Are there suppose to be hole in the boat?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by curveball, Apr 5, 2007.

1. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Have a Starcraft (have written the company also) 1988 and put it in the water Monday to check it out. Heard the gurgling noise again and it reminded me of two holes in the bottom of the boat. Both the size of eraser head, both were there when I bought the boat, one front and one back. Sounds like water filling a jug and there is no water in the boat at all, period, none to be found. Almost like they are in tubes as part of the boat but they are not added on. Wonder if they are there so the boat will sit lower in the water or what??? I have considered filling them in but I don't know.

If anyone knows an answer and could pass it on I would be most happy and thankful. Thanks much.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Are you sure its not filling up your livewell

3. curveball

curveball New Member

State:
    Saint Clairsville, Ohio
    Yes Sir!! Livewell is shut down and when I did use it, it filled from the back of the boat, an intake there. Thanks for the thoughts though.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would wait and see what the company would say, but i don't see the point of holes in a boat... it doesn't really make sense at all... i'm not sure what type of boat yours is (jon, v-hull, skiff, etc.) so i wouldn't be able to tell u where else to look for water... if it is a style of boat that has a floor above the hull then is there water getting in under the floor?... i looked on the bottom of my boat which is an 89 javelin 366 fish and ski which has the floor above the hull, and there were no holes except the one where the pump for the livewell comes through the bottom... hope the company can get back to u and give u accurate info, but till then i would be careful on the water.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Maybe they are there to let the water out if it does leak.:smile2:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Are you sure you did not tic someone with a portable drill off? Sounds like a 1/4 inch drill bit to me. Do the holes look like they were casted in the fiberglass, or are they randomly applied? Sounds like they may not have wanted to sink you, but to let you know they were upset about something.

7. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Joe
    Have an older aluminum starcraft boat first time I discovered the holes in my keel was when I pulled the boat out of the water and discovered water was running out of the bottom of the boat. It appears at least on my boat there is a pair of factory holes drilled into the keel to drain the keel which appears to be a separate piece riveted to the bottom of the boat. I don,t worry about it anymore. I never had any water in the boat and wasn’t able to hear it inside the boat. Hope this helps. Luck