Are they still there you think??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Oct 1, 2008.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey guys, I need some expertise on something I am troubled with. I have a 20 acre lake across the field from my house. The lake is probably 30 feet deep or so, at the deepest point. Last week during the flood we had, the nearby creek flooded over, and was literally running through the entire width of the lake. Not just running into mind you, it was running out the opposite side, just as fast as it was running in. The lake essentially became part of the creek, and it ran like this for several days.

The creek is very small, and dry the majority of the time, but feeds a slightly larger creek about half mile down stream from the lake.

OK, now my troubles, over the past few years I have put several (12 or 15)flatheads in the lake, anywhere from 5 to almost 40lbs, as well as about 20 channel cat from 2 to 18lbs. The lake was already FULL of bullheads and shad and carp, so I know the food source is very strong. Would these fish have stayed in the lake during the flood, or have them more than likely been washed out, or swam out with the current as it was flooding? I sure hope they have stayed in there, but I am fearing the worst.

I guess if I hear of anyone catching a 40+lb flathead out of the Cowskin creek, I will have my answer! :sad2:

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they should still be there they probally hiding from the rain so they dont get wet :wink:

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    the bad news is that I had heard that big fish often go on a feeding binge during high flooded water. (supposedly bigger fish are more likely to do this 'cuz the current doesn't bother them as much)

the good news is that I have never experienced a feeding binge.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

is it one of these things that actually happens or just mindlessly reprinted in book after book? at the very least, you've got to take serious the possibility that your bigger fish are in the creek.

perhaps you could wander down cowskin creek. I would imagine a 40# cat is going to look for the deepest of spots in a small creek. and keep moving until he gets to a spot that is comfortable day and night.

I don't really know how anyone would know whether your fish left that pond? perhaps someone will have a similar experience.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I don't know the answer to that one, but I would be more than happy to assist in doing some "research" on the fish population in the pond!:wink:

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    The bad news is you probably lost some fish, but the good news is you probably gained some from some poor sap upstream.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Jeff,

I don't think the flatheads would be swimming upcurrent like a salmon to get into the creek. Channel cat, maybe, but not flats.

Most likey during those flooded conditions they are laying behind somekind of structure just waiting to ambush somehting that comes by.

It's good that the creek floods ino the lake like that, it pushes in bait fish and gamefish into the lake where the flats can gobble them up.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know for sure, but I don't think they would get washed out. Some maybe, but I think most would still be there. If there was any way for them to get out of the current, I think they would. Flats can deal with strong current. They are flat. All they gotta do is face into the current, and hug the bottom.

8. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    This same thing happened to a lake on our hunting lease when I was a kid. It nearly wiped out the bass and crappy population, but the catfishing didn't seem to change at all.
    Unless you had a dam/culvert wash out and a significant drain, id say your cats are still there.