Are there stripers in the Cape Fear?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by mhbomber, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mhbomber

mhbomber New Member

State:
    Wilmington
    I have heard that stripers are in the Cape Fear River. Is this true and are they in there year round?

Thanks!

2. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I believe that there are some resident stripers in the river at all times. I don't think that they're in there in enough numbers to go out and fish for them though. I know of a guy who caught one in Town Creek last year in the late summer and two of my friends caught them in April in there. Also saw a guy pulling one in down town in June sometime. If you're out there fishing for bass/drum with some sort of minnow type lure enough you'll hook one.

3. plugneck

plugneck New Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught several below lock and dam #1 but none of them had any size to them.

4. Long Wiskers

Long Wiskers New Member

State:
    NC
    I caught a 2lb stripper between Fayetteville and Lock #3 the last weekend in May

5. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    If u do catch any make sure that you dont keep them.I wouldnt want u to get a ticket :wink:

Date: June 16, 2008
    Phone: (252) 726-7021

STRIPED BASS SEASON CLOSES JULY 1
    MOREHEAD CITY – Recreational striped bass fishing will close July 1 in all central and southern waters of the state.
    The closure will implement new striped bass restrictions, including an annual striped bass fishing season, adopted by both the N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission and the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission.
    The closure will encompass all coastal waters from a line running from Roanoke Marshes across Pamlico Sound to Eagle Nest Bay (near Pea Island National Refuge in Dare County) to the South Carolina state line. Waters within the closure area include coastal, joint and inland designations of the Neuse, Tar-Pamlico and Pungo rivers and all their tributaries extending upstream to the first impoundment of the main course of each river or tributary.
    Possession of striped bass in these waters will be prohibited during the closure, and all striped bass that are caught must be immediately returned to the water.
    The season will open from October 1, 2008 through April 30, 2009 in all central and southern waters, except the Cape Fear River, with an 18-inch minimum size limit and a two-fish per person creel limit. Also, no striped bass between 22 inches and 27 inches may be taken from waters classified as joint or inland.
    The Cape Fear River will remain closed to striped bass fishing year-round.

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    What if I catch one in The Haw River below Jordan Damn or in The Deep River above the Deep-Haw split ? This is actually the mouth of the Cape Fear. I would have to return to the boat ramp on 42 by going down several miles of The Cape Fear. I wonder if any WildLife Officer would take my word that I caught it above the Cape Fear ?

7. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    If you cross into "forbidden" waters your catch has to follow its rule... so no.

8. AventonCat

AventonCat New Member

State:
    NC
    Fred, the area you refer to is the buckhorn impoundment, yes you can keep them.