Are these any good???

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Holder Review' started by field989, Jun 12, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i seen a few rod holders here in town for $2 each, they are like a spring that holds the rod and a strait piece of metal that goes into the ground, are these okay for casting rods with triggers, the butt of my rod is long enough where the trigger will not be in the spring

there are also rodholders that the rod just sits on like a pole that makes 90 degree bend and the rod sits on that

any suggestions welcome

Thanks Jeff

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    You mean something like this?

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=RHV

and

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=RHH

Both from the Catfish connection's catalog... I use both and actually a little bit larger spiral (thicker metal and wider, and taller), depending on rods i'm using... I like to use spinning rods with the spiral and my baitcasters with the horizontal rod holder but i'll switch off because the horizontals fit better in my backpack as opposed to the spirals... so they are easier to pack in and out and not take up more room in my bags... I would say go for them... they are a cheap and effective rod holder...and i've never had one bend or break from a fish hitting my line...

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    wow.. u hit the nail on the head, thanks, i just didnt know if they was worth it or not, but thanks

so i should be fine with the sprial for my trigger rods or should i get the horizontal

i just need some rod holders:big_smile:

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I hate those types of rod holders. I made my own out of PVC pipe. Went to Lowes and got a couple feet of PVC pipe that was big enough for my rods to fit in. Took a hack saw and cut them about foot and a half long putting a angle on one end of the pipe so that I can put it into the ground easy and then hammer it in. Havent had one break yet and havent lost a rod out of one. Very simple to make, cheap, last a long time. Ill have to post some pics so yall get a better idea of what I use.

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i got 2 of the spiral ones from catfih connection and like them. i sortu stick em in the ground at an angle, the weight of the rod holds it where u want it

6. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    field989:

I have 6 of the Large spiral type from Catfish Connection and I absolutely love them. They work great even in soft dirt or Rocky soil and where I live ROCK. I push them down in cracks in the rock and they work Great. I would suggest that is the ground is soft or real sandy that you loosen your drag. I have have cats load the rod all the way down and the rod will not come out.

my 2 cents;

Gene

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    thanks, i would order them from CC but not enough time, so i will get them locally before i go out tomorrow

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE QUICK RESPONSES:big_smile:

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    either one would work... your refering to the casting rods with the little trigger spot and not the spincast type ones that have the fatter handle right? either one will work... just depends what you want... if your using a clicker i'd go with the horizontal one put in at a little bit of an angle so that you can have less tension on the rod to make it easier for the fish to pull out line with out feeling tension...

Good luck out there...