Are U Teaching yourself to fish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by robbor, Feb 6, 2007.

1. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    Im just wondering if there are many of you people out there that are beginners and trying to teach youself to really fish for the first time?
    Hopefull your die hard and have a boat. Id like to hear your experiences, thoughts or techniques your are newly trying that have paid off or not.

I remember a few years back when I was getting back into fishing and I started watching the tournaments and practicing in the back yard(pitchin jigs) and then going out on the water and saying I will catch one fish this way today. Then the search for info continues and hopefully things come togather a little and you end up on the bow of your boat yelling "I AM THE MAN!!!":lol:.
    I have to really admire die hard the die hard beginner.

2. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I kind of taught my self how to fish. My dad taught me the basics, but by 15 I was giving him tips. Nobody in my family really catfishes, so learning that was all on my own until I found this place. I already knew a large percentage of what is said on this site, but never trusted it. It's so much easier to believe something when you see it in person.

3. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Its all been said know.Thx for ?.lol.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its a never endin process that changes each time ya go out. Conditions such as water temp,depth, direction of flow if fishin tidal waters,and the bait bein used will all affect the learnin process. Don't ever say ya know it all cause none of us do. Utilize what has worked for ya and don't be affraid to try new techniques ya pic up from here as well as fishin with other folks.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    by the time I wanted to start running trotlines my grand fathers had both died and my dad was into watching my brothers play ball sports so I kinda dis it my way and it was good but i didnt catch any big ones except one that as you may have gurssed [got away ] it broke the hook when I tried to slip the net under it I think it was about 12-15 lb channel but live and learn .... thats why IM here

6. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    I've never much enjoyed being taught anything before. I always enjoy trying to watch others, and learn on my own. I've been fishing since I was a young'un, but can't say I was ever really "taught" how to fish. My pop showed me some stuff, but I'm still enjoying learning on my own, and getting lucky every now and then.

Hence a lot of the dumb questions I ask you guys!

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    well my big history family are fishermen.. When I was 4 or 5yrs old, my dad taught me how to fishing, and grew up as become fisherman, when I was 10yrs old , started learn about catfishing by myself. My family don't catfishing at all... My dad, grandpa, and uncles are fishing for musky, walleye, bass, panfish, trout, salmon and pike. In 1950s my grandpa landed 48inch blue catfish on shiner whiling he fishing for walleye. but he did not weight it. He kept it for food. I still love fishing as forever!!!

8. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    you must be the fish, my young padawan. the fish you wish to catch, you must become. trust your feelings, and the force you must allow to flow through you. then a jedi will you be.

god, I gotta get outta this house ... I think I've been watching too many reruns of star wars lately ... it's on directv all the time now.

9. Fordman

Fordman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
    Tim...........

Come over to the dark side, LOL. Too many reruns in the past.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As I grew up my dad taught me quite a bit about fishing, but mostly bass and other panfish.

Catfishing I am learning here at this site, from those I meet out on the water, and on my own.

11. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    hi mike ... if I don't get out soon I'm gonna turn into a rerun myself

12. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    my dad taught me the basics....but i never really fished for the big fish so now im tring to learn more about hooking into the bigger ones on a more steady basis instead of just by luck

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have fished all my life as it was something my family did. I have gotten into it a lot more since I have more time since retirement. I have tried many new things in the last year that I had never done before. Thanks to this site I have learned a lot of new things. Some tried and others yet to be tried. Thanks to all of you!!

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am mostly a self taught fisherman, but with u guys help lol. Now I got my family fishing.

15. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    What I've learned as an adult has been from friends and from watching others, as well as from experience. Fortunately, the folks at the local lake don't mind sharing information.

This site provides a wealth of information for fishermen of every level, including beginners like myself.

Remember, if you stop learning, you stop living.

-- Rich

16. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Dad started my brother and I into fishing but he was a truckdriver and only home 3 days a week so learning time was severely limited.
    I've tried every legal "good idea" i've heard of. Still got a lot to learn so you guys please keep posting.
    :smile2:

17. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What little I know was learned as a youngster by watching others. I have picked up an education right here on the BOC...:smile2:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Originality is the art of concealing your sources.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Short and sweet I teach my self all the time. That or I listen to others and apply it. As long as I am still getting skunked every now and then I'm not done learning.

19. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have thought myself a fisherman since I got my first rod around ten or so. If I wanted to catch something I read all I could then applied that knowledge on the water. I came late to catfishing, but even though I can catch some nice size fish now, I still learn something on every trip. I won't be satisfied till I break the 100lb mark. So I guess I'm still a newbie lol.

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I caught my first real fish, a 12" bass when I was 16. My parents weren't fisher people and I didn't know my grandparents, so I'm pretty much self-taught. Picked up a some good things here and on other forums when it comes to cat fishing and bait fishing, read a lot, and just went out and did it. Now, I find myself constantly making adjustments in a day's fishing in baits, depths, places, etc.