Are there skipjack on the Kaw?

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by smhmc6, May 17, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I plan on fishing on the Kaw and putting in at Kaw point next weekend. I was wondering if there are any skipjack on the Kaw? I've never tried for them and I don't even know were to look so any help would be great. Also, I assume you catch them with those sabiki rigs right? Thanks.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

I maybe wrong but I think Those Rigs Are Illegal Here In Kansas. Just A Heads Up.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks, I forgot about that.

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

no skip jacks in kansas as far as i know just shad and goldeyes are the only thing i can think of that would look like a skip jack

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I have personaly put pounds and pounds of skipjack in the Kaw, however they were in pieces, don't think you'll find live ones. They do work though, the blues and the gar love em.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Actually We do catch a few on the Kaw every spring. But they are very few and far between. We get them in our nets every once in a while from the tunnel at Turkey Creek. Unfortunatly they are repairing the tunnel this Year and have the vast majority of it dammed off. no skips this year. THe last 2 seasons I've caught like 2-3 per season. Not enough of them around here to target for bait.

BTW if you can go to a lake or something and bring some shad with you You'll be better off. Bait is very difficult to come by on the river this Year. In our tourney last night They wanted Shad or Carp. The blues are biting pretty good and the Flatheads are starting to come around.

7. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    What lake do you go to in KC for the shad?

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Just about any small lake in the area has shad. Or you can go to LOZ and get them.

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was crappie fishing at Hillsdale saturday along the bridge by the Marysville boat ramp. Keeper crappie were hard to come by but there were shad all over the place in the shallows along the rip rap.Didn't have my cast net...not very good with it anyway caught 15 shad with a dipnet though.Caught 40 crappie but they were all Flavor Flave's {short black males} not the Rosie O'donnells {large white females} I was looking for.

10. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Shad are spawning, that is why they are up on the rocks a plenty!