Are these good boats?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by whisker maniac, Oct 23, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just wanted some opinions and/or any further information on these boats.

They are G3 boats. Both are 1860 center console with tunnel hulls. One is model 1860cct and the other is model 1860ccj . They are both semi V but one the center console is forward and the other it is back.

2. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have owned an 1860 cc for three years now and I have had no problems with it. I have a 70 yamaha engine on it and it pushes it about 35 mph with 2 fishermen in it. I am a 60 year old catfisherman and I need a stable boat to fish out of and this boat has been great in that area. I know a fiberglass boat may be more stable but I wanted the economy of an aluminium boat. I do not have the tunnel hull on mine so I can't help you in that area. Hope this helps.

3. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Very good boats. My last boat before I got my Skiff was that exact same boat only I had a 90hp 2 stroke Yamaha on mine. A little rough ride and would get you a bit wet if you hit the right wave but that is all jonboats.
    G3 is a solid company that stands behind what they sell.

OOPS sorry, I just noticed it was a tunnel hull. Mine was a standard jonboat.

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i bought my 1860 cc deluxe model a little over a year ago. its got the 90 4-stroke, mod v hull, with vinyl lining on the deck. trolling motor, ff, all the fixings. for me it is the perfect boat. with the motor trimmed up i can pole and gig flounder in 5"'s of water. when it comes to a bad chop, a johnboat is a johnboat. it can be rough, it can get you wet. but all in all i love my boat. its got a front casting deck big enough to run trotlines with plenty of room. i have slept 2 people at a time in the floor on either side of the console both of us are 6'4 200 plus. with plenty of head and leg room. she runs about 45 when i get her skint back. i have fished 4 people at a time. and had as many as 6 on there for boat riding. its a solid, tough boat. i have bounced off of bridge pilings, been stuck on mud flats, oyster bars, sand bars, and cypress stumps. i had a tree fall across the bow, and you cant even see a dent. it gets great gas mileage. it costs way way less that other john boats of that size. it is very very stable. it looks sharp, and i have been stopped by game wardens and marine police 7 times since i got it, all they ever ask me is where i got it, and how i like it. the local gw just got one for thier office but it is the 20' cc jet tunnell hull.

i am a believer. you wont regret this boat.

my only complaint... i wish the live well was bigger.

p.s. it has pulled tubes and skiers.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    had john boats before kev and they real good boats for the way you fish.id go fishing with you in it any time.

6. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks for the quick replies guys. I've been leaning toward the 1860ccj just cause I like the Idea of the forward console. I end up fishing by mylself quite a bit and the forward console would add an advantage when going thru a stump infested area.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i thought real hard about getting the ccj myself. i run through a lot of shallow water and stumps too. actually, i dont remember why i didnt get it?

8. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    One of my biggest fears is being able to afford it with a big enough motor on it for the boat to perform well enough. You said that these boats were not as high priced as other boats. Could you give me and idea as to how much these boats run in price. I know that it could vary from state to state and it would depend on the extras and the size motor I put on it but a ball park figure would give me something to go by.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i dont mind telling you. i was stupid to a point. i had to have the fish finder, the vinyl lined hull, and a few other extras that i could have saved some money on by adding myself later on. the vinyl lining though, is a God send. it doesnt burn your feet, it absorbs some of the vibrations when your in a chop, and it is easy to clean.

as for a price. i shopped around b4 i bought it. i looked at a lowe's boat about the same size, but with a smaller motor, and it was several thousand more than the g3. the war eagle boats were also several thousand more. the sea ark's (my original first choice) were about 5 thousand more.

after taxes and extra's i paid about 14,500 for mine. with the 90 4 stroke.

i have skimped on boat motors b4 and i have to tell you i regret that i ever did. that 90 is the way to go. i can run that thing 20 miles in a day and not use a quarter of a tank. not to mention, it is quiet. it gets out of the hole real well, it can scoot pretty fast when you want it to, and my favorite thing is that it can plane off and cruise at a fairly low rpm, saving gas money.

i used to have the link to the g3 web site, but i dont have it anymore. you should definitely call some dealerships and get some prices.

boat shows are a decent option too. i almost bought the 19' g3 cc console with a 115 4 stroke for 1200$ cheaper than my 18' at the boat show, but decided it was too wide to fish some of my holes.

good luck.

10. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks for that info. This boat is sounding better and better all the time. About 3 yrs ago I looked at a war eagle 17.5ft with stick steering that had the vinyl two bait tanks and a live well with only a 60hp motor and they wanted over 17,000 for it.

Just doing the math makes it for me. Bigger boat.. bigger motor... cheaper price.... no brainer.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The forward control will benefit you also when loading the boat.

12. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas

Well except for the forward weight it would :eek:oooh::smile2:

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't know anything about them boats, but I can tell you my next one will be a center console, preferably a forward center console. With my right side console, the whole right side the boat except for the front and rear deck is useless.

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kevin,
    I had a Red Fin tunnel before and with the tunnel u need a four blade prop are it just does not plane rite after i changed my prop never had anything Else go wrong

15. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I paid $12,500 for mine in 2005. 90hp 2 stroke. 2 fishfinders, and no vinyl. The no vinyl was the biggest mistake I ever made on a boat. The brown metal will fry an egg in hot sun. It shows no mercy on your skin either. 2 stroke or 4 you can't go wrong. The G3 gets super good gas mileage with either. My boat with the 2 stroke 90 would run 45 mph on a GPS and would get there in very short order. Now if you go with a jet motor your fuel mileage will suffer tremendously.

16. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    John have you ever put anything in the bottom of the boat since you didn't get the vinyl. I was thinking that I could put rubber mats in the bottom and save several hundreds of dollars on the vinyl.

17. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    No Kevin I never did anything. I started guiding and just traded for the boat I have now. If I had kept it I was going to have it Rhino lined with a light tan color spray. Even the Rhino or the other commercial bedliners was going to cost me about a grand. Mats would help a lot though but you would have to weigh them down while trailering.

18. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Kevin, My dealer down the road sells that boat w/90 Yamaha 4 stroke for 14 to 15 depending on options. The forward console is designed for running super shallow water with a jet drive. Moving the weight forward helps keep the stern from diving in as deep on take off and also coming off plane. If your not running super shallow, the regular model would probably be better and get better gas mileage.

19. whisker maniac

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks Paul, I was looking at the forward console model because alot of the lakes I'm on has a lot of under water stumps on it and being forward when driving would help me see them better even when just idling thru. I know the forward console is more built for jets but was wondering and hoping that I can just put a prop motor on it. I haven' t talked to any dealers yet but I did write to the company. I figure the company would be able to answer my questions better than the dealers can.

20. CNTRYBOY

CNTRYBOY New Member

State:
    Benton, Ar
    Kevin - I think either Paul or Deerhunter has a G3 and might be of some help!