Are they biting yet at Carlyle Dam in Illinois?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Flyingpig, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Has anyone been having any luck below the dam at Carlyle?
    I have to make a trip to SIU at Carbondale to pick up my son, and thought I'd head for Carlyle for a couple of hours on our way home.

2. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    caught a couple of whites the 5th but no cats yet. the walleye fishermen was on the water watched a couple with a bighead carp. not much of anything really moving yet.
    bondman

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    You'd think that the fish would be more willing since we finally had a nice weekend to fish.. but i guess i'll just have to wait for the water to warm up before i get lucky:crying:

4. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Bondman, we were down at Carlyle the other day and saw two Asian Carp laying on the bank. This was the first time I'd ever seen one and they were huge. At least 40 to 50 pounds. Sorta curious how long they can live out of the water. We were there for over an hour and they were still alive.

5. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    the river is up at carlyle dam. I am going there tonight to check out the walleye fishing might have to try some cats also.... I will post as soon as I get back...
    Bondman

6. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    NO BITE AT carlyle dam.... but I went to the lock and dam at alton the next day and lost one from the bank. watched one landed about 30# and saw 2 in the bottom of a boat very nice ones I might add....he said that he was catching them on shad. will keep a eye on carlyle and report when the flats start hitting up in there.
    Bondman

7. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Thanks Bondman for the updates.

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Bondman... where did you fish from the bank at Alton... I've been fishing the chain of rocks cause thats the only place i could find:crying:

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    You have to drive over the bridge to fish the dam but il controls it so your fishing license will be fine. Theres a lot of people who swear they catch them at the dam and I/m sure they do but i havn/t had any luck there. How ever I heard they stopped night fishing at chain of rocks so I guess I will be going to alton. Theres a place up there Iwant to try out for some flat heads.

Bondman I used to live in vandalia. you know any of the stouts?

hickesh I think I/m going to drivedown to chain of rocks , I/ll let you know what they or doing there later tonight.

10. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    You have to cross the bridge at alton and make a left by the gas station there and go all the way back and you will come to the lock and dam. I went down to the chain of rocks and turned around the guys standing around there didnt look to neighborly to me i was going to try for some skipjacks there. but like patrick said you can fish that side of the river with a Illinois fishing license I am not for sure how much of that side you can fish but there is a sign right there at the area that is where I fish right from the bank.
    Patrick, I cant seem to recall any stouts except one I drilled with in Effingham but I dont remember where he lived.
    Bondman

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    They haven't stopped nite fishing at the chain of rocks.. i was just there last weekend.. I will have to try alton and see if i have any better luck.. skipjacks weren't biting at chain of rocks.. i think its still too early for there..:crying:

12. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    Hey Harold let me know when the skips are biting at the chain of rock will ya. I was at alton and carlyle today no luck at either place but the river is up real good at carlyle and if it stays that way for some time the flats should be in there good this year.

13. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I keep a almost daily watch on chain of rocks as I live so close to it. i will let you know whats going on down there, Right now theres a few guys who say they are catching sme white bass. yesterday i tried catching some shad with the net , no luck. Later I/m going to see if i can snag some. No skip jacks yet either.