Are there more or fewer Flathead Catfish since you've began targeting them?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kyredneck, Feb 16, 2009.

Is the flathead population increasing or declining in the waters you fish?

1. Increasing

2. Declining

3. Same as always

4. Just don't know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    There's more flatheads where I'm at than I've ever known, and bigger too. What's it like in the waters you're fishing. Are they thicker or they getting more scarce?

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    according to the commission in my area they are basically converging from 2 directions moving upstream from Philly area and washing out of Blue Marsh and coming downstream .Win,win for me I love it not everyone know about flatheads in my area so better for us few who do know

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Not really sure, Ive been doin about the same but have only been fishing the area for two years and both were different. This year keeping measurements, weight, and amounts of fish caught. I always have a general idea but goin to go more in depth this year.

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    INCREASING! That flatheads have established themselves as new King of the River here in Philadelphia. They have been on a warpath for the last few years gobbling up everything and anything. Small game fishing (bass, sunfish, bullheads, walleye) have declined in past 5 years. They have no predators nor enemies except man. Soon they will have to start eating each other:embarassed::crazy::eek:oooh:.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There are probably more in my area than when I started fishing. I don't think many people target them because of the work it takes to catch them consistently. Most everyone around fishes with liver because of the ease of getting bait. Good for them and me!!!!

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In my area there are only a few that target flatheads on the river. I think the pop. is good on the area I cover, I also think it gets better the farther south towards the Ohio.The main reason for few flathead fisherman is the type of boat you need to navigate the river (jet) also it gets tricky at night.:cool2:

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    the least amount of people fishing for them the better:wink: let them spread

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

It has nothing to do with the number of catfisherman, it does with the number of catfishermen that eats their catfish:wink::cool2:.

9. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And the knowledge of the fisherman. I've seen some guys that think they know everything about flatheading and couldn't catch a cold in the dead of winter in Alaska soak n wet!!!!!

10. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I eat every Fleathead I can catch yum , yum , " Catch Clean Cook " = CCC . All Yall keep on CPR . We need all you lazy Fisherman that are to lazy to clean a fish . To keep on Catching and Releaseing all yall catch that will be more for me . Thank you

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    CCC. i luv it. That's generally what I do unless my freezer's full. Flathead is gourmet eating.

ccc, i luv it.......... ccc

12. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Y'all are lucky, we don't have 'em this far south in FL:sad2:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    After you have eaten all the flatheads from where you come from, please come and eat all the Schuylkill flatheads you want! The are so full of PCBs and contaminants, no one would dare to stink their teeth into one:crazy:.When you grow a third ear and tail and become The Toxic Avenger:smile2:, don't tell me I didn't warn ya:wink:!

14. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    YeaTan he would start to glow after his 2nd or 3rd fish:smile2:

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ........wow, i pity you PA guys. So where do you get the fish that you do eat, from Wal-Mart?

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

We're lucky enough to have the Atlantic Ocean about 1.5 hours from us Eastsiders and there's plenty of clean ocean fish like striper bass, flounder, weakfish, tog, bluefish, seabass, kingfish, cod, ling, and tuna. 90% of all the lakes, rivers, creeks, and streams are contaminated with pollution. The only freshwater fish I would ever consider eating is maybe a stocked trout.

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    The water quality of the great miami is getting better actually you guys in Philadelphia catfishing better watch you might have a mutant flathead 10 foot long stalking you eventually:wink: from all the chemicals but seriously they have increased I have ti give miami concernvecny credit for helped to restore this watershed rick :eek:oooh: :smile2:

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    .......well hell griz, we all gotta die some way.........

20. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I fish the lakes in NE Oklahoma and am catching more flatheads. There is a min. size on them now and I think that has helped.