Are there trout in missouri?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Fry Guy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I don't know if there is anybody else on here from Oregon but the trout fishing there is awsome. I've heard there is like one river here in missouri that they stock with trout but I was wandering if there are any native trout here? Don't get me wrong I LOVE catfish but kind of miss river fishing for some big rainbow, german brown and steelhead.

2. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    FG,

I go to Bennett Springs and trout fish there at least twice a year. It is a hatchery and is great for kids to get them started. There are other places to go in the state but I am not sure where exactly. You can google Bennett Springs State Park and get the site with no problem.

They have a catch limit of 5 per day and a possession limit of 10. Conservation officers are around to keep the nonsense down and the greedy in check. There is a pool and play ground for the family. You can camp out or rent a cabin. Grocery stores are nearby and a golf course if that is your thing. On Sundays they ussually have a church service somewhere. Oh yeah, they have a restraunt right there next to the park store. It is a great place for the whole family and not too expensice.

Darrell

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Thanks Darrell. I guess I'll just wait for those times I take leave to get some big native trout (I like to plan my leave for salmon season as well) but that's OK because I have catfish to catch:)

4. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have you ever been to Ft. Seward, Alaska, fishing with the bears on a salmon run? OUTSTANDING is the only word to describe it!

5. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    When I was up north I fished for the Kings to take the place of catfish...and now your fishing for cats as a sub for the Kings...go figger..LOL knock em dead Fry Guy..I did.;)

6. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I have been fishing in Alaska but not in Ft Seward but around Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan. My dad logged in Alaska for about 20 years it's a hunters and fishermans paradise. King/silver salmon and halibut mostly it's a great place that every avid fisherman should visit at least once.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Trout are not native to Missouri. Do a Google for "missouri trout spencer" and you will find several articles by Spencer Turner, aka Mr. Trout of the MDC (Missouri Dept Conservation).

As other members have posted there are several trout parks in Missouri, but rainbows do naturally reproduce on the North Fork of White River, and it produces some challenging fishing. Do a Google for "missouri wild rainbow" and you will find all the info you need about the North Fork.

If you have any questions let me know.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Trout are in many of Missouri's waters. There are hatcheries that keep the populations up. I have seen several streams with good numbers. Browns are also found. I love the Ozarks and they offer a wide variety of fishing opps.

9. ironbelle

ironbelle New Member

State:
    San Diego, CA
    You guys in Oregon should have good fishing there. I knew a guy who lived near the Umqua River and said he would go down and watch flyfisherman all over the river.

10. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Yes we do have good fishing. I went to school and lived right near the Umpqua and it has some fantastic fishing. I got into flyfishing briefly but someone stole all of my equipment to I never got around to replacing it. One of the biggest fish I have ever caught was actually on the Umpqua. I went down to fish for smallmouth a few hours before I had to go to school. I had my bass pole with 10lb line and threw out a small plastic minnow and on my first cast hooked into a monster. I didn't even see the fish for about 30 min. After about an hour I got it in and it was a 48lb salmon.:)

11. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    FryGuy:

Like prvious posts said, There is Bennet Springs State Park, and Montock(spelling) State Park over near Licking, MO but they both offer trout fishing. And Lake Tanecomo Starts at Branson,MO and runs down For about 15 or 20 miles and it is almost total trout fishing in it.

BTW, I lived in Kenai, AK for 8 years and I do know what you mean about Great King, Silver, and Red Salmon fishing as well as the Halibut. It is AWESOME.

Gene

12. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Alaska, now that's a subject I can get into. I was born in Anchorage and had family that lived in Seward for over 40 yrs. My grandfather and grandmother worked for northern stevendor for many years. I've climed mount marathon and fished the bay and the 4th of July creek area many times. I'm headed with my wife to Sitka in August to visist my dad who is a piolot out of there. He has purchased a Beaver and it is being restored in the state of Washington and should be up and going my april. My last name is Salmon and salmon fishing is definatly in the plans. I have two daughters that are 10 and 8. as part of the trip we are hoping to catch a variety of Salmon with one of diffrent species to be mounted for the four of us! I am also hoping to go on up north to seward to take some pics of my grandparents old house and possibly work in a caribu hunt!.

13. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I've only gotten to go back a few times and will continue to everytime I get a chance. My dad had his own plane while living there to. That and by boat were the only ways to get in and out of the logging camps. Alaska is one of the last great wilderness areas left, hopefully it stays that way I love it there.

14. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I haven't been there is almost 20 yrs. My mom went to seward 3 yrs ago for a high school reunion and said I wouldn't even recognize it. said eveything is so commercilized now. But hay, people have to make a livin'!! I hopin' to hit the silver salmon derby while I'm their.

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Roaring River state park is another hot spot. Best hit it during the week cause weekends it's elbow to elbow. Spring River in Arkansas another hot spot.

16. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Here's the ultimate in trout fishing for you here in Missouri. It's Lake Taneycomo in Missouri. You'll wear 'em out and yourself, too!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!! My best trip was 314 in 3 days of fishing and I took it easy on 'em. Try fishing with 2 lb. test with Fluorocarbon 2 lb. test leader and use Trout Magnets. God bless.

17. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    The Conservation also stocks several lakes in the St. Louis area from November through February with trout. Busch Wildlife, Suson, Forest Park, and Carondellet(speeling). are all stocked monthly with rainbows and browns.

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    great catch fry guy? my only question is did it make you late for school?

19. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Roaring River is Missouri's hot spot for trout. Weekends the banks are lined with people. During the week it isn't near as bad. Good luck whereever you go.

20. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    merimac springs,theres a hatchery there and some nice size trout:)