Are there any SkipJack in the Portsmouth/Ripely/Mayesville area

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Jan 3, 2008.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey all you catfish brothers, Are there any skipjacks up around Portsmouth/Ripely/Mayesville?? If so could some of you be kind enough to provide some good locations to catch them? I have not heard too much about people catching them east of Cincinnatti, but they have to be there! Let go of those secrets and help a brother out!

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    you get them to give up there secrets and ill meet you there ranger

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Come Ohio brothers I bet some of you have some valuable information. I know some people who would like to catch some Skips and the live in central Ohio. CAN THE SKIPS BE CAUGHT IN THE OHIO AROUND PORTSMOUTH, RIPELY, OR EVEN MAYESVILLE KY AREA???:wink:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

If you're talking Portsmouth,OH come on up river a few miles to the Greenup Locks & Dam on the OH side. Last couple times I was there the skippies were too. I haven't been since its gotten real cold and the river has came back to normal but usually you can get shad and skippies there. I was also told that their slaying the Sauger there right now.
    Now, whats your addy so I can send you my bill for the secrets...:wink::smile2:

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey hilljack, did you get that, it looks like you can get some skippies up there around greenup dam.

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    CatfishJohn, could you provide me with some directions to help me find the place you are referring too. Thanks for helping me out, I didn't think anyone was interested in giving up those secrets up there.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Its no secret, just tryin to help a Brother out.:wink:
    Not sure where exactly you are but you know where Maysville is. Go through there and the easiest way I can say is follow the AA Highway all the way to the end where it meets US 23. Go straight across the Jesse Stuart Bridge and you're over top of the dam. Right before you get all the way across there is a little road on the Left. Take that and go down the hill. You'll see a gravel parking area, just park in there. Walk over the hill(steps) and you'll probably see lots of people there fishing.
    Let me know when you plan on going and I'll try to meet you there.
    Let me know if you need better directions, I suck at them though...:smile2:

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You can get them in Aberdeen across the river from Maysville, fish the mouth of the warm water discharge there, they are there, just not as thick as they used to be.:wink:

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    RANGER4U THATS ALOT CLOSER THAN TENN. AM WAITING FOR DELIVERY TONITE

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hilljack, I talked to Johnny today, i will be meeting him outside of Nashville around 1900, He is going to spend the night there and he will be going up to Ohio on Saturday. I will ice them down good, but you will need to get them in the freezer ASAP on Saturday, I would expect he will arrive around 2 or 3 PM. I have time to catch some more before I have to meet him so I will try to fill a small foam cooler to send as well.

11. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    he is driving a semi just catch enough to fill it up

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Allright Willie, no more SECRET info till you put up a photo. LOL
    We wanna see your smiling face. Hey john is the best place to catch skippys in the slack or the whitewater? I caught one up here on the muskingum last year in slack water behind an island. I know I lost two more, I was using a white roadrunner spinner trying for bass lol. I know guys use three or four bait rigs to catch them. 4 at a time, just wondering why I caught them there? If you know what I mean.

13. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hilljack it looks like they are starting to get nervous..............It won't be long until our plan comes together now. All of them are going to stop fishing and leave the cats to us! By the way, that was two coolers full of skips that I sent up.

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    S Man
    I have been catching them like crazy using just a lead head jig and a 1 inch white rubber worm . Tie two of these to your line about 1 foot apart and they have been going crazy. I see alot of people using more complex systems but it is not necessary at all. Skipjack termianl tackle $3.50! Record Blue Cat.............Priceless!!

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've caught them both places. Everytime I've been there there have been a lot of people on the walk way closer to the dam(whitewater) so I usually catch them down a little farther where the water is still pretty swift and swirly. One of the guys that fishes there a lot told me the bigger ones tend to be up in the whitewater closer to the dam. The ones I caught were all between 6-10", not too big but good enough. Almost all the ones I caught were right up against the walk way wall. I wouldn't even cast, just let about 8-10' of line out and let it flow and they'd hit it.
    BTW, I was using a Sabiki Rig but in Ohio you can only have 3 hooks on it. Luckily a guy there let me know that before the Game Warden came by. Saved me a ticket for not reading up on the rules and regs.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Shane, the day they came to basic and were recruiting guys for the ranger school, I volunteered, along with my buddy of 5 days, lol. He was Stinger, I was Patriot. They accepted him, me not. The one time in my life where the bigger missle didn't count for squat lol. I was dumb and asked why he got to go and I didn't. Drill SGT. said he can jump out of a chopper with a stinger on his back, no way in hell you can do that with a Patriot lol. GO RANGERS!

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    John if your using your KY license cant you use whatever you want? I thought thats how that worked.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You have to follow the laws of the state you're in. If I was in KY it would have been ok. I wish I had saved the e-mails from the dnr where I had made sure I could fish over on that side with a KY license. They made sure to tell me that if I was over there to follow Ohio's laws and if I had an OH license and was fishing on the KY side to follow KY's laws. They also said I could fish the main stem of the river but not any tributaries coming into it. I'll be getting an OH license when they renew for the year so I can fish anywhere over there.:cool2:
    Hope I didn't confuse you as bad as they confused me for a while...:confused2::wink::big_smile:

19. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well yes and no on the confusing part :smile2:, I was told by ODNR that if I had a OH license I could fish the main river or banks of the OH on the KY side but I had to follow OH rules and regs. It also said that if you have a KY license that you would follow KY rules. Like you I cant find my email from them either LOL

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Alright, I'll go do some digging and get back to you. Now I'm confused also...:confused2::smile2: