Are They Still Hitting On Black River?

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by CIRCLE HOOK, Jun 21, 2006.

1. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    First of all I'd like to say hello, I am a new guy on here, I live in calico rock, ar. I am a catfish freak. If I have a hook in the water, I am either catfishing or catching bait to go catfishing. Let's put it this way, I live less than 2 miles on a gravel road to the pristine trout waters of white river, only to drive to Lake norfork or the AR river, or here recently the black to catfish!! Went 2 weekends ago to the black and caught 2 flatties, 2 channels and a big ol 30 in, 15 lb blue. Big blue got turned loose, had to keep the eaters for my mom and wife. They like em the smaller the better!! any way, was wondering if they were still hitting on the black??? Only been there once but it was great. Any info will be greatly apprecieated.

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    hey Circlehook,
    Welcome to the BOC and I fish Black River too. As a matter of fact, I fish it about 95% of the time. They were hitting two weeks ago and I have no reason to believe it won't be even better now. The Channel spawn should be completely over. The Flats are probably spawing now and the Blue's should be finished. I'm planning on hitting it Saturday morning if I can catch some fresh bait. Where do you launch?

3. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    Thanks for the reply Arkie55, we launched at the Shirey Bay Raney brake landing. Not really sure if thats the proper name, but thats where it is. My friend and I heard there were swamp rabbits there so we took my beagles down there (I live between Mt.view and Calico Rock) and got a few. While we were there we popped out on the bank of Black River I took one look and vowed to come back and catfish it. It looks perfect. We went and did pretty good. Actually it was one of my best nights catfishing. See, most of my catfishing has been on lake Norfork with jugs and trotlines. My buddy moved to Conway and I started going to the Arkansas river. We started catching them on poles and now I don't want to trotline and jug anymore!! Poles is where its at for me now. I'd rather catch one on my pole as ten on a trotline. Just more fun anymore. Norfork is hard to fish with poles, but I'm learning. I have started exploring new territory and appreciate the welcome to yours. Have really no idea what I'm doing, just fish stuff that looks "catfishy" to me. Fished snags in the outside bends and caught the channels and flatheads, then picked up that nice blue (my biggest ever!!) on a steep sand or mud bank. All on live slicks. I'd trade the White for the Black anyday!! Probably fish the afternoon into the night on Saturday. Maybe we'll see ya there.

4. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    Terry, I tried to PM you, but I have to make 10 posts it tells me. Anyway, thanks for the info and you can bet I'll look you up one day. I am usually short of someone to go with also. This weekend, the wife and I have a babysitter, and she's coming with me. She loves to fish, its just hard with a 2 1/2 year old boy bangin around the boat!! He is an up and coming catman, and helps catch perch. My boat is an od green Landau, 16', with a 25 yamaha 4 stroke. My truck is a 2000 Mazda 4wheel drive, it is copper colored. Looks like a ford ranger. Good luck this weekend and thanks again for the info!!
    Kenny Tyrone

5. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Kenny, welcome to the BOC. As you can already tell, there are folks here that are always ready to help a brother out. So, dive in &

6. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    (6/24/06 11:00 am)Heading out directly to go up to Corning to fish the black river. Max and I are going to launch at Shaeffers Eddy and see what we can get into.

Niether of us has fished there but will give a report when we get back. We will be using goldfish on limblines after flat head.

I may slip some cut bait in for channel but have to wait and see.

Robert

7. Cause They're Big

Cause They're Big New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansas
    Has it come down any? It was way up last weekend.

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I just checked the river level at Black Rock. It's 4.4ft and falling. Predicted to be under 4ft by Saturday. At that level it's very fishable. I like it best when it's between 3ft and 1.8ft at Black Rock but it's pretty good where it is now. Expect it to have more "color" than normal and more flow than normal but the fishing should be good. I hope to be on it Saturday morning about daylight.

9. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    how do you fish when the river is up????

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Welcome aboard Circle Hook if you are looking for places to go in your area Lake Charles is hard to beat at times the lakes at horseshoe bend my favrite up there in horseshoe bend is the strawberry river the fishing on it is half the state limit RR or poles only heres luck to you

11. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Circle,
    When it's the level it is now, I fish it the same way i do for lower water. Holes and hard bottom areas. I fish about 95% (really about a 100%) daytime so I know the fish will be in the deeper water and holding near structure. I'm looking for agressive fish so I fish the head of the hole most time. If their not aggressive, i'll adjust and move into the core or middle of the hole and stick my bait right in the cover.