Are there large turtles where you fish?

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Larry Beever, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    As well as fishing for cats I also target
    snapping turtles and softshells. Are any of you
    seeing an abundance of large turtles where
    you're fishing? A lot of fishermen hate them
    because they steal your bait. I'd be glad to
    come and thin them out. Thanks in advance
    for any info.

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well you should just jog on down to the white river somewhere with some bloody chicken liver and enjoy yourself. I've caught some nasty huge turtle's, snappers and soft shells...:wink:

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Bill's steering you in the right direction. There is an abundance of turtles in the White River. I'll occasionally get a big snapper while using bluegills for bait, the but the real annoyance is the exploding population of soft shells in there. They eat any bait I use in there: bluegills, goldfish, minnows, nightcrawlers, wheaty balls, corn, even had one hit a rubber worm in there one time. I like turtles and other reptiles, but there's entirely too many softshells in that river. On probably half of my catfishing outings there, I'll catch 3 turtles for every cat I catch.

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Yeah we have a few. Hope this pic works.

5. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Didn't get it but I will keep trying.

6. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I'm sure there are big turtles in White River.
    The only problem is that I catch turtles to eat
    and I'm afraid to eat anything from there.
    It's too bad. But thanks for the advice!

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    don't blame ya there...but as you know, river and creeks are where you'll see the softshells.
    ponds that are around a river or stream will always contain snappers and sometimes a soft shell but I'd say the eatin size's in that pond migrate from a river you may not want to eat out of... unless it's an older pond our you eat sliders.?

8. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I usually fish at Eagle Creek and I hope that
    it's far enough from the river to be safe. I've
    been fishing for them there steadily since last year with no ill effects. As far as slider go
    I've heard that they are not safe to eat.I don't know why or if it's even true. But they
    don't get that big anyway. Thanks again!

9. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hey Alan, We all Know that everything's BIG
    in Texas but it's too far for me to travel.
    I would still like to see the pics. Thanks Buddy!

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im with you on that, the most contaminated thing in any river certainly is the turtles. they have been absorbing contaminates a lot longer than the fish. we have some lakes up here with some 20 30#ers. long way to go for them, but if you want to know where drop me a PM.(NE indiana lakes)

11. thenightstalker

thenightstalker New Member

State:
    indiana
    you need to hit up the eel river public access site in liberty mills just off highway 13. there are some HUGE turtles in that river. the best bait to use is some beef stew chunks that have sat out in the sun for 3 or 4 days. you can find the chunks in the meat section of the grocery store. livers will bring you lots of yellow bellies. stay with the chunks. the are thick and hearty and little fish cant pull them off your hook. they will land you nice turtles or nice cats. i use nothing but chunks, and do extremely well when i am fishing for them

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    you are more than welcome to come to kansas and fish the arkansas river here in central kansas they are thick

13. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We have some excellent fishing for turtles here in South Eastern Indiana. I know of several guys that drive from 3-4 hours away. There are several creeks to try, I can give them to you if you want. We go out every once in a while and do it and you can expect to tangle with 10-15 softshells and 5-10 snappers in a night. The snappers run in the 10 pound range, with some being 30+ and the softshells are extremely big for a softshell. We use cut shad or chicken livers on tree lines.

Note: They are coming from creeks that flow into the Ohio River if that makes you nervous.

14. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I know NE Florida is a bit far to go for turtles, but we have tons of big softshells. I use beef kidneys for turtle bait, cheap to buy and is really tough. very hard to get off the hook...

15. paintball1022

paintball1022 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i was camping at sullivan and at the fish cleaning stations they had alot of turtles and pretty nice size to

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There are lots of turtles on the Arkansas River system. The big ones are alligator snapping turtles, and are protected as an endangered species. The largest one of these I've 'caught' was about 25#-30#. I say 'caught', because I had my daughter cut the line on it, rather than try to remove the hook or bring it into the boat. If it had gotten into the boat, I think we would have given it to him!
    The largest I've heard of being caught was in Piney Bay, off Lake Dardanelle, and weighed 125#. The guy brought in in, let the newspapers get photos, then took it back to where he caught it and released it. He was lucky. He could have been fined just for messing with it.

17. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i bet the article in the paper educated a few that didnt know better. glad the fuzz didnt ticket him! the pricks up here would probably ticket their own grandma for picking up a dead clam shell!

18. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've caught a few down at Patoka lake. I've always turned them loose.
    Maybe I'll be able to save them for you the next time.

19. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I'd be verry apperciative if you did. I just hope hope it would be worth the effort for you to do that! Thanks,And I hope that there's
    something that I could do for you as well.

20. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Glenn Flint Lake in Putnam county has some monsters in it as well as many young ones. Depending on what you like. I always catch a turtle out there.