should i get in on it, sometimes the subjects are more inclined to heated debates most are harmless and great laughs. respect is part of it but not all of it, sometimes people get the wrong impression of a person, i for one wouldnt want someone preaching at me telling me i should do this and do that, that wont get the point across and in most cases will only make it worse and truthfully those people it goes right in one ear and out the other with me, if someone chooses to paylake,jug, bank, boat, etc... so be it as long as they love the sport of catfishing as much as the rest of us, and we should take them in as our brothers and sisters regardless of there habits, whose to say they are doing something illegal, different states different laws, we have to be the ones to understand that our way isnt always the best way for each and everyone of us. yes i CPR, and i never keep any of the bounty i have caught, but i grew up on the thrill of the fight of the fish, i could easily force and push that belief on others that keep some but not all, but i dont cause i undstand that they have there right to do so and i respect that. if we can get passed the differences of others everything will work out in the end and whose to say that we wont try what we might not think is right once shown the proper ways, not everything we think that is wrong is wrong.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Jack,
    Your attitude is exactly why people tell me they don't like the BOC. Because of the dog eat dog mentallity. Did you learn everything you know all on your own?

I'm not saying anyone needs to be handled gently. I think we should invest the time to train and educate new members.

There is no requirement for new members to know everything posted here.

This is also not intended to be a platform to see who can survive. I am not trying to out do anyone or see how many people that I am better than. I am not here to deal out hard knocks that people either deal with or fold under the pressure.

I really hope that is not your intentions either. But if they are, you have that right. Post whatever you want but don't get mad when someone points out the flaws in your opinions.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    There is another thing we need to keep in mind. Peope are not going to change over night. Change takes time and a lot of investment before things will get better.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true they won't change over night. Some people here, new and old members need to read or re-read the rules and use 'Netiquette' when posting on here. Actually any other board they may visit.
    Someone that comes on here, whether new or old member that blatantly calls people names I have nothing for. Also, some people that if you don't fish R&R only then you're wrong, they need to chill out. Everybody has their own methods and as long as its legal, I have no problems.
    I like you am a Bank Fisherman and practice CPR and 99% of the time use R&R only. What others do is fine with me as long as its within the legal limits of the law.
    We've just had a spell of members that seem to want to cause trouble because you don't do it their way or If you don't practice CPR.
    That is what ticks me off badly!!!!!!:angry:

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    John and Jeff youi are both hitting the nail on the head. I myself have gone on some of the threads that have ridiculed others and tried to teach this very thing to no avail. If you want to teach someone your way of thinking you have to take them by the hand and lead them. You cannot throw rocks at them for being different and change them to your way of thinking. When Jesus walked the earth he led by example and with love and he taught and turned multitudes of people with care and nurturing. When the scribes accused the woman of adultry and wanted to stone her what did Jesus do. He said " He who is without sin cast the first stone." This is the way we need to be in turning people on to good conservation. Instead too many of us are like those that accused instead of those that nurture.

We need to take new members under our wings and lead by example and by caring for each other. But if someone is set in their ways don't ridicule and slay them with words of hate and disgust. Some people just take longer to teach than others but, You'll never teach anyone with harsh words or name calling and no one will want to be a part of something that treats them that way.

My challenge to everyone is to treat everyone else like you would want to be treated. You wouldn't want to come to a site and be bashed and battered for your ignorance. You come to this site to learn and gain friends in the fishing community. But just cause someone fishes differently than you doesn't make it wrong as long as they are obeying the laws in which we all live in.

Personally I trotline alot. But, when I am trotlining I am going for food. I'm stocking my freezer. So, I am aiming for eaters not big fish. If I have a big one on my line I let it go. But most of the time where I fish I don't ever even hook a big one. Placement for trotlines and the baits and size baits you use are key to conservation also. But sometimes a big one will take the same bait a smaller fish usually does.

When I want to catch big fish I usually rod and reel fish. It's more fun and more challenging to me. To fight that big fish with your own wit and muscle and to land it and feel the adrenaline rush of it is what trophy fishing is all about. Take a picture and let it go. A good picture last longer than having a fish mounted anyways and costs alot less. If you want a fish mounted buy a reproduction. A reproduction keeps it color and last forever where a fish that has mounted looses its color in just a few short years and eventually falls apart.

Each and everyone of us wants to be treated with respect. To be treated with such respect we have to respect others no matter what they say or do. I know this sounds a little off key but you can't teach a dog to do tricks by yelling at it or beating it. You have to nurture it into the trick and reward it when it does good. That is how you teach it. In this forum you have to do somewhat the same thing. We cannot be there to teach hands on. So we need to nurture with respect and kindness. Ever hear the old saying "kill them with kindness" This is very true in this situation. Kill them with kindness and they will keep coming back and eventually learn to be conservationalists too.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can understand when people are very passionate about something, and feel that what someone else is doing endangers that thing, people get emotional and angry about it. I think a lot of people here have spent a lot of time figuring out what their positions on pay lakes, CPR and fishing in general are. I think we have to remember that a lot of people never have even thought about these issues, not because they are bad people and just don’t care, but many times because they were never exposed to people that told them about the issues. If we automatically ridicule anyone who has a different opinion than us, or we belittle folks that think differently then us, and demand that people follow our self instituted regulations, then we are no better then groups like PETA.

11. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    educate me please been catfishing hundreds of times and I don't know what cpr is. And reguarding these posts on this thread I think it is crazy some people are so judgemental. If someone on this site wants to ask me where the good spots to fish at the Norwalk reservoir I will tell them. They can ask for hot spots if nobody wants to respond that is fine to. Some of these posts are amazing to me. It's like my dad he can't spell very well but is 63 years old and worked over 3200 hours a year for 20 straight years of his life workung as many as 3900 hours in one year which is alot. He can't spell very well when he writes things on forums but is an avid catfisherman more than willing to listen to any advice anybody has and share any knowledge he has. To say people that can't write or spell well will be discounted by some people is insane. I am no better than anybody else have done alot of things I'm not proud of in my life and am a very good person who raises a son and has been married 7 years. Having made mistakes in my life I never rush to judgement about anybody everyone has good in them. Some of the comments I've read make me laugh hysterically. Have some compassion and understanding for people the BOC isn't about hard knocks or at leasy I didn't think it was anyway. I thought it was a place for people interested in catfishing to ask any question they had no matter how dumb it may seem to others. If people don't like the question don't respond. There is no reason to be mean to someone on this site and if you are being mean you are just turning someone away who wants to learn which is dumb.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas

Randy, first of all welcome to the BOC.... You can find all kinds of useful information in the member library.

CPR stands for Catch ... photagraph... release.
    It's a practice that most of us here do for conservational purposes of our beloved catfish. If you catch a big catfish over 10lbs or bigger can and will carry alot more eggs in them than the smaller ones. Thus helping to restock our lakes and streams with more catfish for future generations to catch.

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    CPR = Catch Photo Release

As opposed to keeping the fish or dragging it back to the bait shop to have a picture taken there.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Slow down there brother. How in the world did you get dog eat dog, anger and being mad out of what I said? lol This clearly explains how some new members get frustrated and hurt to the point of quiting, they misinterprets some or all of how something is stated. I am sure anyone in a good mood took what I said as interjected with a little wry humor and sarcasm, but not anger. As I too am sure any one that is in a particular foul mood found the meaning to be as you did. Maybe it's what side of the bed you got out of that makes the difference. lol :wink:

15. ranman92

ranman92 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Thank you for telling me what cpr stands for. Since I only fish for the sport of it I always release every cat I catch. I have only caught two channels over 10 lbs both last year on the neocats circuit 1 was 12lbs 8 ounces the other was 10 lbs 5 ounces and that one wasn't even big enough to win biggest fish but the 12lber was. And again thanks this really is a great site I have loved it so far. I took the approach when I got on here that if I ask stupid questions the worst that can happen is nobody answers. Funny thing is every question I've ever asked on here I always get a great response. I even ask where the good fishing spots are for the lakes and reservoirs we fish for our tournaments are thinking nobody would respond. And every time people point me in the right direction. I'm never looking for someones best spot just what area of the lake is good for catfishing.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Jack, If I misinterpreted this as dry humor, I apologize. I never said anything about anger or being mad. The dog-eat-dog was referring to your comment on survival of the fittest. Why does our forum have to be this way? You may the best person in the world, but if you can't get other people to follow you, there won't be anyone to carry on after you.

17. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    Did someone get thier feelings stepped on? I've been a member of this board just shy of 2 years although I don't post all that much, I read it 2 or 3 times a day. Although I live in West Virginia, I hang with the Buckeye Brothers for a couple reasons. 1. there is seldom very many guys in the WV room to post with. 2. I fish more in Ohio than I do WV. 3. This seemed (and still does) like a good bunch of guys that were all eager to share information to make all of us better fishermen. Friendly folks helping each other with tips and how to. One BIG problem with the print media is that you can't hear the tone of a guy's voice. It's sometimes hard to tell if your leg is getting yanked a little or if someone is really upset. But I don't remember anyone really getting hammered on here?? Hope not anyway. Okay, I'll shut up now.

18. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Yes some do get very pushy when it come to how they think things in the cat fishing should go. Some also get very short with new comers that don’t fall straight into the way thing work here on the BOC. Misunderstandings happen constantly as in what I took Jack’s comment was sarcasm and some took as mean tempered. Most of us that have been on the BOC for awhile have had the time to learn those that post regularly, what there feelings on each subject might be. New comers do not have that privilege. Luckily when I first joined the BOC I had a friend that introduced me and informed me about the way the regulars are so I was able to understand more of the way some people are on the BOC. Once I became very upset at how I felt I was treated by a BOC member, but my friend explained to me that that person was just passionate about certain things and got us together and hand shakes & understanding ever since. So having a BOC mentor goes a long way. The more mentors we have the more understanding we will have. Maybe the BOC can set up a Volunteer Mentor Program to go along with the Religious Talk & High Intensity Area.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jerry, that is a wonderful Idea. What if we had a place , not in view of the every day board, to bring those kind of questions up. We could call it the Anger Management Section. If you perceive a problem between you and another brother, you can request to meet him or her in the Anger Management Room. Unlike a PM, this room could be lightly monitored with a moderator kind of acting like a moderator, so if any one got really out of hand and turned really nasty, they could be summarily dealt with. I think it is worth looking in to,even though I myself am never misunderstood.lol:crazy::eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2::smile2::smile2:

20. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Well anger management might be needed sometimes but my point was more toward a place some of us could volunteer to be a mentor in our area or state, that new comers can check out and request a mentor for a length of time. A place were new comers can get one on one help from those that have been on the BOC for awhile and have become familiar with those that post regularly on there area or state pages.