Are we dooming our fish.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by FishMan, Jul 10, 2006.

Big Fish

1. catching more

2. catching less

3. about the same

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just had this thought today. What do you all think.

I was thinking how much I have learned from the BOC about the big trophy fish and started wondering if we might be giving information to people who are taking our Trophy size fish from our water. It's just been 1 year that I have been fishing for them so I guess this question can best be answered from the members that have fished for the trophy size fish for many years.

How about it guys are you catching fewer trophy size fish, more bigger fish or is it about the same.

This could be a poll question if I knew how to make it so.

OK I got the poll, easy, just had to look

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you might be on to something but I think we maybe helping each other break state and world records too.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I have thought about that some. I guess there are people like out there and it just sucks. I guess the only thing we can do is educate more poeple to CPR are the big ones.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Danny, I think the people that take the fish that are hurting us need to be BOC members. The members on this site care tremendously about the sport and preservation of catfish for generations to come.

5. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Easy for me to say... I haven't caught a record fish.... yet...:big_smile:

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good thinking, they may have learned how to catch them here but they need to learn more, I see what you are saying.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    mm, actually, I see more talk of CPR (not just here, but in mag articles, fishing shows, etc) more now then ever... When I was a youngin and fishing with my grandpa, if it was caught, it was on the table that nite. He fished for food heh... Anymore, seems more and more people looking at it more of sport and seems to release fish more.. Least, thats what I notice...

8. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    A 20 pound fish would be a trophy for me.I do most of my catfishing in March and April and then I back off and do more bream fishing with the kids.I have reached a point where I try not to hammer to death anything, rather I'm fishing or hunting.I know I have not hurt the big fish because I have not caught any big fish...LOL

9. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I have yet to catch a trophy sized cat, but thanks to this website I now know that the first thing I will do is put it back where it came. It is a sensitive subject to some and a total personal decision, but these forums have educated me to make a good choice. Besides putting people on fish, this website will educate future conservationist on environmental impact of fishing. IMO, this site can do nothing but good to our trophy fish population.

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Thats why its good to catch and release

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Gosh Danny thats a real good Question.I would like to think we are not but I don't have any data to back that up,J.D.Straka :big_smile:

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Danny,
    I voted less in your poll, this only applies to Milford Lake in Kansas though. In the last 3-4 years, the big fish just aren't here like they used to be. Years past I'd catch 15 to 20 Channels and/or Blues from 15 to 20+ lbs, last year I caught 5, this year only 3 so far. I've always released all Cats 10lbs or heavier. Every spring when the Blues move up North to the shallower water, way to many were being kept, if they were caught, they were kept (most times). This past year a few were caught, every one was wondering where the big fish were(?), gee, I wonder!

13. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I think the whole fishing situation is better off generally speaking. I think that survivalbilty of hard fought fish is not as high as we think but it is better than putting them on the table. One of the things that made me mad about Splash was that they had talked about returning her to Texoma but did not because she was such an atraction. I don't know for sure but the record flathead was picured be held up in the bed of a truck . Not a good sign.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't think I have to worry to much about record fish. At the rate I'm going this year I'm lucky to even catch a fish(let alone a record or big fish.) Fishing this year stinks so far.
    Neighbor and I had that little talk last week. He thinks I'm nutts when I made the remark that any fish over 10 # should be released back to the water. Needless to say that didn't go over very big. Oh well thats life. He can get upset I don't really give a hoot. If I caught it I can release it .(Right). However I can't force him to do the same. Lord oh Lord what does a fellow do!!

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

this is what I mean. we are making an impact with the BOC. I believe we are getting the word out about the great fish and more and more people who never thought about catching a really big fish are now partly because of us starting to fish for these trophy size fish and many are overcome with their catch and can only think of showing it to everyone they know. They want their kids to always remember the day daddy came home with the fish of a lifetime.

I haven't finished thinking of this as of now but I am starting to believe that we need to somehow get more folks educated about these great fish. The first thing people need to understand is that a blue cat is different. Most people look at catfish as a fast growing food source and have no idea that a really big catfish is a different animal and takes many many years to get big. It's a simple fact to us but I think we are forget to properly educate the masses and as one of the largest catfish organization in the nation BOC may need to step it up a notch,

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Danny you have a very good question and I know I am catching less than I was but I am trying newer spots as well.

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Tea you hit on it I know just me personally since becoming a member of acats and now a member of this site I havent allowed anyone that fishes on my boat to keep any fish over 15 lbs. and now I am dropping that weight limit down to 10 lbs. I have been guilty of keeping big fish in the past since I put on a lot of fish fries but I can catch plenty of smaller fish for this and will no longer keep any spawning size fish. The people that continue to keep these fish need to become members of this site and or acats. They just need to be educated as I have been on what they are doing by removing these fish from the waters that they fish.

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I didn't answer the poll because I don't feel I've been chasing trophy catfish long enough to make that call. But fish have a life cycle, they hatch they grow and they die. I feel the main factor in how many big catfish there are this year depends on the spawn that happened 18 to 20 years ago. The spawn runs in cycles too, the weather and water conditions have a big impact on the survival rate of the fry. If there was a big successful spawn those years there will be more trophy size cats now, if not there will be less. As i said it runs in cycles so you will catch more big cats some years and less in others.
    As for people reading my posts about where I fish I will continue to post and anyone who wants to how and where I catch fish is welcome to come along. And for those worried about commercial fishermen, ya'll might be surprised to learn we have some members that are commercial fishermen, and actually the commercial fishermen around here have helped put me on fish several times even gave me bait when I was low. Sure there are some that don't care just like there are some "sport" fishermen that don't, but most of them do care and are working to help insure that their children and grandchildren can follow them if they want. Also if he's making a living fishing chances are he already knows about your honey hole.

19. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    the biggest for me so far is an 8 pound flathead which i caught and released last year unharmed!

20. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know the pay ponds are hurting us. Seen an ad on the net from one in Indiana that offers $5 a lb for cats over 20. Also ran into some guys on the scioto that had 2 over 20 and were taking them to one. :angry: