Are there sand fleas on Texas coast?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by aggiecat, Aug 4, 2009.

1. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    I just got back from a trip to Florida, and learned about sand fleas or mole crabs. Do these exist on the Texas coast line?

2. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They do at Galveston.

3. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

You bet they do..... We have gotten them at surfside, freeport, galveston, San Luis Pass

4. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    They do but they are real small here. I dont think they even use them for bait here. In Lake Worth I used to rack em up and slay the permit/pompano with them in the surf.

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    They do but I have not sen alot but I don't look real hard for them.

6. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks guys, everyone I talked to in florida says they are great. I never new about them all other times at texas gulf coast. they are easy to catch once you know what to look for. thanks again

7. renji2476

renji2476 New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Okay just out of curiosity what are they and what do I have to look for? I thought those things were little mites... Guess not! :crazy: LOL!!!

8. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    In the surf where the waves wash up and go back you will see lots of bumps in the sand. It'ssand fleas feeding. The bumps are their little heads as the are partially buried in the sand. We used to make these screened in racks and rack the bumps and you'll catch these crustaceans about 1.5 inches long. They look like huge fleas kinda. they are a sandy tan color.
    We used to catch a few dozen and then slowly walk the beach and watch where the waves break. You would see pompano and permit feeding in the breaks. You just made a short cast into the wave and hold on. it was a blast on light spin gear.

Here in TX they average 1/4in in size. I dont think many fish pursue them.

9. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    The sand fleas that I caught looked like a crawdad without a tail and without pinchers. you can see a picture if you search sand flea on the net. Unfortunately we could not fish in florida at the beach we were on because of what the locals called june grass. You would get so much of this on your line you could barely real in your line even without a fish.