Are we catching any Iowa?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by catsrking, Mar 16, 2006.

1. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Just curious if anyone has done any good wetting a line lately? I did pretty fair last weekend just West of Grand River. A friend and myself caught 5 channels 4-8 lbs. Not gonna be able to go this upcoming weekend though. :crying:

2. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I've been out several times and still have had no luck yet. The only luck I've been having is catching shad to freeze at lake Manawa. I probally have about 10lbs worth of shad in the deep freeze now.

3. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've been out several times in the last couple weeks with zip for luck. I think I should refocus and head for the Ia. River instead of fishing a creek channel on a Marsh near me. I've using some good size frozen chubs from last fall. Their there but several other guys that fish for them also haven't had luck trying crqwlers or chubs. Of course one day it rains then snows and 3 weeks ago I was in the northern part of the state ice fishing. I gonna try the river and its probably where I should of been to start with.

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    havent been out yet maybe this sunday or monday

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    How is the fishing around the river near Pittsburg? AS I will be staying there for a few days in Mid July.
    Have a wedding to go to there. And may try to fish. Not sure if I will tow the boat yet.
    Pete

6. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I haven't been out yet. Most years I go out really early and get nothing. This year I have decided to wait a little longer.

7. Hazmat

Hazmat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Went out Saturday and caught (with wife) 16 nice cats from 1 to 3.5 lbs. Sunday, only managed 6. Size was still good, but change in weather made em tougher to find.

We'll probably go again tomorrow afternoon or Sat...sposed to be windy tomorrow, though.

8. iowain 45-70

iowain 45-70 New Member

when last weekend no luck.plane are to go this weekend.

9. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Gonna head out here after a bit and give it a serious try this morning. Maiden voyage for the boat this year.

10. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good Luck, Graybeard. Upper end of Coralville res has been pretty good this week. I caught 10 on Tuesday and 12 on Wednesday. Watch out for the mud!

11. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    i went on the mississippi yesterday. was a frustrating venture. of course high water and fast.. caught only 2... was really not where i wanted to be... we tried over shallow mud flats just off the channel where we caught the 2 in a moderate current... tried slack water out of the current. a couple pecks., main channel would have required about an 8oz sinker. i wanted to try some drops, but had 2 others with me and i was only one with equipment for that....

bait was guts......

should i just stay away from the miss when she is doing this or what.>??

sounds like i need to get to coralville early in the year... what is a good putin place up there?

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, wasn't the best day, but certainly wasn't the worst. Caught 2 cats biggest about 3 lbs, 3 decent crappies and a bluegill. Only fished till about 8:30 as partner had an appointment. Nice morning to be out. Was thinking about trying it again this evening, but looks like it could storm.

13. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Haven't been cat fishing yet, but lots of nice, I mean nice crappie about 12 to 13+ inches and thick. Best we have caught in a lot of years. Should be cat fishing time in a couple weeks for me.

14. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I was on the the big mo. this last tuesday afternoon, fishing at our cabin which is on the Missouri river between Little Sioux and Blencoe Iowa. There had been alot of rain recently, there was alot of trash floating down the river, which made it diffiicult to catch fish, as the bait kept fowling up with weeds, has a few good bites but caught no fish. I then moved to the Harrison-Monona ditch which runs into the missouri river and fished below alowhead dam, caught three small channel cats around 2lbs each. For bait I was using fresh bluegill filets the sunday prior I fished at Lake Manawa at he Fish and Game club which I am a member and caught approx. 40 crappies on minnows only 9 keepers. I also saw and weighed for a friend Tom Tuews a 4 1/2 lb wiper, there is getting to be some nice size ones in this lake. Talked to a couple of my friends who have tried drift fishing Manawa this spring but with no luck I think its too early in the season. Should start biting soon though !! Two weeks ago the sand sturgeon were really biting good in the Missouri River on night crawlers as were a few channel cats. I was talking with Catfish Bob today 04/15/06 and what he said was last week his fishing buddy was fishing at the month of Moscito creek on the river just south of Council Bluffs and caught 2 nice channels one 12lb and one 15lb, on live chubs . I hope this helps and turn all the big one LOOSE !!!

15. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Went to hickory grove saturday caught a mess of crappie havnt had the cat poles out yet hopefully soon

16. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Was fishing west of Grand River on 4/12/06 and caught two channels, 11 lb 7oz and a 5 lb 10oz. Nice morning to fish. I think it was somewhat slow as had storms pass through the night before. Shrimp & chicken livers used on this trip. CPRd both fish. Hope to get out again soon. Good luck to all.

17. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    My step grandpa lives in grand river i should give it a try sometime when im down there

18. bogus

bogus New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Haven't dipped a worm in the water this spring, Just put out 6 baskets today to get'em soaked up. River level is up, plan on gettin the lines wet this week sometime. :)

bogus

19. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i caught a 21 lb channel at manawa and a 28 pounde blue up at prairie rose. a couple 2and1/2 pond bullhead at arrowhead

20. frostycold1

frostycold1 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Not many cats , but a bunch of crappie, bluegills and bass.