Are there flathead catfish in your fishing hole?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Catmaster, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have descovered and read about habitat for Flathead and what I have found out is that in most creeks or Rivers with a solid rock bottom have flathead in them. I have only fished about 4 rivers and 3 creeks with a rock bottom and this is just what I thought to be true. I do realize that flats can also strive in mudy ponds and rivers though. Hope this helps!!!

2. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Unfortunately I can't tell you if there are flatheads in it or not with any certainty right now, Catmaster, but the creek that I fish 90% of the time has a hard rock bottom. I was going to put out some setlines out on it though to see if I couldn't lure one out sometime during the night with a live creek chub. I just hope those dang bass dont find a liking for it either ;) Sorry I cant help you out further, but as soon as I know, I will pass the information onto you.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    im not sure here man i dont have blues or flats anywhere within 200 miles from Raton NM Unless the rio grande has em nd then thats about 190 miles.:sad2:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The rivers I fish for flatheads have a combination of bottoms, gravel, rock, sand and mud..I seem to do the best over sand or mud bottoms.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Here in Kansas, almost every body of water has at least SOME flats in it. Whether anyone knows about it, or has caught any is another thing, and you have to be careful when asking around if there are because of two reasons:

1. They just don't get the fishing pressure the other fish do, because not as many people know HOW to fish for them.

2. You would be amazed how many of the "novice" or "casual" fishermen can't or don't know the difference in a channel, blue, and a flathead. Countless times I have heard people call a large blue or channel cat a flathead, simply because they assume if it is that large, it must be a flathead.

I have caught flatheads out of some ponds you would have NEVER guessed them to be in, while fishing for bait, or seining crawdads.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yes there is, because on a calm quiet night I can hear them laughing at me.

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    in the places where i fish under a dam there's flattys but most of the ponds and lakes i fish only got blues or channels