The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was fishing a small creek for sunfish for bait when I caught a bunch of these small fish. Are these some species of shiner or something else? Whatever they are I will be trying them for catfish bait tomorrow.

Edit: I caught them on a rod and reel using black soldier fly larvae

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I didnt get too many bites today they just werent very active. I caught 3 smallish ones and one that was 26" long. I weighed the plate of fillets and it was 4.6 pounds of nice meat. Here are two pictures of the fish. The water on the camera was from the catfish flopping around.

Edit- I asked a conservation agent what type of minnow these were and he said they were Stripped Shiners. He said that common shiners are in the northern part of Missouri in the Missouri river system and down here in the southeast we have Stripped shiners.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
On second look and thought...I couldn't see any spots on the dorsals, sooooooo...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On second look and thought...I couldn't see any spots on the dorsals, sooooooo...
I asked a Missouri Conservation agent that was out checking licenses what they were and he replied they were Striped Shiners.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,100 Posts
The striped shiners seem to be biting good at the creek.
Caught 4 channels on them striped shiners last night.

Creek chubs look more like this.
4-29-19.jpg

Striped shiner is below the sucker.
4-30-19a.jpg

I also catch the smaller shiners with the silver scales that fall off I believe those are just the juveniles but they die faster if you try to keep them alive.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If you can keep them alive they can work well as live whole bait. You'd be surprised even that 22" channel you got I've had channels that size take whole hand size blue gill that I would have figured only a larger flat head would take.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
If those bait fish are going to die quickly because you don't have a live well or way to take care of them, put them on ice. A cold fresh fish on ice will stay fresh just like food in your refrigerator. And will last a couple of days being a good bait. I only freeze bait when I know I need it to last a long time (weeks or months) and some baits freeze better that others. I also like to keep my baits on ice but out of water so I usually put them in a zip lock bag first.

Nothing seems to be a 100% but the fresher your bait is the batter chance you have of catching a fish on it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If those bait fish are going to die quickly because you don't have a live well or way to take care of them, put them on ice. A cold fresh fish on ice will stay fresh just like food in your refrigerator. And will last a couple of days being a good bait. I only freeze bait when I know I need it to last a long time (weeks or months) and some baits freeze better that others. I also like to keep my baits on ice but out of water so I usually put them in a zip lock bag first.

Nothing seems to be a 100% but the fresher your bait is the batter chance you have of catching a fish on it.
The ones I cut up I put in ziplock bags and put them in a Rubbermaid bowl with ice on top. Most of them I flash froze them whole in brine then vacuumed sealed them and put them in the freezer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thawed out a few striped shiners on Monday morning for some afternoon fishing. I caught seven channel catfish all but one was around 20 inches long. I kept the biggest one, it was 26.5 inches and nearly seven pounds. These shiners are just as good bait as my usually bait, sunfish.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Those are not a creek chub. I promise. They are definitely a shiner. 100% positive they are shiners. I would call them a common shiner. I will admit though that I don’t know what a striped shiner is. It is a shiner though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those are not a creek chub. I promise. They are definitely a shiner. 100% positive they are shiners. I would call them a common shiner. I will admit though that I don’t know what a striped shiner is. It is a shiner though.
Correct, Iowa doesn't have striped shiners, but common shiners are widely distributed up there. These are definitely striped shiners, same genus, Luxilus.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts