Are there catfish in the Merimac River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by chisamsr, Jun 4, 2007.

1. chisamsr

chisamsr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I seem to catch is bass, what kind of bait should I be using?????

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    The Meramec is a long river where abouts are you fishing at?

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Personally, I have never had much luck on the Meramec. I have heard that upstream from Pacific is far better, but have never tried it. I put in at Arnold last saturday. Didn't take long getting shad and then fished the Mississippi. There was a time that I would fish near the mouth of the river, but having never caught a cat there, I gave up.

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kutter.. Have you ever fished up by George Winter park before?

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I fish the Meramec with my kids and we catch a lot of eating size cats in the 2-5 lb range nothing big. I have friends that fish on the point. where it dumps into the miss. and they do pretty good.

Oh I used chicken liver, hot dogs, and hog wild stink bait

good luck and good fishing

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right now or for the past 3 weeks, the flying carp are stacking up there out of the main current.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Vince, I used to go out of George Winter Park all the time. It's a great place to test the boat out on a years first ride. I tried fishing out of there, from the quarries up to 44 bridge, not one fish in many attempts. I know of several who do find them, like around the log jams near the swimming area. When fishing out of Flam City, I have only really tried hard around the mouth area. Still, no fish. It must be that there are no fish there. Surely it couldn't be ME!:roll_eyes:

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What do you say we wait until the spawn is over and run it then. I know a few spots that we can catch a few given better conditions than we have currently.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I can only handle so many dirty looks from my wife. I am getting the hint that the freezer is void of catfish. Seeing as how I rarely bring any home, because I release them all of course, I was wondering how jugs would work on the Merrimac? The only time I use jugs is when targeting 2-7 lb'ers for keeping. I can use them either as free floating or anchored. I've never tried it here, but I bet trying to keep 30 or so jugs from getting out of sight would be a hoot.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT

Tom, when you decide to head out with those 30 jugs...you let me know cause I have got to be there!!!!!! That would be quite the site!!:lol::lol::lol:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    If you go juggn with the famous Kutter just make sure the fishes lips are the only thing with a hook through it. :tounge_out: See, Ol kutter likes to run 8 ott hooks in one side of his hand and out the other so he can chum. LMAO. Sorry Tom. Couldnt pass that one up.

12. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I havent jug fished in many years. I just need some good dip bait and that will keep ya busy enough if used right.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now lets keep the facts straight, Cuz, keep the facts straight. I DID NOT put that hook through my hand for the purpose of chumming. Chumming simply was a wise use of resources at the time. I mean, why waste all that blood letting it spill in the boat when there was a perfectly good and proper use for it at the time.

Vince, the most I have ever put out on a river was 50 freefloating jugs on the Illinois River. I felt like Rowdy Yates watchin herd over that many. I've only lost two jugs in my life, both when I watched them get dragged underwater and they never came back up. Those must have been the fish I really wanted. The largest fish I ever caught with a jug was a 27 lb Channel. Biggest Channel I ever caught also. Anyway, it was only able to hold the jug underwater for about 10 seconds. Makes you wonder what could pull them under and keep them down.

Man, now ya got me really hankering for a jug trip. Do you think it would be worth trying the Merrimac down at this end?

14. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Considering the luck we have had out on the big river seems to make sense to me? The back up off the MS river will slow down the merimac will be an added plus. Maybe Sat night is open?

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I live in Fenton only about 5 minutes from George Winter park and would love to do some juggin on the river. If you want anyone to tag along I'd be willing (except Saturday night....I've already got plans).

As for fish in the river me and my dad fished the Meramec just up from the 21 bridge 20 years ago and between trot lines and limb lines hauled fish out everyday. So, unless they all ran away I know there are some in there and I'm not talking about babies either. The biggest we ever caught was a Flathead that was near 70lbs......many Blues in the 40-50lbs. range....and alot of good eatin size ones as well. I made up 8 limb lines the other day and was planning on going up in that area to set them up. Never made it that day it started raining, but still planning on heading up there eventually.

16. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds good, we all will just have to find a time and go. Im sure Cuz and Gary would like to go. For that matter, Bill, Dan and whoever else might even come down.

17. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Heck yeah, I'd drive down there for a gathering of that sort. Sounds like a good time!

18. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm thinkin' that I may have get my noodle jugs and boat down to meet you guys.... sounds like a good time. Though my experience is on the lower Gasconade, I may be able to catch one on the Meremac.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Sounds like a good time to me, too bad I left all my bank poles up at Mark Twain in my camper.:angry: I guess jugs it will have to be!!:big_smile::big_smile::angry:

20. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I guess we are just waiting for Kutter on this one..